Hosting a guests that has a bad review

Stacy57
Level 3
Whitby, Canada

Hosting a guests that has a bad review

Im new to Airbnb as a hosts and so far it's going okay problems. I recently had a request to host a guest with a 15month old baby. I thought nothing of it upon reading her review by another hosts that indicated that “she had lack of respect for the apartment. The air conditioner was left on. Lights left on, cups dirty and bags bins not emptied”.

I honestly don’t feel comfortable.  I was just wondering how other hosts deal with guests who request to stay but have a bad review.  Do you take the risk? Give them the benefit of the double? 

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

We do something quite simple and not too outrageously daring: we hit the Decline button, and skip the potential hosting nightmare. 😉

Lol thanks ok I did the right thing. 

And when I did that she wrote me back saying “thanks for wasting my time, I found a better listing then yours and oh by the way don’t contact me no more.” 

I laughed out loud at the the reply and said thank goodness I dodged a bullet. It didn’t take long for her to revile her true colours. 

Thanks for the response 🙂

Stacy

Aye Stacy, you did indeed and good for you. Welcome to the forum. 

The kind of person that feels a need to make a snarky comment like that

is not the kind of person anyone should want to host.

You made an excellent decision.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I feel sorry for the host that ends up with her. 

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Stacy0 I think you escaped a bad guest this time!

I received a request last year from a woman who had one good review and one bad. I agonized over it and had a few text conversations with her and finally decided to take a chance. I was glad that I did. She was a great guest and we became friends. I think we really need to weigh how a guest makes us feel and then go with our gut. We all know that there are evil guest whom leave bad reviews for unsuspecting hosts and I imagine that there are a number of hosts who do just the same. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Perhaps also report her? She's the sort of guest that needs to be removed from the system.