Hosting a private room – what are your tips?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hosting a private room – what are your tips?

Private Rooms.jpg

Hello everyone,

We’re looking for tips from hosts who list private-rooms. Many of you host guests in your home and hosting a shared space has its own set of challenges and things to think about, but there are also many rewards!

What are your top tips for hosting a private-room listing? Do provide certain items in your guest room? Perhaps you add extra information on what your guest can expect to your listing description?

We'd love to hear your input for an upcoming article. Thank you!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

105 Replies 105

@Lizzie, Iately I’m trying to shorten description and written house rules, hoping that future guests will read it. But I also include non formal sentences. And when people are at home I’m trying to make them feel relaxed. Such frases like: here you see fruits. It is not for decoration, it has to be eaten quickly! makes guests smile. 

I love that attitude Yuliana! I will try that.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

I think one consideration would have to be the host's own personal safety.  I would invest about $10 in a "portable door lock"portable door lock .JPG (Amazon search words) which you could use in situations where you were unsure about a guest's intentions.  I stayed in an Airbnb in March where a lovely single woman hosted in her home, in a separate bedroom. She recounted how she woke one night to find a "handsy" guest trying to enter her bedroom!  I always travel with one of these little locks which can be used on almost any door which opens inward, including hotel rooms where you can't always be sure of who has a key.  

As a host who travels as a guest, I also use a portable locking device at night, whether I’m in an Airbnb or a hotel. Maybe where there is no bedroom lock, they could be offered for use to travellers. I use this device which flat packs in a little plastic envelope. Easy as.... 738CB9A5-02E2-4BDD-9709-9813201B27F6.jpeg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It's fascinating to hear that when you both travel your take with you a portable lock, @Cathie19 and @Susie5. I've never thought of this. Feeling safe is vitally important and just having something like this can help to put your mind at rest. With this in mind, would it help you when booking a place to know if there is a lock on the room door or not? 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Lizzie, I have items lost in a locked hotel in the past, when I’ve been out. .... So I’m security conscious.  So to recite that scenario, I also travel with a Safepack portable safe that I can lock up a camera, currency, memory cards or laptop in when going out.  You secure it around a non moveable object (unless they have a hand saw), and this has been very useful in some of the less secure and informal areas we have stayed in.

My portable door lock is used in hotels with multiple keys, but also the smaller guest house when in the room. So yes, a latch inside the room is important, but as a host, I always have a spare set in an emergency.. A CATCH 22: I know! I have given these locks to some single female friends and family, who have been very happy to travel with them.

Before I ventured into Airbnb, my two rooms were for international language homestay students - who did not know one another. The rooms have key locks on them and both rooms have a small keyed safe so they can put away their passport etc. they can take the key or hide it... or not use it.

It is now added security for families, friends  or travelling couples sharing the space.

Yes the option to secure a bedroom or bathroom is important to retain security and peace of mind, to the best of your ability. I do look for security conscious hosts, where possible. You can still be a friendly host, but locks respects everyone privacy.

I have a private room in my house with a locking door knob.  Is it better to put a key lock on and give the guest a key to there room ? 

I have a private room in my house with a locking door knob.  Is it better to put a key lock on and give the guest a key to there room ? 

Hi Christy! I rent two of my three bedrooms and all bedrooms have a locking keyed knob. Some guests only stay a night but some stay longer, but it’s peace of mind for everyone when they are out:)

I thought that was a chainsaw 🙂 I guess you can never be too careful...

Gosh, what they can miniaturise now for travel is amazing! Very useful for those low branches when hiking, or wandering in the garden..... 🤪

Pete, that was my first take, too, thought it was a chainsaw, which could also be used for personal safety 🙂

Great idea.  I have an older home and my husband told me years ago that you could lock the door with a  kitchen knife. ( door opens in ) Just insert knife in the molding!   (That’s why I have a kitchen knife in one of my bureau drawers. ) 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Paul1255  Your posting is well considered and on point for many hosts of private rooms.  I started this adventure 3 years ago and have learned much about the shared home economy along with learning about myself.

As a host I have developed a keen ability to understand what is important to the guest.  As previously stated, some guest want contact and some don't.  I also look for opportunities to add value for the guest without adding cost to me.  Usually that means be attuned to the guest expectation.

I do get much lovely feedback, but one group of young people attending a large musical festival told me they liked "coming home to me" and having a nice breakfast when I commented they might have enjoyed being in an entire home.  I guess I like being a "mom".

When I retired, I wanted this stage of my life to be one of personal growth, not a shrinking world of struggling to keep the world I grew up with.  One aspect of hosting is being presented with challenges and seeking to solve rather than blame guests and/or Air BNB.  This is an adventure....LOVE IT

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely words here @Linda108, 'This is an adventure...LOVE IT!' is such a great outlook to have. 🙂

I'm intrigued, you mention you have gained an understanding on what is important to your guests. Would you be able to share a bit more about this? Do you think these are particularly unique to hosting a private room?

--------------------