Host refuses to refund guest despite BLACK MOLD found in home!

Answered!

Host refuses to refund guest despite BLACK MOLD found in home!

I'm absolutely furious! 

My mother and I checked into an Airbnb in Granada after a long trip from Chicago, through London & Malaga, to Granada.  We were eager to check in and get settled and relax.  However, I noticed water on the floor of the kitchenette (and the bed wasn't far from there -- it was a one-room place), and I looked under the sink to see if there was a problem with the pipes, and I found BLACK MOLD all over the back wall where there had clearly been water damage.  We had smelled something musty when we had first entered the place, but figured it was just an old building -- it was the mold! 

Worried that we'd be left homeless for the night, I immediately booked another AirBnB nearby (one that had "instant booking"), and we left.  Once checked into the new AirBnB down the street, I sent the first place's host a polite message saying what we had found, and told him that unfortunately, we would not be able to stay there, and would like a refund.  Well, the guy put up a fight! 

He said I wasn't behaving "correctly," and that I was trying to find things to complain about!  WHY would I want to have to worry about finding another place last-minute like that, if there was no SERIOUS problem with his place?  It makes no sense!  I had taken photos of the water on the floor and the water damage and BLACK MOLD on the wall, and I sent him the photos.  He said, "That's burn."  LOL!!! 

So, he fought me over it, and I told him that if he wouldn't grant the refund for an uninhabitable place, I would involve AirBnB.  So I did.  And after seeing the photos and hearing the description of the premises, THEY REFUSE TO REFUND ME!!!  They said that I didn't abide by the policy of contacting the host and letting him try to resolve the situation!  AS IF YOU COULD RESOLVE BLACK MOLD IN AN HOUR!!!  Black mold is a toxic, serious problem that affects the air quality -- especially for people with asthma like me, which I also told AirBnB -- and it needs to be professionally eradicated, which takes at least a few days.  I told AirBnB that it's not a typical "spill" or something that the host can clean up in a few minutes.  It's a serious problem that would take DAYS to resolve, and my mother and I were only in Granada for a few days! 

And what was I supposed to do, leave us HOMELESS for those 3 days that the host would be resolving his home's MOLD issue???!?!??!  It's so unfair, and I'm absolutely FURIOUS about this.  I tried writing to customer service again, and after a few days, I've received the same response.  I'm incredulous.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get through to higher-ups at AirBnB to get this refunded?  And to get this guy reported for renting out MOLDY premises?  I can't believe that they even saw PHOTOS of the mold, and did nothing about it!  I'M SO MAD!

1 Best Answer
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I'm going to attempt to tag a few folks in this thread (excuse my incompetence), as I have found something quite helpful in relation to black mould identification.

@Huma @Mark @Rebecca181  @Duane  @Amos18  @Robin4  @Sarah   @Lizzie  @Cathie

@Hillary-and-Adam0 

New Zealand has quite a problem with damp housing, particularly those built in the 1970's through to the 1990's.  The country is also struggling to recover (even 20 years later) from a "leaky home" crisis in the 1990's, which arose from poor building standards and shoddy contruction methods.

All this to say, we know a lot today about black mould and there are regulations that require landlords to deal with it, or face prosecution.  This is extended to even short term let situations.  If you are letting any part of your home, in NZ you are required to "know" (not just assume) that your property is free of toxic black mould spores.

Because of this requirement, a clever guy in Levin (not far north of where I live) invented a home testing kit for Landlords to use, late last year.  This testing kit will allow landlords to confirm, with a degree of certainty that satisfies regulation, whether your particular black mould is a bad one or not. 

Here is the article that describes the invention:  https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/103433813/levin-business-readies-launch-of-diy-test-for-toxic...

Here is the website that sells the home testing kit (2 cassettes) for NZD $99 (approx $68 USD): https://www.mednz.co.nz/detect4mould

From the site:  "The Dect4mould Mould Test is simple to use, giving you accurate results in as little as 5 minutes. The tests identify mould species that the U.S. EPA considers to be health concerns for you and your family."

If you are a host and you would like some assurance in regard to mould spores on your property, I recommend you look into getting a home testing kit like this one. 

In theory, if there are mould spores in your property and you have this type of test done, you could offer the test results to future guests... even state in your house manual to reassure guests that testing has been done.  It would certainly make discussions with guests about "what mould is what" easier.

~ Ben

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110
Alan565
Level 3
St. John's, Canada

Hi, I had the same issue. 

No smoke detector, no carbon monoxide, and black mold in the washer. I contacted Airbnb support after the black mold in the washer After I already told the host. He said that he wahses bleach every now and again and it's not a problem the clothes come out clean. Disguised. Told him it's alot of black mold and I wasn't going to use it. I told Airbnb support to case manager. They asked me questions like is there a smoke detector I looked and said no and there should be. Then they contacted the host. I requested them to leave and cancle as all this is going on. They denied and said I didn't give them chance to correct issues.

Issues they corrected, broke bed, broken shower curtain.

Issues they didn't address or respons in direct message. Black mold, hole in ceiling letting in bugs. I didn't ask them about the smoke or CO detector as Airbnb asked me themselves. I submitted picture evidence to Airbnb support case manager, I dealt with 4, with pics of ceiling and the washer, and they reviewed the msgs between me and host. I'm end I was left with letting host fix new issues while he didn't fix mold or the ceiling hole letting bugs in. And Airbnb still have me two options as didn't consider them wrong. 1. Leave and cancle and lose 50% for a week, like 600$ or stay and let them deal with the stuff when they didn't anyway already. Let alone they misrepresented the house.... Contacted San Diego housing inspection to let them know the infraction. 

@Alan565 , in the end, did you stay or go?  JR

They also told me clearly support can't determine either way if there is mold or not Ave didn't accept the pictures. The host admitted is "black stuff" already. Like C'mon! Left next day and they didn't apologize while ii asked twice. My kids are 3 and 6!

Alan565
Level 3
St. John's, Canada

Black mold, he said it was black stains. Stinks.Black mold, he said it was black stains. Stinks.

Smoke detector goneSmoke detector gone

Holes painted over where smoke det should beHoles painted over where smoke det should be

Have 2 kids and wife and sadly had to deal with uncaring hosts.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Hillary-and-Adam0    Hey Hillary! I had a similar mould experience when I stayed in California. The bathroom was FULL of black mould.. (not sure how the cleaner missed it!)... it was in the shower, on the walls, behind the mirror, literally all over! So I agree.. disgusting, not healthy and not something a guest should have to deal with!

Since I knew we were only going to be using the place to sleep, I just cleaned most of it myself. I got this place for a really good deal compared to other places in the area so I guess my expectations should not have been so high (mould is still unacceptable). Wish I had the photos still, you would be appalled!! LOL

I sent the host photos after my stay and just let them know about it and went on my way, but also made sure to make note of it in my review. 

Hope you left your person a review about your experience and hopefully he has looked after it ! 

Just wanted to say YOU ARE NOT ALONE!  🐵

Daniel6800
Level 1
Santa Fe, NM

I’m having the same problem I feel for you don’t let all these weirdos make things worse for you I would lawyer up