Host wants me to cancel my trip

Alp1
Level 1
Ankara, Turkey

Host wants me to cancel my trip

Hi!

I have booked a place about 2 months prior to my visit. The host said there was a conflict in his program and asked me to cancel. I assume that he doesn't want to cancel due to the 100 dollars fine. He promised to reimburse me and pay me the additional service fee. He seems trustworthy, however I have bad experiences in these situations. I have already found another place and paid for it too. So, I just want this to be over with. When I got to the cancelling page, there was an option to ask the host to cancel. Is this the best course of action for us, so that I can get a full refund and he doesn't pay any fines?

Thanks

7 Replies 7
Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

@Alp1

I see no reason for you to cancel if the host is having a conflict in his program, to start with. The logic dictates that he should either have to cancel or seek a mutual agreement with you on cancellation. The last thing that YOU may want to do is to cancel on your own.

I am also wondering what kind of cancellation policy on the part of the host involves a $100.00 fine? 

Furthermore, even if your host has the most flexible cancellation policy, you'd be still paying the Airbnb fees that are basically non-refundable, should you cancel as a guest. 

If you cannot reach any agreement with your host, consider raising this issue with the Resolution Center ASAP!

If you find this information helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs-Up icon near lower right. Thanks!

I used the ask to cancel option and he agreed. Then the website gave me a choice to get a full refund. All is good. Thanks for the help.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Danny9 @Alp1

The 100,- is a cancellation fine that a host has to pay when cancelling. If the host is a Superhost Airbnb also additionally removes their Superhost status for a year! That's hard and the reason why this host is trying to find an agreement with you is to avoid being dinged so harshly. And that is worth it to them to cover your cancellation costs.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Alp1 Contact Airbnb. They should be able to cancel without penalizing you.

Hamilton5
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi, my host said their place is no longer available. They offered to host me some other date but I can't just change my vacation plans for that. They want me to cancel the reservation. But I used a credit to make the reservation and I need that credit back. I used the request host to cancel option, but they said they can't cancel, and after a few messages, they just started ignoring me.

How can I get Airbnb to help me?

@Hamilton5  Contact Airbnb. There is a large pinned post on the first page of this Help Forum that gives you the phone numbers. Reports are that contacting them through twitter gets the best and fastest results.

This host is being a jerk. Of course you can't just change your vacation plans. And of course he can cancel, he just doesn't want to because he will get penalties for that, tough luck, not your problem. This definitely needs to go in as a host cancellation because he's told you the place isn't available. 

Thanks @Sarah977!

I actually got help through the app, following the Get Help links associated with the reservation. The Airbnb team replied to me within an hour, and the host cancelled within a couple of hours after they replied. It worked like a charm!

Now I'm just waiting for the credit to appear on my profile again. Fingers crossed!