Hosting - noise from flat above

Jess76
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hosting - noise from flat above

Hi there,

I'm new to hosting and have just received my first booking 🙂 

I live in a nice, pretty Victorian ground floor conversion in London and it's lovely apart from the sound of people walking around in the flat above.  The people up there aren't doing anything noisy, it's just poor sound-proofing in an old building.  I have specified the potential for this noise in my listing.  I also mentioned it twice to my first guest before she booked, and she didn't seem to be bothered by it, as she then made the booking. 

However, the noise potential from the flat above always makes me nervous, as some guests really may be bothered by it and then leave negative reviews, ask for money off etc.  It's otherwise a lovely flat.  Has anyone else got a property that has poor sound-proofing?  And how do you deal with this with guests?  I plan to be upfront and honest about it before people book, so they know what to expect.  Has anyone had any complaints from guests about floorboard noise before?

Thanks, and all advice and experience greatly received!

Jess

9 Replies 9
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jess76

Difficult Jess, how well do you get on with the neighbours above? Is it possible  you could have a word with them and see if they can control the foot noise a bit! Perhaps put in a floor rug or two in the main traffic areas

You are right, it is going to be an issue, not too many guests are going to be comfortable, particularly if there are young kids involved upstairs! They seem to create 5 times as much noise as adults.

You have to be really upfront about it, much like owning a dog....you need to be sure potential guests are aware of the situation because they will want to cancel and get a refund if it is sprung on them!

I am sorry I can't offer any concrete suggestions short of creating more of an insulated barrier, and that may not be practical. There is a 12mm sound absorbing foam on the market here in Australia which I am sure would be available in the UK. It is designed for sound recording studios and it may be possible to install that to the underside of the guest bedroom ceiling. With battening and painting you could end up with a reasonable textured finish that would not be unpleasant to look at.

My listing is at the other end of the scale! The building being tripple skinned and with two layers of ceiling and insulation, one guest said it is so quiet in the cottage he could hear his heartbeat. When I asked he assured me he wasn't having a heart attack!!

Sorry I can't be of much more help Jess....best of luck with it!

Cheers.....Rob 

Jess76
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your suggestions, Rob!  Luckily no kids above - that really would make it difficult.  Just unfortunate that old buildings don't have the sound insulation that newer ones do. 

I'll definitely look up that sound-absorbing foam - could be an option going forward. 

Your place sounds awesome - I love quietness! 🙂 

Our apartment is an historic building with creaky floors. No one has complained so far. I wouldn't worry. Not much you can do. I don't think it's fair to ask neighbors to install a rug now when it hasn't been an issue before - unless you offer to pay for the rug.

I would caution that move. Some municipalities here in the states are requiring residents to have permission of all adjacent neighbors to continue operating.

As long as you put the information in your Airbnb "ad"/profile of the home, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Christine, that's reassuring to know re. your apartment. 

I'm going to be really upfront about the noise potential with guests before they book so they're definitely aware 🙂

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It is what it is.

You have done all you can.

Now you have to manage your guests.

Be firm, but very polite. Be proud of your offering.

DON'T suggest that it is anything other than a "nice, pretty Victorian ground floor conversion in London"

in LONDON! People come to London to stay in "nice, pretty Victorian ground floor conversions"

Most people will understand or be too tired to care.

If people complain you may say sorry, but then deflect - "Have you seen our great museums?"

Offer them no discounts, but do let them cancel if they REALLY are bothered

Jess76
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Thank you for the advice, Paul.  It is indeed a really nice place other than that one issue, so I'll definitely make the most of all the positive aspects when communicating with guests.  I feel I've been completely upfront before the guest booked, so hopefully all will go smoothly, and I'll be more confident going forward 🙂

@Jess76

IMO as long as you include the information in the listing description in a way that guests CAN'T miss it (unless they do not read at all) and you double check upon reservation to confirm they are aware of the potential for noise and are okay, then I think it should be fine. But once you have made things clear to the guest...... don't apologize for it and don't put up with complaints about stuff they were pre-informed about 🙂 

As back up, you could consider preparing ear plugs and maybe even a white noise machine. But let's be honest....... even hotels aren't always quiet~ I've stayed at plenty where I could hear people talking as the pass in the hallway or doors closing or muffled sounds thru the walls. 

Thank you for the reassurance - good to know!  And the advice re. earplugs and white noise is really helpful - and something I hadn't yet thought of.  I think I will do this, thanks!  🙂

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I know how it feels - we live upstairs from our unit and have kids and it's an old house. Have multiple layers of drywall which helps.

Some guests will complain about noise, made it clear in listing you will hear noise and during checkin, but people still bring it up in reviews if they are looking to ding you.