Host wants me to cancel my trip

Marin5
Level 1
Zagreb, Croatia

Host wants me to cancel my trip

Hello, 

I booked trip to France 2 days ago
Apartment had an instant book option so I picked my dates and my credit card was charged. 
Host started conversation with me and everything was fine. 

But, today he sent me message and said that he can't host because his family comes on weekend I booked. 

He asked me to cancel my reservation and said that he can refund service fee. 

I haven't been in this situation yet, but I think he has to cancel that reservation?!
I'm not the one who wants to cancel trip. 

What is the best (safest, easiest) way for me to get my money back? 

Thank you! 
Best regards, 
Marin 

92 Replies 92

@Lana83   Most all of the hosts are really good guys, the few that are not we will help you report like I am in this case. It makes us all look bad when a host does something like this. I would give AirBnB another try very few travelers ever experience this issue and end up with wonderful hosts. Think about it some before ruling out AirBnB ;D

Arpit3
Level 2
Bengaluru, India

I am in the same situation. The host first asked me to cancel. When I sent a cancellation request to the host to cancel; she declined it because she will face a 100$ penalty. She said that she would refund the entire amount if I cancel from my side. And said that it might not be comfortable but she can accommodate me if I don't cancel. Now I don't trust the person or the place anymore. What can be done to resolve it?

@Arpit3  There is no direct number to call for your area, so get on Twitter and send a direct message to AirbnbHelp and explain the situation. Make sure to include you reservation number. Tell them you want them to cancel on the hosts behalf, so you get a full refund.  

Yvan30
Level 1
Hearst, Canada

Hello!

I’m in a similar situation where the host wants to cancel our reservation because they want to close their account. They want us to cancel our reservation so they don’t get charged and promise to refund the whole amount. I was hesitant so I didn’t do it and told them that they need to cancel my reservation and it wasn’t our problem if they got charged. They refuse and told us that if we don’t cancel our reservation that way they will keep the reservation....what are my options??

@Yvan30   Call AirBnB and tell them what's happening. Make sure you record what she said in the AirBnB messaging system first. Something like: Just to make sure I understand you correctly. You are insisting I cancel the reservation when you are the one wanting to cancel not me?

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

What if I, the host already cancelled the reservation but the guest doesn't want to follow the steps on how to refund her payment? (I sent a screen shot of her options to transfer to a new Airbnb reservation or request for a refund)

She said that they will no longer book a reservation in Airbnb but she's afraid that if she requests for refund, the payment that was charged from her credit card will not be refunded to her in full amount.

She insists that I call Airbnb and request for a full refund but I can't contact the local number of Airbnb (Philippines).

I had to cancel her reservation 54 days before their booking because we were talking to another person who is planning to rent our place for long term. I explained it to her and cancelled the reservation so she can have a full refund. I already done my part as a host but the guest still doesn't want to request for a refund thru the Airbnb app.

What else can I do as a host to help my guest get her full refund?

I hope someone can help me. Thanks

Jan587
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Follow these clear instructions - the link has also been posted by helpful people in this thread but see the additional note below.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1250/what-should-i-do-if-my-host-needs-to-cancel

Important: Step 3 in these instructions say "Tap 'Cancel Reservation'" and of course  there's a moment when you say to yourself 'but it's not me who wants to cancel (and I've already paid up front)". Don't worry because Step 4 gives you the choice of "My host needs to cancel".

After you choose "My host needs to cancel"; you are taken care of: Within 48 hours you receive a response (mine took less than 24 hours for a full refund.) 

I believe that Air bnb resolultion people can easily recognise the 'signs' of a genuine traveller and the signs of a genuine host. They can see when that's not the case.

Thank you all the awesome hosts out there who make our travel possible.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jan587

There are unscupulous hosts out there who will try and get out of a confirmed reservation Jan and none of us condone that! But, unfortunately it does work both ways! A guest will for some reason decide they need to cancel a confirmed reservation and are told by Airbnb that the only way they can have all their money refunded is to get the host to accept responsibility for the cancellation. They then instruct Airbnb to get the host to cancel, and Airbnb will send an email to the host that looks a bit like this.....

Cancellation notice.png

The poor unsuspecting host thinks that the guests request is all taken care of and they need to do nothing, and the next thing they know is, a cancellation notice is posted on their review page which will affect their future business for years to come, they will be denied Superhost status and receive a financial penalty!

'Genuine travellers' who decide they need to get out of an obligation they committed themselves to create a world of pain for hosts.....we all live in fear of coming across these 'genuine travellers'!!

Cheers.....Rob

My host wants me to cancel our booking so she can change her prices.. 

Has anyone experienced how long it actually takes until Airbnb pays the money back if the host cancels? Is it possible that it takes 10 business days or so to make its way back into the guests account? In case the guest doesn`t find an appropriate alternative on Airbnb.

Luke337
Level 1
Liverpool, United Kingdom

If I select "my host needs to cancel" I am just sent round in circles via the contact me option. 

D83
Level 2
Casey, Australia

I got no help from Airbnb case manager. They just got the host to cancel. I'm left with no place to stay for Christmas.Host has 2 accounts. He can close the account with bad reviews and start again. I saw his last reviews and he cancelled on someone else in Oct 2019 and he cancels me in Nov 2019. 

My problem: I got to find and pay more to find a new place at this short notice. No help from Airbnb. Case manager conveniently away for the next 7 days. What a joke.

Joshua71
Level 3
Burnaby, Canada

That's the downside to Airbnb. There is no recourse. 

Nina209
Level 2
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hello!
I have a problem and i need your help.

Me and my husband booked an apartment in Trabia beggining from today(28.8) to stay for five days. As we arrived today (around 14:15) at the Airport of Palermo, our host texted us via Whatsapp that he is not able to take us in his apartment and said that we should cancel the reservation.

We told him to cancel on his own, and even sent a request on airbnb for a host to cancel it, which he didn’t done, and he stopped answering on our messages.

Now we are roaming around the city looking for a place to stay. As it's currently a season, everything is full, it's not possible to find a stay in our price range. It is horrible! This is our first experience with airbnb and it's horrible...

We can also send you screenshots of the conversation with out host where he told us that he cannot host us. Tell us what t o do please, and please respond as soon as you can.

Nina 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nina209 

You need to contact Airbnb and ask for cancellation on behalf of the host, also ask for help to relocate you: Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated] 

And letting the host know you are going to do this, maybe will speed up the cancellation..