Host got robbed in Calgary Canada

Joann1315
Level 3
Calgary, Canada

Host got robbed in Calgary Canada

I am a new super host. Yesterday my husband and I found out that the guest who lived in the condo for 3nights have robbed the place. They took key FOB, garage opener, new TV, TV mount, small appliances, knife set, small decorations, almost all beddings and sheets were peeled off and stolen, all cleaning and sanitizing tools and supplies, all spare beddings, bath towels, all stored Keurig coffee pods, duvet was missing too. Room was left with a mess and carpet contaminated with drugs, stains, bathroom soap dispenser was contaminated with unknown liquid and left in the bath tub, soiled and contaminated bath towels, and leftover duvet covers cannot be reused. A box of drugs, with needles and injection tubes were left in the unit. Balcony is messy too. 
I was so shocked to encounter this. I realized the guest is abnormal only on the checkout date, as I wasn’t able to contact the guest, call the phone, it was a male rather than a female. We called the police, but the police first said they would need to wait for Airbnb to send the ID, because the booking requirement went through with verified government ID. However, police called later and said this is not a break in they cannot come and check the room and issue is only a case number. I was almost furious inside and so disappointed to see the uninvolement of a police in Canada for a robbery, as there were a full box of white powder drug in the unit. It doesn’t like the common marijuana but more serious cases. I heard so many personal property break in and all of them were just going through insurance. Airbnb customer service was helpful, I am going through resolution centres for reporting all stolen and damaged items. 

I just feel urged to express the idea in such a city/country where robbery was not even treated as criminal (police only deal with break in property loss) . How would Calgary host survive and protect themselves? Where are the channels to protect and residents’ property against these drug abuse criminals. Also would Airbnb carry out strict restrictions on registration of guest especially in regions like this? Can host have more rights to decline a suspicious guest without sacrificing superhost status? The only clue this guest has is a recent registration in the same city, no reviews. It was not filtered as high risk booking. If Airbnb can the block or filter these guests would be great. 

I am so disappointed with all had happened and there were just nothing police can do to deal with a robbery with no break in. Fortunately Airbnb said they can help. Just looking forward to the upcoming resolutions. 

11 Replies 11
Christine1081
Level 4
Humboldt, TN

Heck yeah I would report it as a robbery. I don't even know why you would question that because that's what it is. While still reporting it to Airbnb of course. Again there are so many loopholes in that house guarantee the odds of you were cooping your damages completely I would say are going to be pretty low based on my experiences. I had a gas tube took several of my kitchen items. Run quickly to the police department!

Christine Warrington

lessons learned.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Joann1315 So very sorry you are going through this. You can not rely on any Airbnb process to protect you, you must take matters into your own hands at all time. Unfortunately, new hosts are often targeted by criminals. You also offer self check in and don't appear to have security cameras. All very enticing to the person who did this. Airbnb does not screen guests and we must do our own vetting of guests. Verified ID is quite meaningless. If it’s on, turn off instant book until you gain more experience, and you absolutely can decline a booking you are uncomfortable with. Always be suspicious of a local booking. 

I hope you at least filed an official police report, as that will be required by Airbnb. Thoroughly read the terms of the host guarantee before proceeding. If you don’t follow the terms to the letter, you will be declined. Best of luck. 

Thank you so much for your advice. Looks like I am in a battle against these criminals, need to gear up the property with security cameras, be more alerted and kill the criminal buds at the beginning!

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Joann1315   Obtain a police report.  Contact your insurance company.  IF you have an accountant, ask what he needs to report the value of the stolen (and not reimbursed) property on your taxes.  Change your lock and garage door codes immediately.  Forget about AirBnB, they will probably not pay you for the stolen items.   I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Thank you so much for your warnings. Looks like I will go through more battles before I get my money back! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joann1315  There are some red flags you should be aware of in the future. You should not take bookings from local guests, and bookings from lowlifes tend to be made last minute. They communicate poorly in messages, don't answer questions youmay pose to them or don't answer at all. 

If you don't already, you should have exterior cameras- you might have seen them leaving with your stuff, called the police right then so they got caught in the act.

Set advance notice of a couple days so you don't get last minute bookings. 

And while turning off instant book will lower your search ranking, it will give you a chance to communicate with guests before accepting, so you can vet them. If their communication makes you wary, you simply decline the booking request.

Did you commmunicate with these thieves after they booked?

1. report the robbery.

2. Take as many photos as you can.

3. Immediately reach out to the booking guest in the Resolution Center (before another guest moves in). Ask for an estimated amount (figure out how much the theft and damage cost). Aim high for the estimate because you can lower it later.

4. After three days if the guest doesn't pay you, Airbnb will get involved. They'll ask for invoices, estimates, photos if you have them. Insist on the Host Guarantee taking care of the cost if the guest does not. And insist they provide the documentation for the guest (Get the phone number the guest used to register and keep it handy. If it's a guy who answers than he's an accomplice - otherwise Airbnb isn't telling the truth about verifying the number).

P.S. Customer service may or may not be third party freelancers. So push this up the chain.

P.S.S. get cameras. We use "Blink" because the batteries last at least a year and there's no subscription charge to keep the videos.  You can put them up high so they can't be tampered with and they work well in cold weather.

I am in the 72 hrs period, after 72hr passes, will submit request for host guarantee - Airbnb said the same thing. Looks like Going through host guarantee is not an easy process but I am up to it!!! Hope this get sorted out eventually. Thank you so much for your advice and support!!!

@Joann1315  I love the "not an easy process but I am up to it!!"

You go, girl. Let us know how it turns out.

A woman I know had a long term renter (not thru Airbnb) who had been in residence for 2 months. In the middle of the night, she left, cleaning out the apartment of everything. I mean everything. They even took the lightbulbs.

I asked her if she had been out of town, but no, she had been asleep in the upper unit, never heard anything.

The thief and her accomplice did get caught a few months later- they had been doing this everywhere.

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Joann1315  I'm truly sorry you had this experience. I'm taking the liberty to send the information you provided to the appropriate department, and I will DM you as soon as I have an update from them. Thank you