What supplies do Hosts leave for their guests?

Answered!
Mary75
Level 2
La Roque-sur-Cèze, France

What supplies do Hosts leave for their guests?

What supplies do hosts leave when renting out the whole house?

I always leave dishwasher tablets for three washes and same for the washing machine plus one kitchen bin bag and one toilet roll in each bathroom. After they have used those I expect renters to supply their own.However I never leave soap. Sometimes people have asked for more bin (trash bags) and toilet paper and recently after two days in the house wanted they wanted more dishwasher tablets.

Should I provide a packet of all those commodities or is it fair to expect people renting the house to buy them after they have used the ones I leave to get them started?

1 Best Answer
Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@Mary75

I stipulate in my listing that I provide soap and shampo. So, I do. It is a service that I have factored into the price of my rental. 

Since, I too, am renting full housing units only (not shared accommodation), I provide 3 rolls of toilet paper, one set of 10 trash bin liners, one big kitchen paper roll, and your usual dishwashing detergent. 

I never expected the guests to replenish any of those at the time of their check-out. But soon enough, the guests started 'commenting/complaining' that they wanted more toilet paper, more kitchen towels, etc. Basically, they wanted more of everything... (That unbeatable sense of self-entitlement...) 

For some unfathomable reason, my guests must have believed that I produce the kitchen towel rolls, toilet paper, etc., in my garage or that I have a paper mill and get them FOC?  Sadly, they have been wrong!

I amended my House Manual to state that we provide a limited quantity of the aforementioned items for all guests at the time of their arrival, and that should they need more, they simply need to do exactly what they do at their own homes: go to the supermarket and buy the items needed. 

So far, a few guests thanked me very much for giving them such clear instructions. 

We are all only human, and a few guests tend to confuse your regular Airbnb with fully serviced hotel rooms and suites where all such items are provided on the daily basis. Setting the record straight seems to be a good, productive policy!

If you find this information helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs-Up icon near lower right. Thanks!

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

My opinion would be if it's a long term let then you just need to give them a starter pack.

If it was for a week or may be two, then as a guest I think I would expect to have diswasher tablets and refuse sacks for the week. Otherwise I am buying them and leaving them behind for the host.

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Mary75, I agree with @Gerry-And-Rashid0.  Guests staying up to a week should not have to buy basic supplies.  

Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@Mary75

I stipulate in my listing that I provide soap and shampo. So, I do. It is a service that I have factored into the price of my rental. 

Since, I too, am renting full housing units only (not shared accommodation), I provide 3 rolls of toilet paper, one set of 10 trash bin liners, one big kitchen paper roll, and your usual dishwashing detergent. 

I never expected the guests to replenish any of those at the time of their check-out. But soon enough, the guests started 'commenting/complaining' that they wanted more toilet paper, more kitchen towels, etc. Basically, they wanted more of everything... (That unbeatable sense of self-entitlement...) 

For some unfathomable reason, my guests must have believed that I produce the kitchen towel rolls, toilet paper, etc., in my garage or that I have a paper mill and get them FOC?  Sadly, they have been wrong!

I amended my House Manual to state that we provide a limited quantity of the aforementioned items for all guests at the time of their arrival, and that should they need more, they simply need to do exactly what they do at their own homes: go to the supermarket and buy the items needed. 

So far, a few guests thanked me very much for giving them such clear instructions. 

We are all only human, and a few guests tend to confuse your regular Airbnb with fully serviced hotel rooms and suites where all such items are provided on the daily basis. Setting the record straight seems to be a good, productive policy!

If you find this information helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs-Up icon near lower right. Thanks!

Mary75
Level 2
La Roque-sur-Cèze, France

Yes  Danny after talking it over ith friends I find the general opinion is that if one rents a house you should expect to have to buy some household supplies though a starter pack is appreciated. That is a practisc that I also have experienced when renting a house. Renters can walk into the house and have everything to hand for the first day or two plus the freedom and privacy unobtainable in most hotels.

Michelle856
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I'm  a relatively new host and I have a couple of questions.  I've noticed that some hosts provide travel-size barsoap, shampoo, etc.  My first question is, where do you purchase these items and approximately how much do they cost per item? (lol, that's 2 questions in one 🙂

My second (3rd) question is- Which items would you say I will likely need to replenish most often? (aside from the ones mentioned above). I'm really trying to be prepared and plan a realistic budget for supplies.

Thank you in advance,

Michelle

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Michelle856  you maybe need a hotel supplier

I use www.outofeden.co.uk/ in the uk, must be others in your area of the USA

Gary228
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

I leave enough dishwashing liquid or dishwasher tablets for a month. There is also enough toilet paper and paper towels for a week. I’ve been to houses that don’t provide washcloths. When I asked for some you would have thought I asked for steak. I provide several towels washcloth extra pillows and additional blanket. If additional request are made for towels or blankets I charge a fee. All of my linens and towels are white so that I can ensure the best hygiene by bleaching and washing in hot water similar to hotels.I am baffled by how many host use colored linens and towels.

@Gary228  Baffled? What's to be baffled about? I use colored sheets and towels because I like them and they go well with the decor of the space. They also camoflage the odd small stain. There's nothing not hygenic about them, they get washed, of course. Bleach is actually bad for the environment and bad for one's health.

Eduardo596
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi all.. I´m sure all local hosts -for granting a excelente service- should provide same or at least similar supplies for ur guests. Do you know if AirBnB hv any "loca vendr´s site" for getting better price and products quality? Thnks, ED

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I supply toilet paper, washing up liquid (there's no dishwasher), bin liners, itchen towel, soap etc for the whole stay, but 28 days is my maximum stay and I've only actually had one stay of more than 10 days.  3-7 days is the usual.  I think if your market is shorter stays it's better to provide all these things as people don't want to be shopping for them

Hello group, do you guys provide shampoo, conditioner, shower, etc for your guess?If so, where to buy them from?

Hi 

We use a shower gel and shampoo dispenser attached to the wall.  They are easy to buy online. 

It works a treat.

The guests use less and it is easier to clean and looks tidier. We buy the shower gel in 5l bulk online. We use Tresemme 2-1 shampoo conditioner from the pound shop.  Guests really like it.

Hope this helps

@Serina10  Yes.  We stock extra large bottles, at least 16oz size, to discourage anyone from taking them, and it works about 99% of the time.  We use shampoo/conditioner from Trader Joe's and whatever upscale lotion, bar soap and shower gel we find at the discount dept. stores like Marshalls, which presumably there is some analogue to those in your country.

@Mark116 Thank you. I will check it out