Host damages and the Host Guarantee program

Erzi-And-Lyle0
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Host damages and the Host Guarantee program

We had a host flood the bathroom by overflowing the shower and damaging the ceiling of the below flat. Yep -- 2.4 liters of water were left standing on the floor and who knows how many liters seeped into the floor and caused the downstairs damage.

The host denied responsibility and were confused where the water on the floor might have come from.

We have pushed this to the Host Guarantee payment part of Airbnb and been given a case number and a promise of a return phone call.

We did have one call telling us that this case has been transferred to the asset department – and that someone else would call within a week. 

The original estimate for the repair was around 280 Euro but actual costs were 925 EURO. We have copies of the invoice, the bills for the materials, and photographs of the damage. 

Conclustion so far: Don't hold your breath. 

This is the timeline:

9-11 October - Guests made a whopper of a mess.

17 October - Made first request for Host Gurantee assistance.

16 November - Asked for a situation update.

28 November - Asked again for an update. 

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Are you aware that you are posting "host" when you mean guest?  Totally confused me for a while.  I have seen many postings about the Host Guarantee process taking several months to any resolution 😛

Thanks. You are right. Funny enough, the meaning of host is reversed in Czech and this is where my comfusion likely came from.

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

do you have guest deposit? if yes, you can use that deposit. sorry it happend.

All you can do right now is to keep pushing for resolution.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

My Dad does a walk through with every guest show them the barthroom and explan to them how to use it yes he does, then the kitchen and yes he show them how to us the stove, and so on you know what I mean

Yes, I will not assume any intelligent response from the guests.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Erzi And Lyle

I had the same problem with one of my private tenants (nothing to do with Airbnb), their toilet overflowed, and it flooded the bathroom in the flat below which fortunately I also own, like you these tenants denied it had anything to do with them.

But in my case, I'm holding a deposit of which I will be making a deduction because it is simply beyond believe that they are not responsible for the toilet blockage and flooding no matter what they say.

It still surprises me that some Hosts on Airbnb think they are running their own business which in your case the evidence would suggest is patently not true.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

How does a shower overflow?

Did they block the drain with a towel or something.

David

To add this should be covered under you building insurance and would be a much easier process.

David
Erzi-And-Lyle0
Level 2
Prague, Czech Republic

Whoops. I mixed hosts and guests. Sorry for the confusion.

In other news. This seems to be an issue for Host Protection Insurance. We got an email response from airbnb on 29 November.

What was the final response? Is it resolved now, did they re invites your money?