Hosting multiple listings

Carolyn16
Level 3
Groveland, CA

Hosting multiple listings

Hernandez_Tomas copy.jpgI am an agent for 1 individual, but I have other properties I would like to add. My problem is that when I log into Airbnb with my email it automatically takes me to the current host. She does not want to have multiple listing showing up under her name-even though the clients would never see the master list.

How do I host these multiple listings under my name and email while providing individual specifics for each home and owner as they each have their own specific payouts (their personal checking accounts)

Appreciate any help

Tomas H

12 Replies 12
Shadley0
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Carolyn16

You would just need to load each property as a separate listing.  That way you can route the proceeds from each listing to a separate payout method.

Hi Shadley, thank you for this useful tip. Can you please let me know if routing the proceeds from each listing to a separate payout method can be done *after* listing the new/additional properties? I have added a new listing and am about to FINISH, but until now I haven't had to enter anything regarding payout method. Last but not least, I am of course inside my existing HOST account where I have another listing... thanks!!

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you’re currently managing Carolyn’s property through Airbnb but would like to start managing properties belonging to other owners through Airbnb as well...

I’m pretty sure that you can only have one account per email (and one email per account) and based on your avatar, it looks like you’re using your own email to log on to Carolyn’s account so, as far as Airbnb users know, you ARE Carolyn and any positive (or negative) feedback that you are earning is being credited to Carolyn. Depending on whether you’re managing Carolyn’s property outright or just stepping in now and then to help her out, this may or may not be what you both want.

In any case, if the other listings do not belong to Carolyn, they should not be listed on her account and her account rating should not be subjected to the (good or bad) ratings intended for the other properties. If I were Carolyn, I also would be concerned about dealing with taxes when income from the other properties started showing up under my account.

It might be easier as far as payouts go to have separate accounts for each listing, but if your goal is to grow your property management business, your best bet would be to set up your own account with your own profile and move all of the properties you manage under that account and deal with the payouts outside of Airbnb. That way, not only will you build your reputation as a property manager but it will make your life so much easier when you start having to manage multiple listings/calendars. (Speaking from personal experience, the amount of attention and coordination needed to keep on top of things increases exponentially when you go from managing one to just three properties - and that's with them all listed under the same account, so it would be a complete nightmare if you had to log off of one account and then log on another separate account for each client.)  As far as payments go, professional property managers in my area generally handle finances outside of Airbnb for their clients - the payments from Airbnb initially go into the brokers account and then clients are provided a monthly payout along with a complete accounting of all activity for the month.  This takes a little extra work on the back end but allows you to manage everything under one account - plus gives you the option to collect your management fee off the top instead of waiting for your clients to pay you. 

This is very good advice, except it is a very good idea to maintain a separate accountfor each listing. I have 5 properties listed on Airbnb. I use myself as the account holder.

I keep a bank account for each client that payments are routed into. These accounts are not exclusive holding accounts for Airbnb, but encompass all funds for ewach client. The clients tax #'s are listed for each property, and they individually receive any tax forms at the end of the year. For 99% of all transactions this works very well, and Airbnb has been lovely. There are instances where Airbnbs accounting methods are less than lovely. If you are giving a credit to a guest, you will want to give that to them outside the platform, or risk that adjustment being made to the wrong account, because Airbnb will take the adjustment on the next payment made, regardless of the property and the account.

How do I ensure that each of the clients receive their tax forms for that property at the end of the year? I do not see a way to add that.  I have found out how to have a different bank account connected to a specific account. 

Hi Heather, thank you for this useful tip. Can you please let me know if routing the proceeds from each listing to a separate payout method can be done *after* listing the new/additional properties? I have added a new listing and am about to FINISH, but until now I haven't had to enter anything regarding payout method. Last but not least, I am of course inside my existing HOST account where I have another listing... thanks!!

Hi Heather,

Hey, how did you link your individual clients' tax # to their own Airbnb listing? I have two listings, and can get their payouts paid properly, but dont know how to separate their tax#s. 

thx,

Rebecca

I'm a little fastidious about banking. Each of my clients properties have their own bank account under my business. It seems like more to keep track of, but it actually saves me a great deal of time keeping them completely separate. When you assign a bank account to each property, it gives you the opportunity to assign a separate tax payer to each account as well.

I don't ever want there to be a question of mixing funds, etc. If I make an accounting error it is very easily found this way as well.

When you say, " it is a very good idea to maintain a separate accountfor each listing," do you mean that you set up different AirBnB accounts for each of your clients. Therefore, when checking on each of the properties you have to login/logout? 

Also, when you say, "I keep a bank account for each client that payments are routed into," do you mean you set up different checking accounts at your bank in the clients names and with their tax #'s? The bank and irs trust this process and directly send the client the tax forms at the end of the year?

Thanks!

Mark  

Mark, I just saw this, so sorry for the delay responding.

I'm not talking about the clients Airbnb account. I have one Airbnb account, as allowed. I have a different bank account for each client.

The bank accounts are in my name, with the client as a trust holder. If I die or become incapacitated, they will be able to access the account. I hate paying bank fees I don't have to, so I do not set up business accounts that would require tax #'s.

I receive payments in the bank holding accounts, and at the end of the month disburse the amounts for that months reservations to the clients, cleaner, and my commission. Occassionally I use those funds for maintenance and repairs, but until the guest arrives, those funds don't belong to me or the client. For all but one of the accounts, taxes are disbursed back to the clients and they file pay their own taxes. I have one account where we are set up with Avalara to file taxes for the client, and they pay the taxes out of the account after we report the amounts. So yes, the IRS and the state allow the client to manage payment of their taxes, just like they would for any other business.

I've never understood why Airbnb thinks they need to intervene for the property owner and pay taxes for them. Hawaii does not allow that.

This question is probably misguided. I am a locksmith in NYC. My specialty is electronic keypad locks. Is there any way to make my services available to my local community?