Hosting in Gainesville, Florida

Micheal13
Level 2
Woodbridge, VA

Hosting in Gainesville, Florida

I am hoping to connect with someone who hosts in Gainesville, Florida to ask some questions about becoming a host.

10 Replies 10
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Micheal13 Hello, sorry I'm from Pensacola not Gainsville, but Florida. Welcome, happy hosting, you  have found the perfect place to ask for help. Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Micheal13 I was looking to PM you with a message but don't see the option - cause you aren't a host yet.   You can message me here using @ my name and ask your questions - Florida does have some tight regulations in different counties/cities and so the more you know the better. I'm the Pensacola Airbnb Host Club leader - so if you go on FB and ask to join that group (I can let you in that group) you will also find some cool stuff and also, maybe others that know Gainsville folks.....happy hosting, Clara

@Clara116 Good morning.  Thank you for taking the time to respond.  We actually live in Florida.  I need to update my profile information.  The main thing my wife and I are trying to figure out is 1) how to get a reasonably accurate estimate of the average number of days/month we can expect to book; and 2) what is a reasonable estimate for the average nightly rate we can expect factoring in the "high/low seasons".  I am working on a spreadsheet with estimates and assumptions and I just want to make sure the assumptions are reasonable.  Does that make sense?

Not sure if you are familiar, but Gainesville is a college town.  Between football season (and to a lesser extent some of the other sports), graduation, visiting faculty and staff, arts festivals, a medieval faire, etc. I thought we would be in pretty good shape in terms of occupancy.  At the same time, it appears the number of Airbnbs in our area is increasing and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what people are charging at times.

Any information guidance you can provide would be helpful.

Very Respectfully,

Micheal

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Micheal13 Hello, yes you are right it often is hard to figure out why people have the prices they do.

What I have learned to do is do a search with the same stuff I offer - so that you see real similiar places and get an average and then just do a search in your area and get an average price and go inbetween those and find the sweet spot for your place at least in the beginning. 

Hope this is somehow helpful. Blessings, Clara

Beth192
Level 2
Gainesville, FL

Hi.  I’m a host in the Gainesville FL area.  Archer, actually.  I’ve been pleased with my occupancy rate.  About 45% for an average for the first year.  I charge $225 per night except on special weekends.  

My house will sleep 12 in beds and 2 more on couches.  

In my first year, my house has paid all its own expenses with a bit left over for us.  One caveat.  We do not have a mortgage to pay.  I’ve thought about getting a second property, but with a mortgage, I don’t know how it would pencil out.  

But- it’s been a super experience for me, and I plan to continue indefinitely.  

Cheers

Beth, I cannot find anything on local regulations or taxes, though there are articles about trying to put things in place. I'm looking to rent my guest room.

Hi @Beth192. Perhaps you could help me. 

I am currently working on listing my Gainesville home (it will be my first listing) but it has been impossible to find straightforward guidance about the different Gainesville/Alachua requirements as they relate to licensing, fees, etc. Are there any resources you're aware of that you can recommend?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Hi Marlon, I'm looking into the rules for short-term rentals in the area, too. I don't believe that Airbnb or any of the other online rental platforms can collect and remit the 5% tax owed to Alachua county, that would be your responsibility.  Here is the link to Alachua county with details on how to register your short-term vacation home. Tourist Development – Alachua County Tax Collector (alachuacollector.com)  If the link is blocked out, just Goog le Alachua Tourist Tax and look for the link to the alachuacollector 

Hey Marlon, 

I own a STR cleaning and service business in Gainesville and would love to speak with you about your property if you are looking for any help with cleaning, basic maintenance, linen rentals, and more. Our small business is growing in Gainesville and we would love to work with you. 
@Marlon90 

Hi @Beth219  I just stumbled on this thread and am curious as to whether you are still operating your vacation rental or whether Covid has been an issue. I'm looking to purchase a property in the area, but since we aren't quite ready to make the big move up there, thought maybe I could rent it out for at least 4 months out of the year.