Hosting on behalf of my parents - French Tax Information

Jenny1521
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Hosting on behalf of my parents - French Tax Information

My parents own a property in France which they want to start renting out on Airbnb. They are not residents in France, and are up to date on land tax etc.

My question is, if the property is listed under my Airbnb profile, will my details be sent to the French Tax Authorities for income tax purposes? I am not the legal owner of the property and my parents will be the ones receiving payments from Airbnb and therefore paying income tax in France.

Is it possible to host the property on my profile but have my parents registered with Airbnb as the payees/taxpayers? 

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As it's your parents property and they will be paying taxes get them to set themselves up as the main hosts and add yourself as a co-host .

you will pay tax on your profit and them on theirs. 

speak to your accountant re taxes @Jenny1521 

Marina1680
Level 2
Hassocks, United Kingdom

Hello there

We have a similar scenario , and are looking for the best way to make this work for tax reporting.  Did you find a solution? Any advice would be appreciated. 

We own a property with 2 gites in France.  Our daughter is the ‘host’ and is listed as the ‘host’ on Airbnb.  However, as we, as owners’ need to report the income for tax  purposes in France (and UK), can we change the listing to co-host without changing the listing and losing the reviews?  Would Airbnb then report income for tax for  each of us? 

Thank you. 
Marina

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's a shame you set it up in that way . It would have been better to set the listings up under your profile with yourselves as the main host ie owners and your daughter as the cohost . 

you can of course be added to her listing as a cohost but I don't believe that would change the tax position . 

Currently she would be liable for the taxes.

Not sure what commission she charges but I don't know if a workaround is if say you pay her 15% , she adds you as a cohost and she pays you 85%.  In this way you both pay tax on the income you earn.

personally I would always have the listing set up under my own profile so I have access to what's happening with bookings, income, guest comments  etc and as a second pair of hands should anything happen which meant your daughter wasn't able to manage things.