Hosting Local rules & regulations

Kara40
Level 1
Alexandria, VA

Hosting Local rules & regulations

Greetings, 

I live in Alexandria Va and earlier this year, there was some news/infomration regarding the State of Virginia imposing state laws surrounding short term rentals which also would give local governments ability to enforce legisilation.   This topic, hwoever, has gone silent. 

This morning, i spent some time calling City Hall - speaking to the Finance Dept and utlimately reached a clerk in the Planning & Zoning Board.   HIs commentary is this "Technically, short-term rentals are not permitted" however, he did admit that there isn't any written policy yet.  The local government, however, does have an active conversation regarding this hot topic and we should expect to see regulations soon.   I asked how I could become involved as I'd like to advocate on this topic but was simply told i could call back for updates. 

My question to the community - how much of the local legislation concerns you?  Do you find a rising narrative of people involved/advocating for Airbnb (and others) in your communities?  How can we get involved, because the tone of the person I spoke with today indicated strong legislation against short term rentals is pending?  Also, why does Airbnb get all the news when sites such as Homeaway or VRBO provide the same services?

Thanks, 

Kara

8 Replies 8

Anyone have any suggestions or concerns I should be aware of regarding hosting an airbnb listing in Anderson, SC?

D. ****

HI Denise.  Did you ever get any understanding of ordinances for airbnb in Anderson, SC?  We have owned on Lake Hartwell for a year now and it is going great.  Now one neighbor hates us because they simply don't like people coming in and out next door to them.  (The house had been empty for years.)  I would love to know if you have learned anything.

Cathy Berger

Pat96
Level 7
Williamsburg, VA

It is Short Term Rentals SR-1578-Norment. Calls for a "register" as well as "reasonable registration fees"'an a huge $500 fine if you violate the "registry ordinance"'which my county had not addressed. They push a business license which seems not required. All is a mess. 

Pat96
Level 7
Williamsburg, VA

Hi Kara

im being harassed by my county for a business license. Then they said zoning was a problem for a PUD. Which I can't find anything about short term rentals on the county website. We need to protest to the Board of Supervisors for the county to leave our private use of who we allow in our homes to us. 

Cristina590
Level 1
Alexandria, VA

This was brought to my attention and Was wondering if there has been any update with the local government about this topic? It is my understanding that they want to have a registry but how do you register to be in compliance? Trying to avoid any fines. Thanks! 

I wrote my County supervisor about the new rules signed by the governor. The

Zoning Office had a planning meeting to set up a registry, no fee discussion yet either.  So we are in a “nothing done” yet mode. At least the county has moved off the business  licenses requirement.  by t

Donita0
Level 2
Ashburn, VA

Loudoun County (Ashburn, Sterling, Leesburg, Purcellville, Lovettsville, Aldie) is conducting a survey on the topic.

FYI.. https://www.loudoun.gov/ShortTermRentals

We live in NY State in Monroe County. I researched thoroughly the definition of a BnB before we joimed Airbnb, and found that our local codes define a BnB as three or more rooms, therefor we are within our legal rights running a one room Airbnb without any license or town approval. My concern is that we who follow these rules get the brunt of the bad reputation caused by those who rent out more than three rooms or the whole house. I think that Airbnb should be reserved for those who want to rent out one or two rooms to supplement their income and not to make this a big business. When you hear stories about those who have rented out their whole house and their guests do alot of damage it reflects badly on the whole system.