Hosting issue

Tracy210
Level 4
Atlantic Beach, FL

Hosting issue

We have had a long term guest for 60+ days with 30 days remaining. We’ve had numerous conversations with him about cleaning up after himself when using the kitchen—we allow kitchen use. He constantly leaves food on the counters and in the sink.  He doesn’t wash his dishes and he doesn’t put them away.  I gave him a written notice today that if he could not comply with the house rules of cleaning up after himself, we would have to ask him to refrain from using the kitchen. He argued and said the food wasn’t his—my husband and I do not cook nor eat at home, so it’s not really up for debate as to who is leaving the messes.  

This tenant has also told me that he believes he is a guest and should not have to clean up after himself.  He also believes that it is my responsibility to provide laundry soap, dish soap, and various other consumables because it’s a “B and B”

Well today, after he received the written notice and argued with me that he’s not the one leaving messes, he called Airbnb, asking for a refund of 1/2 of the cost of his last months stay.  Customer service called me and said she agreed with me that he is being unreasonable and that he needs to clean up after himself. She said she would deny the request for a refund—and call me back. 8 hours have gone by and no one has called. I’ve called customer service and got no where.  I did just receive a message saying that they would be in contact but nothing else—which has me worried!

The guy doesn’t want to move out—he just wants to stay here for what amounts to $16 a night, and not follow our house rules.  He said that I never specifically told him that he should clean up after himself and then contradicts himself that he messes being left aren't his anyway, so it shouldn’t matter.

We are at our wits end with him. Other house rules he has broken—he has taken our dogs out of the kennel and walked them when we weren’t home-at least three times—even though it’s explicitly in our house rules to leave them alone.  He demanded we fix the dryer immediately when it broke because he “is entitled to laundry facilities for free” (it was fixed within 3 days-but he was openly furious and demanding that it be done sooner and he actually used the dryer while broken causing even further damage. ).

we allowed him space in the garage to store his bicycle—as a courtesy.

he overfed the turtles and caused a massive clogging of the turtle tank that resulted in having to replace the filter system and do a major water change after five days. (He fed them an entire container of food in five days).

he insisted on having an antenna put on the television because we don’t have cable—clearly stated in the listing—which resulted in us having to take the tv off the wall and install the antenna and rehang the tv. 

This is just a partial list of what we have done to accommodate him. 

Ive never met such a demanding and unappreciative person in my entire life. I’m a psychologist by trade and my husband is a paramedic. We are by nature, patient and giving. Will Airbnb give him $500 refund and allow him to stay here another month? 

62 Replies 62

How do I cancel the reservation without it being a host cancellation?

@Tracy210  You don't AirBnB has to do it from their end and for some reason they are dragging their feet. I would actually call them again and ask why they have not cancelled the reservation already penalty free, what's to discuss with this guest other than we have cancelled the reservation you are no longer a guest at the home. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Tracy210 Oh that mail thing is NOT GOOD........him having mail sent there in his name......and without you saying OK. You might have a big problem. I would get the mail - Don't let him receive any more......!!!! This is legal to do this - as long as you don't read/open or mess with it - JUST mark through address -  and send it back.  Don't block off the info so it can't be read just a line diagnoally thru it and write  in big bold letters.......ADDRESSE DOES NOT RESIDE HERE and send it back. Sounds like he has a plan to stay free and really mess up your world. 

I am so sorry you have this jerk to deal with............and I apologize if we sounded strong and judgemental its just some of us are strong personalities and we hate to see anyone get taken advantage of and so our tolerance goes down sometimes dealing and seeing jerks pull there scams.

Hope this gets straight soon and you are free.  happy hosting, clara

It’s getting worse! After reading posts last night and realizing I’ve been way too nice for too long—and like I said—most of this cultivated in the last two weeks. Most of the annoying stuff we just overlooked, trying to be gracious and recognizing that everybody is different, blah blah blah.

After putting it all in writing and going holy s***, we’ve been too nice, I contacted Airbnb, asking them to remove him. I’ve contacted them three more times to follow up. They have yet to return a call. Although they did message me stating my claim was closed. ?!?!?!

im in a holding pattern until I hear back from them. The tenenat has been gone all day—not sure if working or avoiding. Either way, I have asked Airbnb to remove him today but it’s already 5 pm here. 

@Tracy210  You need to contact AirBnB again and ask what they mean by the case is closed. Have they rehoused him? You need the details to know how proceed. If he is no longer a guest you need to know that. 

@Tracy210  Good luck with this. We really weren't trying to be harsh with you, it's just that it angers hosts to read about how other hosts are pushed around by nasty guests, and upsets us when newer hosts seem to think they have to put up with it, because we can relate to the same thing possibly happening to us.

Keep insisting that Airbnb deal with this until you get a satisfactory result.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Tracy210 Keep calling Airbnb and speak to a supervisor.

Did you put it all in writing and message him on the ABB app so there is a clear record of him and his behavior.

If you have any discussions with him - try and record it - video tape is the best - ABB loves evidence. Esp. if he is being pushy, bossy, rude and such. 

Curious if he had any reviews before you? Don't worry it will all work out.

It will not always be like it is today. I'm hopeful it changes today or tomorrow for you.

If they will not get him out and have washed their hands and if he plans to stay against your wishes - I'd get police to ask him to leave. Remember when talking to ABB stay calm, direct and be nice - it's a drag but they have the controls at the moment. I would have them deal with the guest - I wouldn't unless it is impossible to avoid. keep us posted. We are here for you...................Tracy

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Tracy210Sorry you are going through this but he needs to be OUT. Immediately! As Mark said, once my pets were involved, that would definitely be it for me.

Hosts should be accommodating, but disrespect of our rules, our home, and especially our family/pets should not be tolerated.

Don't worry about the review. Bad reviews from guests like this guy reflect more poorly on the guest, than the host. People will see through the crazy. 🙂

Keep us posted. I hope you get this resolved quickly!

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Are you past 30 days?

If not,  change the locks, return the mail,  get him out.  

If you're past 30 days,  you've let him establish a tenancy,  and that's a serious problem.  I'd still get him out,  and risk the legal nightmare that can ensue.

Never,  never,  never allow a guest to stay for 30 days and establish a tenancy.  Never.

@Kenneth12  Yes today I believe he's at 31 days, he booked for 60 days. Per Clara who is also in Florida she says tenancy starts at 14 days that's why she only rents for only 13 days at a time. @Tracy210's guest has hit 4 of the 5 below. He pays rent, he is getting mail there, spends every night there and has demand she fix her dryer immediately when it broke. I don't know if he's moved in even a small table or a chair or something like that, but to me imho under Florida law she now has a tenant not a guest. Unless AirBnB can rehouse him ASAP and he agrees to leave otherwise she's going to have to evict him. The trancient law effective July 1, 2015, Florida has a new legal remedy to remove  a transient occupant from residential property, but this won't work for her because of the mail being delivered to him there and he's currently paying rent.

The mail is the biggest issue to stop ASAP for any host as this in itself can be used to prove residency in almost all states. First off ANY mail or packages you get do not give it to any guest. Period. Mark on the front: 'Not known at this address, return to sender. I use a black sharpie, but make sure you cross out your address and leave the name only. Drop them in a postbox. If it's FedX or UPS I refuse delivery if I'm around otherwise I drop them off at a Kinko's or UPS store next time I am out and about and also have them labeled Not known at this address, return to sender with my address crossed out. 

Warning signs that a guest has become a tenant:

• Guests who pay rent
  • Guests are receiving mail at the property
  • Guests that spend every night at the property
  • Guests that have moved-in furniture or pets
  • Guests that make maintenance requests

I looked briefly at FL's URLTA and saw nothing that indicated that the standard differed from the normal 30 days.  Local legislation and practice may (any likely will) vary.

From a legal perspective (I am not offering anyone legal advice),  

* I don't know what "guests who pay rent" means.  But certainly,  a direct payment to you looks more like a tenant,  to the average rookie on the street, than a payment to ABB
* As at a hotel,  any mail (if any) should be c/o,  "care of"
* Shouldn't a guest spend every night on the property during their stay?
* furniture seems a little odd,  but it's chattel property just like their clothes.  (It's all how it looks to a police cadet during a difficult situation,  though)
* If your washer is broken,  you don't expect an ABB guest to point it out / want it fixed 🙂 ?

@Kenneth12  That was not my warning it was on the new trancient law page I found. It's some of the items that disqualify you from the law. I also did not find anything about 14 days Clara mentioned only the 30 days. 

I don’t know what he knows but he did say to me that he is a guest and for me to be glad that he is a guest because if he were a tenant he would have more rights than he does. So he doesn’t believe or know that he has any rights at this point.  Of course he also said this as he was threatening me with a lawsuit and telling me how I’ve abused him by asking him to clean up after himself.  I’m about to call Airbnb again for the 5th time in 36 hours.

@Tracy210  It's 8:00 AM I would be on the phone also. Good luck. 

On hold right now! Of course my case manager is not in yet. But the little man that answered is looking for another person for me to speak with. Meanwhile, this squatter/**bleep**/titty baby is off on a bike ride without a care in the world.