Hosting in Arvada, Colorado is ILLEGAL

Hosting in Arvada, Colorado is ILLEGAL

I have been informed by the city of Arvada that renting out guest rooms on AirBnb and other sites is illegal. I am currently researching this and intend to fight this law but in the meantime please spread the word. If Arvada starts enforcing this law hosts in Arvada could potentially face large fines.

Please message me with any questions/concerns or if you want to assist me in getting this law changed. The best way to connect is via Facebook so we can chat and exchange phone numbers. You can find me by searching Facebook for "Adam ** Colorado State University". My profile will be the only search result listed.

Thanks.

Adam **

14 Replies 14
Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

I've seen other posts like this and wondered about it.  My question is why is it illegal if its your own home?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Could be that local licensing or planning laws don't allow short term rentals or they may live somewhere the that a housing board or other association which doesn't allow for short term lettings. Sometimes it's both 🙂

Em4
Level 10
Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand

Thank you Helen.  but i still don't understand.  why would that happen?  and if it does how did it develop? 

Sonja91
Level 1
Arvada, CO

l'm wondering if there are any updates to this ruling?  I'm doing some research for my employer who travels extensively and has a really great place in Arvada she'd like to rent out while she's away.

Maggie220
Level 1
Arvada, CO

Have you heard anything more on this topic in Arvada, CO   I see so many people doing this, and I decided to try it myself.   I am interes

ted in knowing the tax rate that I will need to withold.   thanks

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Is it that hard to look up and read the law?  Then if necessary,  consult a licenced attorney in the area?  🙂

Elissa6
Level 1
Denver, CO

Hello, I just bought a house in Arvada with the intent to airbnb half of it. Is this legal? I'm trying so hard to find the rules! I see there are many airbnb's in Arvada. Thanks!

Jordan327
Level 1
Arvada, CO

According to have I've read and what the planning department at the city says, it isn't allowed but the city does not actively enforce, but pursues complaints (i.e. unhappy neighbors.)Thecity is not actively pursuing people on the site and if a neighbor complains, you’ll likely be asked to take it down but not receive a fine on the first request. 

Kaylin7
Level 1
Boulder, CO

Hi there, 

Does anyone know if Arvada is going to pass any regulations? I have an AirBnB up in Arvada, and the city is happily taking my tax money from profits - even though its not allowed. I even registered for a Sales Tax License and said exactly what I needed it for - STR - and no road blocks. Is it fair that some AirBnB's get complaints and have to shut down - all the while someone is running it under the radar since its not enforced? Theres no chance for those hosts to fix whatever that problem was that was disruptive?

In any case - people can change their property to a 30 day rental and then neighbors are stuck with those same tenants for 30 days! So its not ideal. I've emailed my City Council Rep - but any other leads would be helpful to get this regulated in Arvada! 

Kaylin

Apparently there is a meeting on Friday 11/8 at 4-5 pm at the Arvada library discussing STR regulations. So the problem I have is that Airbnb says they know nothing about this meeting. So my thoughts are that is the city enforcement code gather all admitting hosts and going to hand us all fines... or is this a legit meeting?

Hello what is thr tax that we the city tax percentage that hosts are responsible for?

I just had to take my listing in Arvada down because the neighbors complained. Essentially if your neighbors are good with it then there's no problem which is not fair. Would love to see Arvada allow short term rentals or enforce it.

Too bad... because my neighbors enjoy not having full time renters. What if your neighbors got stuck with a cruddy renter? For a year!!!?? 

Andrew1838
Level 1
Denver, CO

Basically Arvada doesn’t allow STR of less than 30 days unless zoning is for “hotels” so residential zoning doesn’t allow for it. City just voted to implement restrictions and formally allow it but they gridlocked, and changed nothing. Correct if your neighbor complains you’ll be hearing from the city code enforcer.  He was great to work with but our neighbor turned us in and affected our finances significantly.  See attached link for summary.  
https://arvadapress.com/stories/council-deadlocks-on-short-term-rental-decision,288826?