Hosting in Japan as a Foreigner

Hosting in Japan as a Foreigner

Hello:  I'm new to this so please bear with me if I sound like a broken record or if this has been discussed in other posts.

I recently just purchased a property in Sapporo, Hokkaido (Japan).  I'm a US citizen, and the property we will use it as a summer and winter home for ourselves, rest of the time we would love to rent it out to cover costs of ownership.  So now, here's the tricky part.

We learned that there is a new Minpaku (Home Hosting) Law taking effect on June 15, 2018.  So, doing AirBnB maybe a bit tricky as it requires registration with the government and so on.

My question is, exactly what needs to be done?  If we really want to do this?  Does anyone have any clear answers?  I've been Googling online and can't seem to find definite answers to this topic.

Many thanks in advance,

Jay 

2 Replies 2
Robbie37
Level 2
Richmond, Australia

Best to get a property lawyer to do the docs for you.

Boo1
Level 3
Okayama, Japan

There are many rules one of them you have to live there to support guest. 

If if you can find the way to prove somebody live there to take care of it. 

You have fo visit Minpaku office to get information, lots of little things to set up. 

One thing that I know it take time is setting up smoke detector at your place. Can’t get from home center. Company have to come and do with Documents( that is my case, don’t know if every where is the same)