Host traveling to Denmark and Southern Sweden-- must sees?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Host traveling to Denmark and Southern Sweden-- must sees?

We are traveling to Denmark and Southern Sweden (Lund and nearby) in May for our anniversary. I have a great grandmother from Copenhagen and we are trying to find her childhood home. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on must sees/must skips. We love castles and interesting architecture, art, good food and wine, beaches and water, and I have a jewelry business. I usually buy some vintage and antique pieces for my shop when I travel. Any suggestions?

7 Replies 7
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The wine industry there is still small and young. Denmark produces very small amounts of wine.

But they have one drink, called "Аquavit". It's made from potatoes. Be careful with it. 🙂

@Dimitar27  thanks! I understand Denmark is active in the "low impact" wine scene (sustainably grown.) But know that they import a lot of wine vs. growing their own. 

I've been there twice. Well organized, but very expensive country. Very high taxes.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Solveig0 is a Danish host that can certainly speak to the delights of Denmark!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi @Laura2592 ,

How long do you plan to stay in Denmark?

Yours,

Solveig

@Solveig0 Hi there-- we will be there for 8 days total. 

@Laura2592 so you'll have lots of time.  I don't really know the area around Copenhagen very well, but my favourites in Denmark are Ribe, in the southern part as well as the nature around it. If its in season I recommend doing an oyster safari, that is an incredible experience, whether you like oysters or not. 

On Fyn there's a wonderful castle called Egeskov, but Denmark has a lot of castles. I've not been able to visit many of them so I can't really recommend any. Many have been converted to conference venues and hotels. 

We live in the northern part of Denmark which is mostly known for its nature - Skagen, Løkken, Lønstrup, Rudbjerg Knude are all must sees if you come all the way up to the north. Northern Denmark was historically poorer, so less castles - though there is Dronninglund and Voerborg castle if that's interesting. 

Denmark is famous for its beaches, especially here in the North, with Løkken being the most famous one with its small beach houses, surfing and a beach that goes for miles. 

Denmark is not known for wines, but there's lots of good food. Noma is the most famous place, but there are lots of good places to eat and try local food, depending on the region you plan to visit. 

Happy to help with more specifics where I can, or provide links etc.