Host having friends over?

Erin74
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Host having friends over?

I've been renting my extra rooms in my personal home for years.  It's a 4 bedroom, and my room is upstairs with many of theirs - so I am in the mix somewhat.  As a woman living with my big dog, I primarily have bachelorette groups of 6-10 girls, sometimes groups of couples, and occasionally families.  I am moving into a relationship however, and I'm wondering how do I transition expectations to "sometimes my boyfriend will stay over". Also, I think most girl groups would not want to stay with a couple so I worry about a booking decrease if I just have coed groups - has anyone made this transition?  Should I go all-in where I list my house with us as co-hosts "Stay with us"  and just set expectations that he will be there even though frequently it may just be me?  If that attracts more couples/mixed groups, and then some weekends I'm there alone, will that be weird for the guests who were expecting a duo host team?  Last question, I have a big lovable dog who hogs all my reviews, he is truly the highlight of guests' trips.  Do you ever as a host leave your pup at the house while you stay elsewhere?

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Erin74  I would just add your partner to your account, as well as having a profile photo with the 2 of you.  No one will mind if he happens not to be staying there at some point, but they might mind if you don't mention him at all. Plenty of couple hosts have situations where the other might not be around some of the time. You are overthinking this, IMO.

But I do think it would be strange to leave your dog there if you are staying elsewhere. Who will attend to him? Take him out for walks? You certainly can't expect your guests to do that, no matter how much they like him.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Erin74 

I would just change your picture to both of you and reword things to the plural.  I doubt it will change the dynamics of your guests.

As far as your dog is concerned, you know him best. You really shouldn't ask guests to care for him so if you have a workable plan and he's ok being alone then do what you feel is best. I personally wouldn't leave my dog in the house alone with guests regardless of what they say.

In the booking information about you place you can mark with whom the guests are going to chare the common spaces with. Just mark me and my family/friend, and then they know that.

That will probably not be any problem!

@Erin74 

If your BF doesn't help your with hosting, then I think changing to a photo that shows the both of you and mentioning him in your profile intro and listing description along the lines of "you will see this guy around the house sometimes" is enough. I doubt this will affect the type of guest groups you get much.

Fyi, I am only at home 2 or 3 weekends a month so usually it's only Henry at home while I come and go - we explain this to our guests (especially female guests) to make sure they understand. I think it's more about managing guest expectations.

And imo your dog is your responsibility - I think it would be highly inappropriate to leave the care of your pet to others, especially if they are paying guests. Even if they offered, even if they say they don't mind, and even if it's just overnight...... just my 2 cents~

Sarah2329
Level 1
Roanoke, VA

You cannot expect guests to take care of your dog. I recently went on a trip and had guests while I was away. I hired a pet sitter to take care of the cat. I let the guests know the pet sitter would be coming in every day, everyone was fine with the arrangement. You have paying guests, you don’t ask them to take care of your responsibilities. Or if you do and if they accept you offer a significant discount. 

Erin74
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Thanks to all for the responses!  It seems pretty clear what to do about having my boyfriend over, I feel much better!  As far as my dog...he has never been crated so he is out and about in the house when I'm just out running errands.  Guests tell me he just sits in his bed and looks out the window waiting for my return.  But if he goes near the backdoor, the guests are already letting him out - sometimes they text to ask my permission and sometimes they don't.  I definitely don't expect guests to care for him in ANY way, or need them to, as he is fine to go my full workday without going out (he's 8), but most people just choose to do it if he is sitting near the backdoor.  I'm not sure how you would control that -  Does everyone else crate or close their pets in a room when they aren't home during guests?   That would be cruel for us, as he was never crated.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Erin74  You asked in your OP if it was alright to leave your dog when you are staying elsewhere, and that's why others responded as they did. If you're spending the night elswhere, I'd take him with you. Now it appears that you are only talking about the dog being loose in the house while you are at work or out on errands?

My dog has also never been crated, she is primarily an outside dog. And she is almost always left at home when I go out- she doesn't like riding in the car, and of course can't be taken into the grocery store. As long as you're clear in your listing about the dog, and him being left in the house when you go out, I don't see any reason for you to crate him. As you say, all your guests have been charmed by him, doesn't seem its been an issue. 

As far as guests letting the dog out, I'd make up a sign to post on the door, asking guests to please not let him out. You could explain to them that he's not doing it because he needs to go relieve himself, but because it's his habit to wait for you there.