Hosting Regulations worldwide

Barbara12
Level 2
Mullingar, Ireland

Hosting Regulations worldwide

Hello!

Since the Irish government is about to introduce new regulations for short term rental I wanted to ask everyone if they knew of a city / country / region where Airbnb the company have limited the number of rental properties individual hosts can put up for rent?
There are quite a number of hosts like me here who happen to have a second property (but only one!) that provides essential income for them and their families, and we are in danger of losing this.
I think if Airbnb got rid of serial hosts with multiple properties it would do a lot for our image.

Any examples welcome, thanks!

8 Replies 8
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Barbara12

Airbnb itself is unlikely to limit supply - more property is more booking fee for them.

Seattle allows primary plus one other property from next year. The problem with this is going to be how to enforce it. Wife has an account etc so that would be another two etc.

i do think it is to the benefit of us hosts if Airbnb is controlled, otherwise entire buildings become Airbnb hotels (one up road has 20 units). Hard to make money with unlimited supply 😞

They are talking about the "Toronto" model... a complete ban on hosting second properties, no limit to home-sharing and a 90 day limit to renting your entire primary home. However, if you can get planning permission for a change of use from residential accommodation to short term rental accommodation you may carry on regardless. I agree that prices have dropped since we started hosting 4 years ago, fewer guests and more properties seems to be the reason.

It seems NYC have a one host one home rule that Airbnb helps to enforce?

Just one question about the Seattle situation - is the new primary plus one a tightening up of rules, or a relaxation? And why the change?

Tightening up - also illegal to use tent, RV, boat, houseboat within city.

Ideally it would be primary only - most small timers have mother in law units in basement but a lot of push back from people with investment properties.

seattle rental market is very tight, so not clear for a good property you will make more on Airbnb. Seattle is really strong In summer, but slow the rest of the year.

As a fellow host in Ireland, I am wondering how it will be implemented properly. In a town like Kinsale where there has been significant purchases of properties by investors, it has led to a lot of hostility towards hosts of principle properties or homes like myself. The fact that I am an outsider doesn't help. Unfortunately some of these multiple property owners are cashing in, putting 16 or so people in a townhouse meant for 6 at the most. The neighbours are appalled, traditional businesses are fighting against this new business model. I would like a happy middle ground of some regulation, however the Irish have always had a way of turning a blind eye to those not following rules, or who know friends in power. I would be interested to know if anyone has had similar restrictions imposed and how it affected their small business, and if the race to the bottom prices improved somewhat.

if it is a complete ban then that is easy to enforce - and maybe the only other allowed is shared room ? 

Most of us small timers are renting out part of our primary.

I have another 2 bed which is a long term rental, I'm not even sure I would make more $$ on Airbnb at this point. It would be a struggle outside of summer, and would be a lot of extra work and make it hard for us ourselves to ever travel 😞

@Rosemarie9

We have seen the same change of mood towards Airbnb. When we started hosting 4 years ago it was a nice, novel idea, supported by almost everyone. Now you would keep quiet about it, in case you get abuse, or - as happened to me - you get charged extra from your hairdresser, plumber, etc. because you're obviously making loads of easy money. Pity!

You know, I was thinking the same thing yesterday, I am sick of being charged through the nose and keep quiet with tradesmen for the same reason. After three years of hosting, everything has been put into upgrading the house, ironically I have just been getting by, despite being busy, and hopefully might start making some profit next year. The town facebook page is always full of abuse towards airbnb hosts and the way they are pricing out young families in Kinsale, although I don't think anything will be solved by the regulations here, it has always been expensive to live here with little housing stock and history as a tourist town. I just think it is ludicrous that the government's here close their eyes for so long then always knee jerk in some totally unexpected way. I think there will be an outcry when the tourists start complaining how expensive accommodation becomes, like the last boom, and the restaurant association is already concerned about the effect it will have on them. I just LOVE it when people think I have it made, I work longer hours now than I have before, for less pay, but it suits me to work from home at the moment. It ain't easy being a host sometimes!