Hosting: Day 8-How to Stay a Happy and Motivated Host

Aesha0
Level 6
Dallas, TX

Hosting: Day 8-How to Stay a Happy and Motivated Host

Being a host is no easy task and finding the motivation and energy that you had when you first started can sometimes be a challenge.

How do you navigate through this journey of the ever evolving world of Airbnb with finesse, grace and great ratings? Here are a few things that I've done to avoid “host fatigue” and remain my best at all times.

1. Always act like every guest is your very first.  We all remember how excited we were when we opened the door to greet our very first guest.  We went above and beyond to make sure that everything was perfect. Just remember that it may be your guests first Airbnb experience and you are the face of what so many people around the world have grown to love.  
  2. Keep things exciting around your place by occasionally changing things.  Adding a new picture, plant, front door wreath, creating a fun accent wall or even an Alexa for entertainment can enhance your place, not only for your guest but you as well!
  3. Never treat your guest(s) like a number.  Find out if they are coming for a special occasion or conference etc. The information that your guest may divulge gives you an opportunity to make their stay truly unique. Having a birthday cupcake and card shows that you really care about their experience. If coming in for a conference, you could have the conference itinerary printed out along with directions to the venue from your property.  Doing nice things for others is a natural mood enhancer.
  4. Be a guest yourself! One of the most important things for me when it comes to hosting is being a guest myself. What is the experience like from booking to check in? What techniques do other hosts use to create a great experience? I always enjoy staying with other hosts and have picked up some great ideas along the way from check in procedures  to decor and the perfect arrival snack.
  5. If you ever start to feel tired of hosting, take a break. As with all things, we all need to take some time off. Taking some downtime to rejuvenate is an essential part in being able to treat each guest with the same passion as your first.  It is essential to keep a healthy balance in your own personal life so that you can give your best in other areas, including being a phenomenal host.
  6. Find a host BFF or your local Airbnb community of hosts to stay connected, get tips, share ideas and for support. It's so helpful and refreshing to have others that you can collaborate and network with.Airbnb Open-LAAirbnb Open-LA

These are just some of the things that have helped me stay at my best and I hope these tips help you be the best host that you can be every day. Feel free to share some tips that have helped you through your journey and thanks for taking the time to read.  

Happy hosting ❤

Aesha

Dallas, TX

19 Replies 19
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Aesha0 Thanks for your very thoughtful post! I think the most important and probably the very best advice is your #1..............and that works with any business. When I began my massage therapy business over 15 yrs. ago, I used that rule and wanted to make every massage my best massage - AND it worked for 15 yrs. I treated them like it was their first time with me and worked to make it best. When we approach business like that it will indeed give us an advantage and energy and a renewed and different guests/customer field.  

and #4 also is critical - glad you mentioned that - I am always surprised to hear hosts that have NEVER stayed in an Airbnb.

I think the only thing I might add is stay in your own place - be a guest and look from that vantage point - it can be surprising and a terrific thing.

Just that you are thinking about staying motivated and happy is the recipe to much success. Thanks and happy hosting, Blessings, Clara

I am in total agreement with you about staying at your own place! That is definitely a must! So glad to hear that you enjoyed the post. It sounds like you're a very savvy business woman.  Keep up the great job. 

Happy Holidays,

Aesha

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Aesha0 fantastic post with some great tips 🙂 I agree with @Clara116 that number 1 is very important!

I am using number 5 currently- I support quite a few London hosts with check ins/out, turnovers and listing management and December is a busy time, so I have blocked my calendar so I can put my focus on that, and then pick up my own hosting in January nice and fresh!

Happy hosting and greetings of the season.

Paul:)

Well Paul it sounds like you are a heaven sent to many hosts! 

I can't stress enough the importance of taking time for yourself and it sounds like you've got a great handle on that.  

Enjoy your time off and cheers to a happy new year!

Best 

Aesha

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Aesha0 Great post full of useful tips! I am going to try hard this coming year to actually be a guest at an Airbnb. So far in my travels, there have been no suitable listings, mostly because I travel with a big dog. Right now, I try to imagine how I would feel as a guest in my own home, and modify things accordingly. And I ask guests for their useful feedback tin order to make improvements. 

Love your idea of joining up or starting a local Airbnb support group. Previously, I have had two other friends host, and they have recently stopped. Really miss talking with them about issues.  Another friend will start hosting next week, so I have been having fun with him in making his dreams a reality. 

The picture of you is wonderful! 

Yes,  you must go stay at some dog friendly Airbnb's! I have met so many amazing hosts, that have become great friends.  It is so nice to have others who understand what you do.  We often share our hosting experiences. 

Check online to see if there are any groups in your area or even message a few hosts close by to see if they are open to get together for a meet and greet! 

Thanks for the sweet compliment and I'd love to find out about your first experience as a guest. Keep me posted!

Your friend in Dallas,

Aesha

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Aesha0. What  a happy post! For me, Nº 1 would read, greet each guest like they were guest Nº 25. By that time, I was far more relaxed and my stomach didn't churn as I answered the doorbell. For my first guests, my brain quoted Fosse in "All that Jazz" murmuring "Its show time!"

Oh how funny!!! I was nervous with my first guest as well but after he arrived,  I realized that he was new to this too which took away some of the anxiety. I was so fortunate to have an amazing guest my first go round!

I'm sure you are an absolute pro now! 

Happy hosting, 

Aesha

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thanks @Aesha0 for the cheery post.

The concepts are all crowd pleasers, no matter what industry we come from; but it is so important to be reminded and reflect. 

It is too easy during high season to get on the circulating treadmill of clean, turnaround - turnover. 

Smile - repeat!

But as @Susan151@Paul1255 & @Clara116 have mentioned below your post, tailoring your needs for your space and energy is so important. For me @Susan151, I think it was more like guest #10! But I do remember the feeling only too well ....

For me the reason a guest is in town is SO important! Work related, is very different from a family reunion. An interstater having their first big holiday touring the Top End of Australia  has needs that are still different from an international group landing in Oz, from this end of the country. Tailoring the requirements, information makes it personal.

I learn so much from everyone on this platform, but I need to make it work for my energy and financial needs.

🙂

Thanks again.

@Aesha0 

Great positive post, Aesha with many valuable tips for making guests happy!  😉 😉

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Aesha0, thank you for the nice, thoughtful post!

I especially agree with number 4 about being a guest ourselves. I have found it very helpful to continue being a guest and have also learned a lot about how to update, change or adapt my own space to continually improve it. Being a guest gives me a look at what other hosts are doing and thinking and gives me insight into areas such as decor, check-in, and amenities. 

Keep traveling and observing! 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Aesha0

Great post! Nice tips!   🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Aesha0the tip about been a Guest is the same as we who have worked in retail, hospitality all must remember. I often used to pass that tip on to those who were new where I worked, especially when they were a little bored and restless with their jobs

I recently attended an event where exactly the same knowledge is instilled in staff.

When one goes out for lunch or a break, walk in the front door and pretend to be a first time customer.

All the best

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Aesha0

A lot of wonderful advice in there Aesha and the way you put it over was inspirational!

It's funny how we all have a slightly different slant on life! That first guest of mine I was all thumbs up, not knowing what to expect or how to interact. Experience is a great teacher and I never take a guest for granted. At my age not to many people in life just hand me money to be nice to them. I am a much better host now than I was when that first one walked up the drive into my life!

You make great points though Aesha, thanks for a fine contribution!

Cheers........Rob