Host refuses to refund guest despite BLACK MOLD found in home!

Answered!

Host refuses to refund guest despite BLACK MOLD found in home!

I'm absolutely furious! 

My mother and I checked into an Airbnb in Granada after a long trip from Chicago, through London & Malaga, to Granada.  We were eager to check in and get settled and relax.  However, I noticed water on the floor of the kitchenette (and the bed wasn't far from there -- it was a one-room place), and I looked under the sink to see if there was a problem with the pipes, and I found BLACK MOLD all over the back wall where there had clearly been water damage.  We had smelled something musty when we had first entered the place, but figured it was just an old building -- it was the mold! 

Worried that we'd be left homeless for the night, I immediately booked another AirBnB nearby (one that had "instant booking"), and we left.  Once checked into the new AirBnB down the street, I sent the first place's host a polite message saying what we had found, and told him that unfortunately, we would not be able to stay there, and would like a refund.  Well, the guy put up a fight! 

He said I wasn't behaving "correctly," and that I was trying to find things to complain about!  WHY would I want to have to worry about finding another place last-minute like that, if there was no SERIOUS problem with his place?  It makes no sense!  I had taken photos of the water on the floor and the water damage and BLACK MOLD on the wall, and I sent him the photos.  He said, "That's burn."  LOL!!! 

So, he fought me over it, and I told him that if he wouldn't grant the refund for an uninhabitable place, I would involve AirBnB.  So I did.  And after seeing the photos and hearing the description of the premises, THEY REFUSE TO REFUND ME!!!  They said that I didn't abide by the policy of contacting the host and letting him try to resolve the situation!  AS IF YOU COULD RESOLVE BLACK MOLD IN AN HOUR!!!  Black mold is a toxic, serious problem that affects the air quality -- especially for people with asthma like me, which I also told AirBnB -- and it needs to be professionally eradicated, which takes at least a few days.  I told AirBnB that it's not a typical "spill" or something that the host can clean up in a few minutes.  It's a serious problem that would take DAYS to resolve, and my mother and I were only in Granada for a few days! 

And what was I supposed to do, leave us HOMELESS for those 3 days that the host would be resolving his home's MOLD issue???!?!??!  It's so unfair, and I'm absolutely FURIOUS about this.  I tried writing to customer service again, and after a few days, I've received the same response.  I'm incredulous.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get through to higher-ups at AirBnB to get this refunded?  And to get this guy reported for renting out MOLDY premises?  I can't believe that they even saw PHOTOS of the mold, and did nothing about it!  I'M SO MAD!

1 Best Answer
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I'm going to attempt to tag a few folks in this thread (excuse my incompetence), as I have found something quite helpful in relation to black mould identification.

@Huma @Mark @Rebecca181  @Duane  @Amos18  @Robin4  @Sarah   @Lizzie  @Cathie

@Hillary-and-Adam0 

New Zealand has quite a problem with damp housing, particularly those built in the 1970's through to the 1990's.  The country is also struggling to recover (even 20 years later) from a "leaky home" crisis in the 1990's, which arose from poor building standards and shoddy contruction methods.

All this to say, we know a lot today about black mould and there are regulations that require landlords to deal with it, or face prosecution.  This is extended to even short term let situations.  If you are letting any part of your home, in NZ you are required to "know" (not just assume) that your property is free of toxic black mould spores.

Because of this requirement, a clever guy in Levin (not far north of where I live) invented a home testing kit for Landlords to use, late last year.  This testing kit will allow landlords to confirm, with a degree of certainty that satisfies regulation, whether your particular black mould is a bad one or not. 

Here is the article that describes the invention:  https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/money/103433813/levin-business-readies-launch-of-diy-test-for-toxic...

Here is the website that sells the home testing kit (2 cassettes) for NZD $99 (approx $68 USD): https://www.mednz.co.nz/detect4mould

From the site:  "The Dect4mould Mould Test is simple to use, giving you accurate results in as little as 5 minutes. The tests identify mould species that the U.S. EPA considers to be health concerns for you and your family."

If you are a host and you would like some assurance in regard to mould spores on your property, I recommend you look into getting a home testing kit like this one. 

In theory, if there are mould spores in your property and you have this type of test done, you could offer the test results to future guests... even state in your house manual to reassure guests that testing has been done.  It would certainly make discussions with guests about "what mould is what" easier.

~ Ben

View Best Answer in original post

110 Replies 110

Yes, I see that now.  More ridiculous bureaucratic red tape to save people's butts from accountability.  But as you said, going off of the "protect my and my mother's health, and make sure we're not left homeless tonight" motivation, I snapped into emergency booking mode, figuring there was no way this host could deny me a refund once he saw the problem. But I'm a reasonable person: it's a blessing and a curse, apparently.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I don't think this is black mold.

The stuff on the pipes look like plain old dirt, and not very dirty at that.  The black spot in the cabinet, it's hard to say, but it would seem odd that mold would grow only such a specific jagged pattern, so it may be the host is correct that is a burn mark or something other than mold.  

I'm surrpised airbnb didn't reimburse you, since they almost always side with the guest.

It's definitely black mold.  I've seen black mold before, and I'm fully aware of the difference between black mold and a "burn."

The photos I took were of the spot that was easily visible by looking in the cabinet.  The water damage was clearly behind the cabinet, where the pipe was coming out.  So God knows what mold was there that wasn't visible!  It's no wonder the place smelled like musty old basement.

You can Google images of "black mold," and see that it looks just like the photos I submitted to this host and to AirBnB.  Same look, same location.  It's absurd to think it's anything else!

And I've been a host too -- many times.  So I don't think of things in terms of "hosts vs. guests," as a few people in this thread and in this community group seem to think.  I'm looking at it from both sides, and from the simple angle that it's unsanitary and unsafe to expect people to sleep a few feet away from black mold!

By the way, for all of you who are saying "it's not mold," "mold can't grow on plastic," and "I'd have just wiped it off with a cloth," here's a video to learn a little something about what this is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vRWeyWhBjE

@Hillary-and-Adam0  FYI- mold doesn't grow on plastic. What mold grows on is organic material. Meaning dirt. So if those drain pipes were dirty, then yes, mold will grow there. Mold is very prevalent in tropical places, it's unavaoidable. It requires constant cleaning, wiping down with bleach, etc, to keep it at bay. I agree that no guest should have to stay somewhere that smells musty and moldy. But if you and your mom are that sensitive to it, I'd suggest you not travel to any tropical locales, or only book high-end places with AC and dehumidifiers that are closed up to the elements..

I've traveled to tropical places and used Airbnb for those travels, and everything was absolutely lovely. My unwillingness to subject myself and my mother to a musty, moldy, falsely represented Airbnb place does not mean I'm "sensitive" to such things. It means I expect basic standards in a living space -- like no mold filling the air I'm breathing as I sleep -- and this host simply didn't abide by those basic, reasonable standards. I think most people in my shoes would have felt the same way -- like I've been ripped off.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Hillary-and-Adam0"Resolultion" doesn't nescessarily mean getting rid of the mould (if that's what it is): it could mean relocating you to a hotel or other location. You said in your original post that you didn't contact your host until after you had already moved, so you gave them no opportunity to help you until after you had already made your own arrangements.You have no idea how quickly the host would have responded or what their resolution would have been, because you didn't contact them until after the fact. You make a bunch of conjectures about how the interaction would have gone, but you didn't give that a chance to play out at all. If you have hosted a property previously, would you not want to be contacted to make something right before being asked for a refund? If I was the host in this situation and someone not only cancelled but tried to get a full refund for key dates on my calendar, I think I'd likely be a bit taken aback also. Maybe they have checked it out since your departure and found that it's not black mould: do you still feel that you would be entitled to a refund if that was the finding?

Clearly, I posted in the wrong forum.  I cannot expect reasonable discussion from biased hosts who think subjecting guests to black mold is okay.

As I've said elsewhere in this thread, it was late and I didn't have time to mess around with the host's attempts to "resolve" a health problem that couldn't be resolved in one night.  I would have had to book another place regardless, so why am I the bad guy for doing just that?

@Hillary-and-Adam0 Nowhere has anyone said that it's okay to subject guests to toxic mould. Not one host here said that. What everyone has said is that you didn't give the host any opportunity to make it right or do anything to help you: you just left and asked for your money back. That was your choice: you didn't give your host or Airbnb any other options to help you. If the decision helped you and your mom, I think that's great, but it still doesn't exempt you from the consequences of how you chose to deal with it. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Hillary-and-Adam0 There are all kinds of mold, including mold that is black that isn't the infamously toxic 'black mold'.  The typical mold around say a bathtub is almost never the highly toxic 'black mold'.

A black colored mold has a black pigment by nature. It is usually associated with being the toxic kind, but that’s not always the case. Black mold may not be toxic, but it can be an allergenic.

Nigrospora is an example of a black colored mold.

There is no evidence it is toxic to humans or other living organisms.

The most common black mold is Cladosporium, which has no known toxic side effects. This type of mold is common both inside and outside of the home. Heavy exposure to black mold could trigger an increase in allergy and asthma symptoms.

Other black molds include Alternaria, Aureobasidium, Dresclera, Pithomyces, Stemphylium, and Ulocladium.

None of these are toxic molds that produce mycotoxins,  but Altermaria can cause severe allergy symptoms.

Yes, I'm aware of all of this.  And with my asthma, and my mother's asthma and allergies, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it's unhealthy to have to sleep a few feet away from whatever type of mold you want to call what's under the sink on the wall.

If you don't believe my perspective/experience as a homeowner who's seen various kinds of mold, here's a video of the type of mold that was in this room:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vRWeyWhBjE

@Hillary-and-Adam0 

That guy in the video doesn't have any idea whether that black mold is toxic or not, but it's his profession to scare homeowners into expensive remediation of whatever mold there is, LOL.

Based on the photo, the black on the pipes to me does not at all look like mold, certainly whatever it is, yes, it could have been easily wiped away with any standard cleaner. 

I can't tell what is on the back of the cabinet, whether it is mold or something else....but since airbnb is almost always guest friendly, especially regarding anything that is health or liability related, my guess is that you are wrong here, that the host sent a more close up photo and it wasn't any kind of mold.....in which case, your leaving of the listing before contacting the host would be the primary reason that you weren't refunded, with the second reason being that what you think is mold is not mold, if it were, then airbnb would almost surely have refunded you and closed the guy's listing until he spent hundreds on proving that there was no toxic mold in the unit.

I'm sorry you had a bad time but it seems to me you overreacted.  

Leaving this post now.  I think if I'd posted in a guests' forum, the responses would have been very different.

My mistake.  Best wishes for reasonably clean homes in your future travels, everyone!  🙂

@Hillary-and-Adam0  Actually, if you spent some time reading through a few pages of posts on the Help section of these forums, you would find that hosts many, many times side with the guest when they've had a bad situation with a listing or a host. We also offer advice to guests who we feel have been unfairly treated. Bad hosting and bad listings reflect badly on the Airbnb platform and so that ultimately harms all of us. We'd like to see bad hosts and unacceptable listings removed from the platform as much as guests would. So the responses you were given here weren't dependent upon you being a guest and the responses being from hosts, they were because we felt you went about this in a way that is contrary to Airbnb TOS. Not one response said that it was okay to have to stay in a place that reeks of mold or mustiness. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Hillary-and-Adam0   I think you did the right thing for yourself and for your mother.  Safety and health are the most important factor.  As a very experienced host (don't see your listings now but you have a ton of reviews) I would imagine that you would have reacted differently to the accusation and refund request.   You would have responded professionally and not defensively.  At least you would have taken steps to invvestigate, which probably would take time.  You might have even needed a mold expert to assess the problem so you could take the appropriate steps to address the issue.  So an immediate agreement to a refund might not have been possible, right?   It appears that while you did what you needed to do for the health and safety of your mother, perhaps expecting an immediate agreement to a refund was not prudent.