Host guarantee protection or False sense of security

Kunle5
Level 2
Missouri City, TX

Host guarantee protection or False sense of security

I booked a guest thru Airbnb, and they violated several of my House rules (even though many of them had a fine stipulation).  The guest threw a party of over 30 people in violation of my occupancy limit of 10, and they even invited strangers taking in all kinds of flight-risk individuals on my property. The guest damaged a lot of things on my property so I went through the resolution claims to attempt to recoup my losses. They stained my couch, had sex in the living room on my fabrics, stain my walls, smoked weed in my house, broke my chess set piece,  stained the rugs around my house, amongst other things. As anticipated, the resolution claim center did not yield much even despite the fact that I require a deposit for my listing. The guest refused to pay for these claims but it looks like they got kicked off the platform (I assume). I had felt a sense of security was provided by the Airbnb Host Guarantee, but upon being assigned to a claims agent, I noticed a pattern resembling the style of an insurance-company-in-name-only that does not like to payout on claims. The Host Guarantee mentioned many of my damages are ineligible, made refunds for only the cleaning and the re-painting of stained walls. The claims agent mentioned these damages to be merely wear-and-tear therefore ineligible for claims. They said my cost of getting the weed odor out of my host is ineligible unless the smoke causes a physical damage to the property. I asked the Airbnb agent there recommendations to protect my property, but they are yet to give viable solutions to prevent future occurrence and they refuse to be explicit on what is a viable claim (only saying claims judgement are made on a case-by-case basis leaving hosts like myself in the dark). In any case, I find it imperative to discuss this issue with many other Host such that we have a proper understanding of the Airbnb policies so therefore we can set realistic expectations in abhorrent situations like this. Airbnb short-term rental is a major source of income for myself and I know of many other people, and this platform has become a mainstay for many people. However, I do not think this business practice is fair in this area of Host Guarantee, but more importantly, I think we as Host on the platform need to devise innovative ways to safeguard against loss from nuisance-guests. I suggested to an Airbnb representative that they start asking prospective Guest to submit an ID with full legal name for everyone on guestlist at booking similarly done in Hotel reservations. I also have since increased my deposit requirement but I am looking for other recommendations that could be a deterrent to such nuisance guest. Airbnb claims to be serious about helping to deter parties on their platform but lays the brunt of the blowback on the Host only. I will like to hear ideas on how to deal with this issue from other Host(s) that has made a claim or have encountered similar issues. What has worked, and what doesn't. I have motion-detecting security cameras all around the perimeter outside my property, and have since added two (2) in-doors cameras in the hallway disclosed to prospective guest at booking. I am looking for creative ways that would deter nuisance-guests but attract good guest to my listing. I am working towards restoring it but careful to have these safeguards in place before taking further actions.

9 Replies 9
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

If I had a listing a gorgeous as yours, which is also large enough for a great party, I would send a rental agreement to the guest outlining the number of guests permitted, your rules and expectations, and have the guest return a signed or acknowledged copy listing the names of all persons who will be staying.   This will not deter the "determined to have a party" guest, but will give you something to fall back on should you have to take the guest to small claims court for damages. 

Note:  I cannot believe how many people rely on the Air "insurance".  While there are people on this and other forums who have successfully been reimbursed for damages, IMO they were very lucky.  I do not rely on the insurance from any OTA, and have my own policies in place to reimburse me for damages from animalistic guests.

Ok will definitely look into the rental agreement route with future bookings. Thanks for your comment

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

So sorry to hear what happened to your property. I agree with @Lorna170 , after reading on this forum, I don’t feel sure either, that I would be compensated for all costs if I should be unlucky and have guests damage my property. Prevention is what we need to focus on, I guess. I’m lucky in that my listing does not attract the party crowd, as it is a guest house in my own garden, in a suburb, and I’m always home when I host. 

Maybe you already thought of this, or maybe it does not work well for you, but: Not accepting 1 night stays I guess may make your property less attractive for party people. Demanding that all names be entered in the booking, and informing that you will meet them when checking in, and need to see/photograph ID from all (if legal)? Mentioning that you are ”just a couple of blocks away, and will be available if needed” (i.e ”I’ll be watching you”)?

We had a similar experience with guests broking rules and airbnb resolution center giving us the ran around. You just get the sense that Airbnb support had no interests in helping the hosts. We have no control of the deposit. Airbnb doesn't hold bad guests responsible. We had NEVER had a successful resolution center claim. There were always excuses that we don't provide enough or guest didn't respond. We feel helpless and completed unprotected. 

We hosts must exert more pressure on airbnb to look after our interests more. But I don't know how. Any ideas?! 

I ended up getting about $3k i think, it was a fraction of my claims but nonetheless still very grateful as it was helpful that they came around. I really wished I had the capacity to sue the tenants but unfortunately do not have the time and funds for that.

In any case, I will suggest utilizing social media to amplify your complaint. I tagged the CEO and AirbnbHelp handler on Twitter, and this handler reposted my message - https://twitter.com/ShieldVoC I think we just have to find means to generate publicity for our complaints in little ways. I may end up advertising my complaint on twitter for like $5 such that other Host can share similar stories. I believe with more stories shared in one central place, Airbnb will eventually come around to address the fundamental issue of not allowing Host to utilize security deposit when there is a legitimate claim.

Thanks @Trude0 I have since implemented some of this, and it helps. I only take 1 week min stay, have cameras set up and security systems, infact, I have neighbors helping me look out. I also only take in registered guest. 

However, I think the biggest issue that needs to be addressed is retaining the security deposit. If there is a legitimate claim, Airbnb ougth to verify and allow Host be able to utilize the deposit. I had a recent situation where a tenant that checked all the boxes in terms of being a great tenant, do some possibly accidental damages but still do not want to pay. They know Airbnb does not enforce this rule so they decide to just walkaway. This would not be possible in a regular Tenant-Landlord relationship because of the security deposit.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Do you have a homeowner's insurance policy that covers short-term rentals? Beyond that, you can take the guest to court. You're right that Airbnb cannot be depended on to cover you. Lawyers will tell you that their agreement is Swiss cheese.

One thing that could work in your favor is if you can get the media involved. All of a sudden Airbnb springs into action to pay for damages.

BTW was this a one-night booking? If so, don't do those! I don't even accept 2-night bookings, although I'm fine with booking 50% of days per month. I eliminated 2-night bookings this year, requiring at least a 3-night stay. I actually do about the same number of booked nights per month as when I accepted 2-night stays in the past.

It was a 3-night booking and I do have homeowners insurance policy but I do not believe it includes short-term rentals. My thought generally is that a Landlord in most rental transaction holds the deposit as a means to enforce that the tenant does right by the unit. In this case, Airbnb does not help enforce this agreement. I had to post on twitter to the CEO - Brian Chesky, and on Airbnb twitter handler since this was like my small way of getting media attraction. They eventually sent me a private message on twitter and responded much quicker than through their customer service line. I am learning very quickly how to interact with Airbnb, but the truth is its Host around the globe like myself are the ones that end up getting stuck with the liability part of the rental operations. For small household renters like myself, the court system (including small court) seems quite daunting but I will look into it but I doubt majority of Home renters can afford the extra time obligation for the courthouse.

Also, Airbnb obviously is intentional about just capturing the tenant acquisition part of the tental operations and every other part of the operations does not mean much to them as it is not a liability for them as long as they do not have to pay for it. They have been successful in cornering the short-term rental market but hopefully Host like myself can band together and negotiate the terms of this agreement because it is unfair. They charge almost a 20% premium for just the tenant acquisition (this is huge compared to the 6% realtors charge). Every other service Airbnb claims to render is just superficial. It is unfortunate that realtors do not have a good track record in acquiring short term tenants.

I have learned quite a bit since the incident, and I still use Airbnb but have since changed the requirement to 1 week minimum stays. Still there is only so much we can do as Host. I since added cameras, and all kind of surveillance systems to minimize this risk exposure but the truth is without Airbnb cooperation on securing the deposit, tenants will be undeterred from damaging ones property. I recently just had another incident, which I have reported. The tenant was a gentleman whom this time did not host any parties, infact was just a handful of times he stayed over. He was obviously very wealthy, in fact somewhat regionally famous so he just used the place as a secondary accommodation. He had all the marks to check off as a potential reasonable tenant, but still had damages at checkout. But I suspect since he knows Airbnb does not enforce this security depost collection, he refused to pay for his damages. It is an open secret such that everyone that uses Airbnb knows this, which means we as Host just need a doze of luck if things continue this way. I wish I could do without Airbnb but the fact of the matter is that they have majority of the short term renters. Wish they just would improve their processes such that Host like myself around the globe do not have to continue to lose revenue from costly repairs. Claims continue to be a huge uphill battle for an Airbnb Host. I suggest many Host amplify their complaints using https://twitter.com/ShieldVoC and then be part of the community and maybe it can be part of the conversation to drive a change or attention to the fundamental matter of security deposit.

Kunle5
Level 2
Missouri City, TX

I am learning so much from this community, it seems like a great thread to learn from:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-do-you-deal-with-questionable-enquiries/td-p/1424459