Host banned due to guest Drug and Covid violations

Host banned due to guest Drug and Covid violations

Hello Everyone,

I was a Super host with over 600 + 5* reviews, and zero negative reviews and I want to tell me story over the past month of how Airbnb has not only ruined our business but staff we also employed. 

We recently had a incident at one of our properties about 5 week ago that turned out to be a group of guests that tried to fake positive lateral flow tests to extend there stay. This was caught out as we had Amazon Ring door bells in place which showed even after notification of this they continued to go in and out of the property. 

Later on it came evident to us more people arrived and with notification from the neighbours a party was occurring.  We notified Airbnb of this who forward it to the trust and safety team, though couldn’t give a time frame on when this would be dealt with. 5 Hours past, and even with continuous phone calls to Airbnb no action was taken.

As a responsible business in this situation we decided we needed to take action, 1. Due to the risk of the residents if a Covid risk was true, 2. A party was taking place, 3. Our property is our asset that we need to protect.

We contacted the police and informed them of what was happening and they met us at the property, the police had to end up forcing entry as they refused to open the door. On entry the police found drugs, of which two of the guests got arrested for. 

Airbnb have suspended our account and now disabled it, as they are stating we entered a property against there terms of service. Though Airbnb didn’t act appropriately to the situation and only contacted us 48 hours+ later. We had a duty and legal responsibility to enter and put stop to the situation happening before it escalated out of control. 

We have appealed, gone to the CEO, head of operation in the EU (Catherine), and nobody will respond or deal with the matter.

Does anyone have any advice?

I expect this post prob will be deleted as we have had to make a new account to post it.

10 Replies 10
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Luke477 
You have done the right thing reporting them to Police as they are the investigating Authority.

@Catherine-Powell 

Would you please follow up on this if it's your Department, or refer it to the appropriate one?

Thanks in advance

@Helen427 Thanks for the reply.

We have been already bombarding @Catherine-Powell email, LinkedIn, twitter over the past two weeks but she’s seems not interested at all. 

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Since I joined Airbnb in late 2020, I don't ever recall seeing a response on the CC from @Catherine-Powell

Now her link is not appearing under @

Something seems to have changed.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@M199 You are SO wrong. @Catherine-Powell has replied to many posts where Airbnb or she herself has been praised. 

Now I will admit I have never seen her respond to any critical posts but I guess that is the Disney training kicking in.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Ugh, now it's appearing, after my post!

@M199 Yes it takes a while to load when you tag her….

So @Catherine-Powell has blocked our Linked in account as her profile image has vanished from our pending request. How do i know? Well search her LinkedIn without being logged in shows her account in full.

Two images attached showing this. Clearly shows management dont want to deal with real issues and ignore them!

I thin this might be the time to approach the media 

**[Inappropriate content hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

BenkaandKeith0
Level 10
United States

First of all, we are very sorry for your bad experience. Why we am not surprised? Airbnb with all their head people is acting as moronic company for several years now. We've repeated over and over again, this platform become the venting chanel, but NOTHING gets solved. You are on your own pal, and possibly, better of without Airbnb. Go host to other platforms, if you are good, something great should come out of that. It is beyond upsetting see all those desperate hosts with zero support, confusing messages and everything but consistent following of their own policies. Shame on you Airbnb!

Shocking, I’m absolutely horrified to read your story. If a host does not have the backing of the organisation. Why go down the road of letting, after all you would not hand over the keys to your property to just anyone in the street for a couple of pounds or dollars per night. I for one will be looking at the legalities and responsibilities of everyone involved with a booking starting with the organisation, guests and hosts. As you stated , this isn’t for fun it’s a livelihood and for some a life long savings invested in properties and it is hard work.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

I would really like to see what Airbnb thinks you should have done under the circumstances.

Nothing? Maybe hope that the neighbors call the police for you? 

How much criminal activity are you supposed to ignore? 

I personally think you did what you had every right and duty to do and I hope these people are made to pay the appropriate price for their activities.