Hosting in Chile

Silvia201
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hosting in Chile

Has anyone tips on being a host in Chile? We were hosts in the UK and enjoyed the experience. We are currently considering it but wish to find out more about payout methods for the country or can your payout be received in a different countre? if there are free taxes thresholds like in the UK? All knowledge on the subject is welcome! Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Yamil0
Level 2
Viña del Mar, Chile

I've been hosting in Chile for just over a year and it's been pretty smooth. The great thing is that airbnb can deposit directly to 
Chilean bank account. You can list your prices in dollar or pesos but I recommend pesos considering the recent drop in the USD. If you do list in dollars I have found payouts to be on average about 5-7 clp higher than the local Currency Exchange.

As for taxes that's up to you on how you declare additional personal income.
Cheers

I have a beach home in Santo Domingo that I inherited from my husband ( a Chilean Citizen) when he passed away 2 years ago. I recently went there to do maintenance on the home and prepare it for Airbnb. However, as an American I am unable to set up a bank account in Chile. So, how would I proceed ? Thanks. So far I just have listed with local agents for January and February and it’s only been reserved for the last two weeks of February, drats!!!!

Hi Kathy,

You can add your US bank account as a payout method. 
Also, you can set up a co-host to receive a percentage of your payouts (useful if you pay a commission to a local agent). 
So, you can receive your share to your account in the US and the agents to their accounts in Chile. When setting up a payout to a Chilean account you will need their acct. info and some personal information, such as birthdate. 

More info: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/365/how-do-i-use-paypal-to-receive-payouts

Good luck!

OMG! This is a great first step towards getting this lined up. Thank you so much for your response. I think I need to go back to Chile soon and work out the details!!! A bit overwhelming.... but, I rented a stick shift in Chile ( a first) and made it to the beach last month... proving anything is possible. (:

lol. If you made it through the hills with a stick, then you'll be fine. 

Regarding the bills, I recommend asking your brother in law if they can just be under his name (since every utility requires a RUT #) and you can handle the payments online. That way you don't impose too much. I pay all my bills online down here and they can be paid with a local acct or a credit card. There is a small fee to use an international card on most of the sites, but it's not that bad, I think about 3-4%.

If you ever have issues with the functionality of a local site (in Chile), you may want to install a VPN. This allows you to connect as if you were in Chile. I sometimes have to use one to get access to some sites in the US. Or to get more options on Netflix 😉

Eduardo412
Level 1
Llico, Chile

Good,i am starting as Anfitrión in Chile,it seem a great aventure

Marco3150
Level 2
Armação dos Búzios, Brazil

Hello, Eduardo412! Are you brasillian citizen like me? 

I'm from Armação dos Búzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I've a litle

inn here.

Hola tengo un departamento en Viña y necesito que alguien me lo gestione ya que yo soy de Santiago, la idea es que lo entregue, reciba y se encargue del aseo

Hola Alfredo, 
Recien veo tu publicacion. 
Aun buscas alguien que te ayude? 
Yo vivo en Viña y administro varios departamentos desde hace 3 años.

Saludos,
Yamil

Deberias partir con cerraduras digitales para partir, ahorra mucho el lio de la entrega de llaves.

Te puedi recomendar alguien que haga el aseo.

Kathy483
Level 2
Austin, MN

How is the market for Airbnb in Chile ? Is it well received or will it attract primarily international guests? I recently inherited a beach house in Santo Domingo ( I am a US citizen, my husband who passed was a Chilean citizen ). I recently went there to see to home maintenance and prep if for Airbnb, but am unsure how to proceed. I have someone who could meet guests and clean the home ,  but she only speaks Spanish (& I am in the states with limited Spanish speaking skills). Also, I can not legally own a bank account there. My brother-in-law is seeing to electric, etc... but it is an imposition as he is very busy. Where do I go from here ?!?? Thanks !!!!!!!!

The market varies quite a bit, especially for summer destinations such as Santo Domingo. Jan and Feb are great, but the rest of the year can be spotty. There is definitely a significant drop in demand, and therefore, prices in the low season. 
You should find a local agent that can handle the administration of your property (overseeing cleaning service, checkins and checkouts). Generally, a 10% commission is requested, but they may ask for more if they need to handle paying the bills and more responsibilities. 

Good luck!

Kathy483
Level 2
Austin, MN

Thank you everyone for your kind and helpful replies. With the new president - should I be concerned owning a home in Chile as a US Citizen? I’ve heard conflicting opinions. Also, I’ve noticed sooooo many airbnbs popping up in Santo Domingo - is there too much competition to make it profitable ?