Hosting in another city you don't live in

Sharyn-and-Colin0
Level 3
Yarram, Australia

Hosting in another city you don't live in

Hi everyone!

Was wondering if anyone can help. I have an appartment in another state from where I live and it's quiet a long flight from my state,  Australia being such a big country. Does anyone have any tips that they would like to share if they have any successful experiences in doing this or is it just way to hard to host properly if your property is not close by. Any little bit of information would greatly be appreciated.

14 Replies 14
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Sharyn-and-Colin0 Hi Sharon, I've been hosting a couple of holiday houses for a couple of years a 3 hour drive from where I live. I have found the key to happy and stress free hosting is the following:

1. Get friendly with your neighbours as they will help keep an eye on the place and let you know if there are any issues you need to be aware of in your absence.

2. Get a good cleaner (and a back up one is helpful), handyman, electrician and plumber that you can call on in an emergency or just for general maintenance. These have proved invaluable when the unexpected happens (hot water not working; sink leaking; electric faults; all sorts of things you wouldn't think of!)

3. Be organised with your bookings and communication. Send plenty of details on access and how to contact you - give alternate numbers in case you are unavailable.

4. Make sure you are happy with the guests - I am very cautious over accepting bookings from groups of young people and take a great deal of note of how they write their requests. Polite, considerate and aware that I could be concerned usually gets a thumbs up. So far it has worked well.

Thank you so much Gillian for your advise. Unfortunatley I don't live close enough to get to know the neighbours, it's a 8 hour flight from where I live. However your tips are fantastic. Are you on istant book or request to book?

@Sharron5 Would be worth a trip at some point to meet them!! I don't do instant book - mainly because I allow same day bookings (and actually get more of those than I would have thought - amazing how many people don't pre-plan trips away!), so need to ensure that the property has been cleaned after the last guests left as my cleaner doesn't always do the clean immediately guests vacate. Also in peak season she may not be able to fit in a last minute clean (especially when it's a back to back) so I need to maintain some control over the next guests. I am pretty good on responding though and unless I'm asleep would usually get back to someone within 30 minutes. It doesn't seem to have impacted on number of bookings - I have been more than happy with the volumes I get.

I'm actually not surprised by the amount of last minute bookings. I for one hate preplanning, unless I'm going for a very specific reason. It takes the adventure out of it. When vacationing, I much prefer to just drive unil I feel like stopping. 

Steve
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Sharyn-and-Colin0  The best answer for you is to send a request THROUGH AIRBNB for a Co-host in that area!  I am a Co-Host for seveeral people and one of the listings is in Australia and I live in Hawaii.  I also Co-Host for local hosts in Honolulu too.

This is one of the best features that ABB added this year and everyone has great results, both the hosts and the guests.  Yes, you will have to pay them, but isn't that worth not having to worry about all that stuff.  You can even choose a Co-host who is an actual Superhost in that area.    Go to your ABB account and fill out the request form.  

The funny thing is, I am living in Hawaii, but I do all the communciation as a co-host for the Australia host, because she hates computers, doesn't know how to use any technology but she is a fabulous cook and host.  I handle everything with her regarding messages, listing details, reviews and I get paid 15% of all bookings.  Its so worth it to her.

The other hosts, my responsibilities are much more and require my assistance at their listings.  Which is why I get paid 30%.  Each hosts negotiates what they want to pay...and the co-host can also send their own proposals on what they want to be paid for what list of things they will do for each listings.

If this is helpful to you, you can always click on the thumbs up icon at the bottom of my reply.  Thank you.

Stay in touch and let us know if you are able to find a great Co-Host.  🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0, I'm a cohost in Baltimore, Maryland and own a few of my own properties. Currently running 11 properties downtown here. Do you use any owner or property management software to help with your business? I'm looking to implement something here soon as managing 11 seperate listings is becoming nearly impossible with all of my turnover. Would enjoy a further conversation with you to share ideas and see what has been working for you. 

Regards,

Matt

@Cozi-Vacation-Rentals0

Hi Matt,

This is gonna make you laugh but the software I use is call...."Momi's Brain!"  

along with ------> 2 Iphones, 2 Ipads, One Mac Laptop and One Desk Top Mac Computer help too all at the same time

and yes, everyone in my life keeps asking how do I do it!!  (Plus I host in my own home too and cook breakfast!) 

I have a Social Media follower who owns many condos in Vegas & CA, so I will ask him what he does to keep it all organized but I prefer to do it the old fashion way because I don't want to rely on apps or software to make things run smoothly....its all done by me.  That way I can ensure its done correctly and mistakes won't be made. 

I will admit that one time, I sent a message to a guests talking about the wrong listing but caught the mistake within seconds so the guests got another message immediately after saying....oops...ignore the first message about Hawaii. I was drinking.  HAHA. Just kidding, was just moving a bit too fast when I replied back!" 

They wrote back saying "Whew because we thought we were going to Australia instead of Hawaii but we would like to come visit you too one day. "   

I will send you a DM through the CC about what I hear from my pal Dave on how he manages his 50 units. 

Thanks for reaching out to me.  Good to hear from you 🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Hi 

@Momi0 

Thank you for your posting. I have a question. Do what do co-host actually do? 

I actually would love to have a conversation with you. Not sure if we can get in tough through email? Thanks 

With the level you're at, I think you're better off implementing a custom solution rather than getting attached to a one-stop shop product that could change direction on you at any given time. I have more suggestions, pending what your needs might be specifically. Reach out if you want to elaborate. 

Great job on your listings!

@Momi0  Hi ! I just came across this comment and was actually thinking of doing my first airbnb in honolulu hawaii but I live in new york and was definitely looking at the co-host option. Not sure if you are able to message or email me so that I can know more about how it works. Thanks ! 

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

The best advice is to find a good co-host, and a backup co-host, preferably someone you know and trust. My girlfriend took a job out of town for a year, and is listing her place while she's gone. A mutual friend is co-hosting her place (she needs the money, and lives closer than I do), and I fill in when her schedule conflicts with Airbnb. So far it's working out beautifully. 

Steve
Sandra924
Level 3
Maryland, United States

I think there are some great answers in this thread. For those who are wondering how to get it all started, having the team ready at the same time the listing is being drafted would be a good idea. Every situation is unique, depending upon how far or close the property is, I imagine.

Local/remote Co-hosts are a great resource in times like this, which I'm sure many can be found through meetups and through the Airbnb community as a whole.

Beverly129
Level 1
Danbury, NH

We live in New Hampshire and own a home in Maine, about a 7 hour drive away. I like the idea of a co host but also wondered if a property manager would work as well. Mostly we would need someone to supply the key and clean after hosting. Has anyone used a property management company?

Hi Beverly!

I have been co-hosting  a few properties in Boston and on Cape Cod for the past 2 years. I'm great with communication and because of my flexible schedule (Im also a yoga teacher!) I can be available to respond to guest inquires as needed. Im looking to expand my hosting experience to virtaul or remote co-hosting. If you know some people in Maine (cleaners, handypeople, electricians ect) then I can help build a team for your property, and even if you dont know people I can do the ground work to find reliable services!  If you are still looking for a co-host please feel free to reach out to me and we can chat further. 8573124040 or host@nomadikbynature.com

Thanks!

Keva