Hosting Experience and Aribnb Reward

Sabrina108
Level 3
Lisbon, Portugal

Hosting Experience and Aribnb Reward

Hi all, I have been hosting for nearly one and half year and it is so far so good. There have been some challenging moments with some difficult guests but in general, it was good. I have also been a super host for last four quarters. I have not received the travel credit from Airbnb. So, I want to know if I have to be a super host for 4 quarter in a year, like all 4 quarters of 2017? I have been super host for the last quarter of 2016 and 3 quarters of 2017.

About my experience, Airbnb should really install a system to force the guests to communicate their arrival times. Also, it is very common for the guests to not to read all details of a listing. So, it would also be helpful to create a small form where the guests would see the key details of the listing and sign it electronically that would be send to the guests as proof to show to the guests that "you have read the details".  

Any, happy hosting to all. 

Best regards

Sabrina

16 Replies 16
Gaye8
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Hello Sabrina,

I have been hosting about the same length of time as you with SuperHost status as well. I am finding more recently that people are not communicating their arrival times even when requested numerous times. I try to accommodate guests if given enough time but I am starting to state a specific window of time for check in.

I am also giving out more specifics when the guests arrive because I believe you are correct about people sometimes not reading your write up 

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Sabrina108,

This made me smile/laugh! 😉   Force someone to communicate?  Impossible.

And the last time you updated any of your computer software, did you read the entire FIFTY PAGES or did you just scroll down and click the box that said "I have read and accept the terms"   

?

Gotta relax about this little stuff.  It really is little stuff.

Best,

Kim

Hi Kim & Sabrina,

While you are right that this is little stuff and I usually skip to the bottom and click "accept" without reading, it's often because we know that those TOS generally mean that we are forced to accept it all in order to use the site (Facebook, Twitter, AirBnB etc)... if you say no, you just can't play. I think the room descriptions etc are a different kettle of fish though, and I would think that people would be interested in knowing what they are booking. I put a lot of time into writing a very detailed description (and included lots of photos from many angles) and I often have people make comments about being surprised about the space... some pleasantly surprised to see that there is a mini fridge and a TV (I'm thinking, did you not even look at the pictures??) and then a recent one today complaining about the steep stairs. It is a loft and I mention the stairs in the description. If people don't read it, and are NOT pleasantly surprised, they punish us with lower ratings.

The check-in time can be a serious concern too. As this is not my only job, I may actually be at work and unavailable if a guest arrives at an unexpected time. I also had a really awkward experience one time... so I'm a single mom and I only rent out the loft when my kids are not home. I didn't tell them that I was doing it because my ex has been giving me a hard time about so many things and I didn't want the idea of "strange men" staying at Mom's house to become an issue. So one day my kids were with me and were scheduled to be picked up at 4pm. I had a guest who had previously requested to book with a 6pm checkin. I accepted. Once I accept, the system sends him my address etc. He then decided, without communicating with me, to arrive early and just showed up around 1pm when I was in the backyard with my kids. I was surprised and kept trying to hush him and have a private conversation but he loudly announced to everyone in the neighbourhood that he was coming to stay and he couldn't figure out how to send me a message through AirBnB... my kids were looking at this guy and wondering who the heck he was... I had to turn him away and asked him to come back later and told my kids he was at the wrong place. Communication is very important. Yes, we cannot force people to communicate, but I think it is very disrespectful to not. Guests need to realize that this is not the Hilton with 24-7 staffing... often it is families renting out a room in their house, so knowing when to expect someone is very important, even in terms of cleaning and prepping the space. I had some other guests show up several hours earlier than discussed and I was still setting up the room. I am the entire team... I do not have cleaning staff. Anyhoo... it's basic courtesy to others and sadly that seems to be on the decline these days.

@Charlie81, 😉 you just wrote:

"While you are right that this is little stuff and I usually skip to the bottom and click "accept" without reading, it's often because we know that those TOS generally mean that we are forced to accept it all in order to use the site (Facebook, Twitter, AirBnB etc)... if you say no, you just can't play."

So how are you managing your place? 

*)

Kim

Hi Kim,

I'm not sure I know what you mean... How am I doing with it? I'm doing well, for the most part. How, as in what am I using as a management tool? I'm just using the AirBnB platform and messaging system, which works well when people use it. My ratings are good - usually 4-5 star (though I get annoyed when someone leaves anything less than a 5 star for something stupid and petty ... I just commented about that elsewhere.)

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/listing-and-reservations/mes...

I'm not a super host since I can only do it part time due to the kid situation that I mentioned and my work.

Generally I enjoy it but some people.... 😉

Charlie

@Charlie81, you're doing a great job, and there are always 'some people.' 

Best,

Kim

Hi Kimberly,

It may be small stuff for you and a matter to laugh, for me it is not. I guess, I have more experience in hosting than you. So, that was my opinion.

Hi @Sabrina108, not 'laughing' at all.  Things happen.

You may have more experience hosting with AirBnB than I, but my family and I have done this for generations.

Best,

Kim

Stop arguing, @Kimberly54 @Sabrina108 😉 

When I wrote a couple of weeks ago that we would witness more and more disrespectful guests, I was the one pointed out. It's true they don't read, and when you kindly mention to a U.S. guest with no reviews on his virgin stay through Airbnb that it is good to read at least the resources for the guests, you are scored 4/5 for communication with a comment that you should be more patient... C'mon, most millenials do really have issues... with themselves.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

This is true...people do not like to be told, even kindly, that they may be doing something incorrectly, or may be in the wrong, did not read a description. or are not fully informed. The *bleep* who points this out is to be punished with a lower rating!  

Hey, hey, @Charlie0,

This is a  semi-public forum.  No one meant to hurt your feelings. No throwing stones.

Best,

Kim

I do not understand this comment. I never said that anyone hurt my feelings. I had suggested that if we tell a client that they did something "wrong" that they then respond by giving us a lower rating when asked to review their experience.

I'm tired. My brain hurts. Goodnight internet.

Charlie

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Not sure why the edit didn't come through.... sorry!

Kim
Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Charlie81and all,

Maybe this will help explain:

"YES, I have read the terms and ACCEPT"

Once, some years ago, in one of the 55 page Apple disclaimers someone wrote: (Paraphrase... wish I still had the reference, but Apple KILLED IT.)

"By signing this agreement you authorize Apple complete authority of your soul."  This went on for at least two of the most hilarious paragraphs about what rights you were giving away--your soul--after your death.  Details about Heaven/Hell, etc... it was only caught because everyone who knew could not help laughing, but of course, NO ONE READS this stuff.  So who cared? 

These are the times we live in.  Nobody reads stuff anymore; if we want in the game, just check off the box.

The rest is left up to real people to explain.

I know.  I am an Apple Developer, and IOS 11 (3) is NOT MY FAULT.  ;-)))))))

Best,

Kim