Can I do hosting for Females Only in a shared space?

Answered!
Noel19
Level 2
Denver, CO

Can I do hosting for Females Only in a shared space?

I know that this is a touchy subject, but I need to ask a question.

Due to a bad experience with a male guest I have decided to only take female guests for the time being. I have it both in the first paragraph of my listing and in my house rules. I have had two male inquiries in the last 24 hours, and I know that it affects my standing if I decline a guest (the last time I did this it erased my listing and it took me 3 months to get it figured out). I can "accept" their request but mention in a note that they have to abide by my rules, right?

This is confusing. I don't really know what to do, so any suggestions would be helpful.

1 Best Answer

@Jann3  I disagree.  @Noel19 has the legal right to decide who she rents to IF, and only if, she lives in the dwelling. 

A person can be selective based on gender when it is a roommate situation (or if a host is sharing a home with a guest).  

Any person looking for a roommate (or guest) is allowed to be selective based on sex **IF** the dwelling is shared. This is not a violation the US Fair Housing Act.  It does not constitue illegal housing discrimination. 

A landlord advertising or renting a property to a person or persons cannot discriminate based on sex under the law.  Doing this kind of thing is illegal and will get anyone into lots of problems.  

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Tricky subject, especially in a tricky country like the politically-correct US. I wish I had a tricky answer, but I don't. LoL

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

My suggestion, and don't take this the wrong way, but don't do this. If you don't wish to host men, then don't host women either. This is against AirBnB's terms of service. You cannot say: "I am uncomfortable hosting men." You can only say "I am uncomfortable with this guest." 

If you in ANY way make it gender-biased then AirBnB will disallow it. You can get closed down by AirBnB over something like this.

I wish I had better news for you but maybe being a host isn't right for you.

@Jann3  I disagree.  @Noel19 has the legal right to decide who she rents to IF, and only if, she lives in the dwelling. 

A person can be selective based on gender when it is a roommate situation (or if a host is sharing a home with a guest).  

Any person looking for a roommate (or guest) is allowed to be selective based on sex **IF** the dwelling is shared. This is not a violation the US Fair Housing Act.  It does not constitue illegal housing discrimination. 

A landlord advertising or renting a property to a person or persons cannot discriminate based on sex under the law.  Doing this kind of thing is illegal and will get anyone into lots of problems.  

Lina53
Level 9
New York, NY

**Accepting only female guests is absolutely fine/legal IF you are sharing the space, ie you live in the house/apt and do not feel comfortable sharing it with a male.  In the listing headline write - FEMALE ONLY.

If your listing is for an entire home, where you will NOT be staying, then only accepting females constitutes discrimination.  

Inquiries.  You do not have to accept or decline inquiries.  Just archieve.  Say that you only feel comfortable hosting females as your listing indicates.   

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I had to read it twice before I saw the female only, need to make it much more obvious.

David

Maybe add:

The Pinkhouse. Comfy. Cute Victorian – FEMALE ONLY

**I only host FEMALE guests since my home is share** This charming…

@Noel19Hello fellow Denverite! Denver is tricky because we have a lot of males visiting and moving here due to the booming pot industry. We've also had too many problems and do not host solo or duo male parties. This is absolutely allowed in a shared home situation. Put this in your pre-booking message and at the top of your house rules. We say "Female or female/male couples only" and explain this elsewhere in the house rules "Due to a personal trauma, we only accept solo or duo females or female/male couples and do not allow solo or duo males." If I have a male party book, I cancel it penalty-free (under the "do not feel safe") and there is no limit to how often you may do this if you are using Instant Book. This is because they broke AirBnB rules already by not reading your house rules. Assuming you are a single female, you can absolutely not feel safe with strange men in your house!

Hi!

I don't use instant book. So, "I don't feel comfortable with this guest" isn't an option. I hit "accept" thinking that if I hit "decline" it would erase my listing again. But, he can't agree to my house rules. So now I don't know what to do, because the listing is still showing "confirmed." Any ideas?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Noel19

Oh dear, it sounds like you would benefit from reading up more about how Airbnb works - particularly in terms of bookings, host and guest cancellations etc

Declining a booking will not delete your listing. I decline about 20% of the booking requests I receive.

If he can't agree to your house rules and you found this out after he booked, then call Airbnb, they should cancel the booking for you.

Could you share what kind of house rules? And, where do you list those? Thanks!

Noel19
Level 2
Denver, CO

Thanks so much, you guys. This is super helpful.

I should have made it more clear that it is a home sharing situation, and it's only in that scenario that I feel uncomfortable. When I occasionally list my whole house if I'm out of town, I have no preference as to who rents it. 

I appreciate the feedback on how to make it more clear in my listing. I'll get right on that.

Sharion0
Level 9
Santa Rosa, CA

@Noel19 I completely undertand your apprehension. I live alone and having a strange man in my home absolutely gives me the heebie jeebies:). I just started hosting a couple of months ago, and have been pretty sold out since I started. I have had only 2 solo men book, one was for 4 nights, the other is coming up this Wednesday for one night. I'm going to do a lot of Airbnb rule search and make sure I can highlight only females or couples on my rules. This has been really bothering me so I am really glad you posted:).

@Noel19, @Lina53:
Here is the link to Airbnb gneder policy. It is under the discrimination policy section gender identity.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclus...

Gender Identity

Airbnb does not assign a gender identity to our users. We consider the gender of an individual to be what they identify and/or designate on their user profile.

• Airbnb hosts may not
    • Decline to rent to a guest based on gender unless the host shares living spaces (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas) with the guest.
    • Impose any different terms or conditions based on gender unless the host shares living spaces with the guest.
    • Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any guest on account of gender, unless the host shares living spaces with the guest.

@Tim-and-Holly0 @Noel19   "unless the host shares living spaces (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas) with the guest."

From your copy paste:

Airbnb hosts may not:

• Decline to rent to a guest based on gender -----> unless the host shares living spaces (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas) with the guest.<-----