Hosting issue

Tracy210
Level 4
Atlantic Beach, FL

Hosting issue

We have had a long term guest for 60+ days with 30 days remaining. We’ve had numerous conversations with him about cleaning up after himself when using the kitchen—we allow kitchen use. He constantly leaves food on the counters and in the sink.  He doesn’t wash his dishes and he doesn’t put them away.  I gave him a written notice today that if he could not comply with the house rules of cleaning up after himself, we would have to ask him to refrain from using the kitchen. He argued and said the food wasn’t his—my husband and I do not cook nor eat at home, so it’s not really up for debate as to who is leaving the messes.  

This tenant has also told me that he believes he is a guest and should not have to clean up after himself.  He also believes that it is my responsibility to provide laundry soap, dish soap, and various other consumables because it’s a “B and B”

Well today, after he received the written notice and argued with me that he’s not the one leaving messes, he called Airbnb, asking for a refund of 1/2 of the cost of his last months stay.  Customer service called me and said she agreed with me that he is being unreasonable and that he needs to clean up after himself. She said she would deny the request for a refund—and call me back. 8 hours have gone by and no one has called. I’ve called customer service and got no where.  I did just receive a message saying that they would be in contact but nothing else—which has me worried!

The guy doesn’t want to move out—he just wants to stay here for what amounts to $16 a night, and not follow our house rules.  He said that I never specifically told him that he should clean up after himself and then contradicts himself that he messes being left aren't his anyway, so it shouldn’t matter.

We are at our wits end with him. Other house rules he has broken—he has taken our dogs out of the kennel and walked them when we weren’t home-at least three times—even though it’s explicitly in our house rules to leave them alone.  He demanded we fix the dryer immediately when it broke because he “is entitled to laundry facilities for free” (it was fixed within 3 days-but he was openly furious and demanding that it be done sooner and he actually used the dryer while broken causing even further damage. ).

we allowed him space in the garage to store his bicycle—as a courtesy.

he overfed the turtles and caused a massive clogging of the turtle tank that resulted in having to replace the filter system and do a major water change after five days. (He fed them an entire container of food in five days).

he insisted on having an antenna put on the television because we don’t have cable—clearly stated in the listing—which resulted in us having to take the tv off the wall and install the antenna and rehang the tv. 

This is just a partial list of what we have done to accommodate him. 

Ive never met such a demanding and unappreciative person in my entire life. I’m a psychologist by trade and my husband is a paramedic. We are by nature, patient and giving. Will Airbnb give him $500 refund and allow him to stay here another month? 

62 Replies 62

@Tracy210  As soon as he goes out change the locks immediately, box up his stuff and leave it on the front porch with a sign that has his name on it. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Tracy210  Have you gotten this guy out yet?!

I was on the phone with Airbnb another hour this morning.

The only way to get him out is to agree to a refund of the unused nights.  They haven’t officially altered the reservation as of yet. 

at This point, he wins, I don’t care. I want him out. We have changed the locks and at whatever point he returns, he can collect his belongings and leave.