Hosting in Chennai

Nisha8
Level 1
Little Rock, AR

Hosting in Chennai

Hi, I was looking to host a couple of bedrooms of my vacation home in Chennai, but I wasn't sure about the policies in India.  Can anyone give me advice on where to start?  I'm not a resident of India, so I'm a little lost on what regulations I might need to take into consideration.

5 Replies 5
Vivekananth0
Level 1
Chennai, India

I would like to gain information on this topic too. Will keep you posted as I gain information.

Jayshree-G0
Level 2
Chennai, India

Nominate someone in Chennai to handle it - and that someone should have a local bank account, connected with your listing in Chennai. If you have an OCI card, you could hold your bank account jointly with the person you nominate; you could do that even if you are technically a foreign national, but there may be more documentation involved.

Other than the above, you should probably aquaint yourself with the prevalent GST rates that are charged for accommodation provided - while the per night rate for the accommodation can be fixed by you, the GST rate percentage goes up the higher your accommodation rate goes up. This is automatically tracked and paid for by Airbnb, as of today.

Do we have any process to list my property in airbnb other than bank a/c like noc from police station, local bodies, etc.,? I'm a localite live in chennai. your advice is highly appreciated!!

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Whe we rented a holiday apartment from the owner in India (not via Airbnb) they had to notify the local police (with copies of our passports) - I imagine you would have to do the same.

hi friends even i am starting fresh with airbnb hosting for 1 bedroom.................. i have with me best advocates already but before legal procedures i want to know if anyone already successfully hosting in chennai in a gated society. Let me know ..if there is a case needs to be filed also we can all join together and file a case which will be easy for us to get the required approvals. Is there any Airbnb super host in Chennai or any air bnb legal team here ? please let me know .. As far as i have read in the airbnb community below are needed

1. Register for guest entry and exit times 

2. Form C for foreigners 

3. NOC from association or society [which will be a dispute always]