Hosting as passive income while on SSI disability

SteveGecko0
Level 1
Hopland, CA

Hosting as passive income while on SSI disability

I am on disability and don't want to lose my medicare and disability benefits, but want to earn some income by hosting. I am wondering how other people navigate paying the taxes and earned income, and not affect their status. Thanks!

8 Replies 8
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Its unlikely you will make an profit from Airbnb once you deduct your expenses (as you would for any rental) :

- depriciate against the purchase of your property (or percent of your property that you Airbnb) over 27.5 years

- depriciate against furniture, flooring over 5 years

- costs of utilities provided gas, electric,water, garbage

- any cleaning costs

- vehicle usage to visit Airbnb, purchase supplies

- property tax

- insurance

- cable, wifi

This will add up to a significant amount ($20k+ in most cases) which you can offset against your income at tax time. The benefit of renting out part of your home is that most of these expenses exist already, you are now sharing them.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Pete28, ''vehicle usage to visit Airbnb''???

Once you use property for income, you may be liable to pay other taxes on sale of property, at least the proportion of area rented. check your country laws. Does not apply if you are renting as owner is already paying this.

The car is  assuming it's on a large property like Steve has in his listing 🙂 or a separate property.

Steve might also want to be generous (as he is) in sharing his pool which would have running costs and construction associated with it.

His biggest problem is that he is renting out an airstream which will have far lower purchase costs than a home and he can't depriciate the value of the land.

You are correct, if he sells he will have to pay capital gains. He would be advised to visit an accountant 🙂 

In general few rental properties makes a profit after expenses are calculated.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I get it now, major confusion. I actually read it as visiting Airbnb. As in the office. I wondered how and why you would. I don't think of my accommodation  as ''airbnb'', I think of it as my accommodation.

Be sure to seek the advise of a Tax Preparer (not H&R Block, but a real one) His costs will also be a future business deduction. 

Keep EVERY receipt. Buying paper for your printer? - deductable (to  degree)

Buying Soap, Shampoo etc? - deductable (to  degree)

The list is endless, but the biggest mistake we all make, is not to keep all those little (pesky) receipts that would make tax time so much easier come the new year. 

One final thought; get in the habit of separating your items at Costco, the supermaket, the dollar store or wherever you buy. This is personal, and that is for the business. Again makes it soooo easy at tax time. 

Best of luck 

Peter 

Kat158
Level 2
San Diego, CA

If you are a renter hosting for Airbnb or simply renting or subletting to another renter, can you deduct a portion of your rent? If you share your rental by allowing Airbnb guests or another renter to use 1 of the 2 bedrooms and all common areas, and make your place available to them all the time, could you then deduct half your rent? I assume the other deductions would be utilities, linens, shampoo, everything you supply for the renter, but I know that unearned income after the first $20 counts directly against SSI benefits. 

I'm trying hard to find ways to pay the rent and just survive while I'm unable to work and still remain eligible for benefits in case they do ultimately approve me for SSI. One cannot survive anywhere in this country on just SSI unless they don't have to pay rent or mortgage. I don't want to be homeless! Please help!

You all are missing the point of his question. I'm sure if he was wondering what to deduct on taxes he would of asked that. And why be negative on saying he won't make money when there are plenty of people making much more through airbnb than through the normal rental structure.  Look up airbnb arbitrage for one example of making money without even owning the properties. People are so closed minded, negative and bring others down with you. Be negative to yourself and close your mouth.  Anyways..

It seems like his concern is to how not to lose benefits from ssdi while making money through airbnb. With ssdi you can have very limited earned income and unlimited unearned  ( passive ) income. The key is to make sure you have people in place that handle all of your daily activities with the rental. Ssdi might ask you what you do on a daily basis to earn that airbnb income. In which you respond with I do nothing.  I have a property manager, airbnb co host, contractors, an accountant,  etc that handles this rental.  If you do daily activities with the rental then ssdi can say that it is earned income and take away your benefits. Also look up the 14 day rule for rentals. It basically is where if you don't have anyone staying at the rental for more than 14 days then you don't have to report the income on taxes at all. But you will also not be able to deduct expenses but who cares if you don't have to pay taxes. With the 14 day rule you still may get letters from the irs wondering where their taxes are for that income because airbnb will report your earnings to the irs and to you through form 1099-k . So you will just need to tell the irs that no one stayed over 14 days and provide the prove they request. Do whatever you need to do ( hire management,  cleaning companies,  co host,  contractors for repairs, bookkeepers, etc ) to make sure your airbnb rental is run by others or at least your able to get letters from your help saying they do this and that for you. You must not appear to be active with the property and be able to prove it in order to report the income as unearned in the eyes of ssdi. 

Now, if you are on ssi and not ssdi then any income you earn no matter earned or unearned will risk those benefits. I'm assuming ssdi by your question. 

Also, I'm not sure if you are trying to rent out a room or an entire house for airbnb. I wrote my response assuming you want to build a real estate airbnb cash flow type business  ( which I think you should do. Take advantage of this short time we have in this world and build an empire you can pass down to your family ). If so, just protect yourself with good records, an llc ( another topic but do a joint llc so you can say your partner does all the work and you just provide money for the business. This will tell ssdi you are not actively involved and your income from the llc is passive), hire professionals to handle day to day operations, and don't do anything for the rental that would risk your benefits. When you file taxes assuming you don't follow the 14 day rule make sure you file the rental income on form schedule E. This is for passive( unearned ) income. Schedule C is for self employment income which is earned income. So bottom line in my opinion is get your property on airbnb, don't rent it for more than 14 days to any one person at a time, don't file taxes at all if you stick to the 14 day rule, or use schedule E if needed, form an llc with a friend or family member to " handle everything", get a team in place to run this cash flow machine, build a real estate empire to pass down to future generations, live your best life and take care of yourself/family.  I am not a lawyer, accountant, real estate agent or anything like that. Please get legal advise for everything I said before jumping in. But by me being a disabled veteran with the same concerns you have with earned and unearned income, the above is what I'd recommend by my research and experience.  I hope helps you and others get more income without risking the ssdi benefits. 

Van8348
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

14 day rule is per year. It has nothing to do with length of stay. 

14 days total per 365 calendar year.