Hosting re guest damages

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Hosting re guest damages

As a host, I read about other host's difficulties with guests destroying their expensive carpets or furnishings, antiques, family heirlooms, etc.

I have a hard time understanding why hosts rent out places with these things in them that they are devastated about when they get wrecked. While we would all certainly hope that guests will be respectful of their surroundings, the fact is that many aren't. Sometimes it's just an accident, sometimes they just live like pigs and have no respect. Sometimes they accept responsibility and make it financially right with the host, sometimes they fight the charge tooth and nail, resulting in frustrating, time-consuming and often unsatisfactorily resolved cases with airbnb.

Of course, as hosts, we want to have our rental unit look as nice as possible, but you can make a place attractive and comfortable without furnishing with expensive, irreplacable gear. If it is your own home, where you normally live, and you are renting out while out-of-town, I'd say to consider stashing the irreplacable/expensive things under lock and key and buy some "guest" stuff. Or don't host.

Please note- I am not talking about not expecting guests to pay for damages beyond normal wear and tear- they definitely should. But I just can't understand hosts being so trusting of strangers as to leave their own really valued stuff around.

31 Replies 31

Actually Huma, we are not in disagreement. I suggested that hosts should not leave precious things around in the guest rooms or if they are renting out their entire home while away. If you are present and living in your home while hosting, of course you wouldn't set up your own home with cheap stuff, you would have your own nice things around, as I do.

But if a host is renting out the entire house, it would be prudent to roll up and store the expensive antique oriental carpet and have an inexpensive-to-replace carpet to roll out, likewise even if host in the home, don't have Grandma's heirloom china set in the kitchen cupboard where guests might assume it is there for daily use.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I let my apartments, the entire space, so my situation is different.
To protect the top of bedside tables, I coverded them with glass. I order the pieces of glass with 5 or 6mm thickness, in the correct size of each bedside. If the bedside does not have right angle, I have it in a approximatelly shape to cover the surface that must be protected.
Like @Huma0, I  usually also leave coasters on the top of each bedside table and other pieces of furniture. Usually my average guests are very civilized. Another thing that I have noticed is that, if the interior is tidy, clean and well organized, it inspire the guests to use everything in a more carefull way. Anyway there are few exceptions.

0-glass-1.jpg

Glass on the top of bedside table and coasters.

0-glass-2.jpg

When this picture was taken, there was not still a piece of glass on the top of the bedside tables.

Now it has, and the piece of fabric you see on the top of the bedside table, is now between the glass and the top of of the bedside table. Usually it works fine.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Jose Renato, I think you are right (sorry can't seem to tag you for some reason) in that guests tend to be more respectful in a clean, tidy and nicely presented place.

Of course, there are exceptions. Some people just don't care. Others are unintentionally careless. That's why I often ask on check in that they use the coasters. Should be obvious if there are coasters on furniture, they are there for you to put your drinks on, but not everyone seems to get this!

The glass sounds like a sensible option and I like how you have the fabric underneath so that it's decorative as well as practical.

HI

I am a brand new host. It is not our home it is a seperate unit. I was disappointed that our very first guests actually broke the hose on the shower ( which was fairly new actually) and did not mention it on checking out.  The second guests broke the push button on the toilet which flushes it. They also did not mention that when they checked out. As a new host it was recommended that you do special offers!!?? so it looks like it costs to have these people rather than earning.

now I have been getting sent emails saying I am charging too much........as other bookings are going to cheaper places..........but when BNB sent me a list of similar places none of them were anywhere near the beach or where you would go for a summer holiday, so I am not sure how to compare. Gaye

@Gaye-and-George0

Ignore the emails, for whatever reason ABB are trying to depress prices. The comparison location they use for me is 80 miles away, only thing cheaper locally is a tent site.

The one thing you most likely to get is a suggestion to increase your prices, in 30 months I have never seen one. Not even at my most busy times.

David

Those messages you get from airbnb re your prices are computer-generated. You can ignore them. Airbnb has no way of comparing accomodations in an area, except to look at the number of guests the space is for, the amenities it offers, and the price. In my case, when I look at my listing, it shows "similar listings in your area", but in fact, I know most of those places (small town) and there is no way they compare to mine- many are dumps, and/or don't offer the same level of host attention that I do.

Same with lowering your price- when I first listed, I decided how much to charge based on making it worth my while to have strangers in my home, spend the time to deal with requests, etc. I never offered a lower price to the first few guests, and started getting bookings almost right away (especially after my very first guest wrote a lovely review).

Yes, it's amazing how guests can manage, in a day or 3, to break things you have had around for years with no problem. Assume a few things might get broken, and set your price with this in consideration, so you aren't having to lodge a compensation case with airbnb (which can take up tons of time to deal with, and be quite frustrating) for the small stuff. Save that route for expensive to replace items. Something like a toilet handle may have been ready to break anyway and just happened to choose to do it when the guests were there.

Yes, it does. And wait until a guest complains - they get a refund, and you get screwed. Be careful. 

I also have a 3-night minimum stay, because it's simply not worth my time to wash linens and towels, remove the garbage, and clean the room for a stay that is shorter than that.  In this way I can keep my price low without feeling that I am slaving away for little gain.

@Gaye-and-George0I agree with the other comments re the pricing. Ignore those messages from Airbnb! Just use your common sense and local research to set your prices.

I think it's bad luck that you had breakages on your first two bookings. By the way, do you have a deposit on your listing? Although I have never tried to claim any of the deposit and I have heard that it's not that easy to do, most guests assume that you have access to those funds and I think it acts as a deterrent. If they know they stand to lose money, they are a bit more careful.

I have used the deposit a few times, on each occasion I was able to speak with somone at Airbnb the last time they refused to contact me direct. I was unable to explain the situation and the Airbnb person was a jobs worth. I was not compensated anywhere near enough to replace the items and repair the damage to my property. I think it is who you get, Airbnb will side with the guest much like the government side with tenant with a renter that does not pay. I was accused today of charging to much for a holiday let. I have no choice now but to make all other Airbnb guests pay for possible damage to my property. Not good for Airbnb and not good for future guests.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I live in my home and rent 2 bedrooms in it.  I made the decision that I was not going to fill the house with Ikea furnishings and decorations.  I want my home to reflect my taste and my collection of art and arts and crafts from around the world.  I would find it far more depressing to hide my cherished items and memories than to have something broken, damaged or stolen.  I'm prepared to sacrifice an object in order to live in a home that is well-curated and which dazzles guests.  I get great pleasure when guests comment on and ask about an interesting piece.  So far all my guests have been great and not a single thing has  been broken or stolen.  Of course since I live in my home no one is going to have a destructive party without me knowing about it.  However, if one day a guests breaks an object or ruins it, it won't be the end of the world and I'll replace it with another cherished piece.  Beauty is meant to be shared and enjoyed and not hidden away.  

Michael, lovely post. Your attitude is great- you want your guests to enjoy being in your beautiful home with your special and carefully chosen decor and art pieces, yet are not going to have a hissy fit meltdown if someone accidentally breaks something. I also have been fortunate to have wonderful, respectful and non-clumsy guests who have done no damage. I just see so many posts on this hosting forum where hosts are devastated or super angry because the guests broke or destroyed something and that's what my topic was referencing.

And it seems, from reading posts on this forum, that there is far less damage done to homes in shared host spaces as opposed to renting out an entire house or apartment.

VisitSanMiguel0
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Airbnb makes you think it is ok to rent out your house, and yeah, they want that money, but in reality, if a guest finds anything "wrong" they stay for free - Airbnb refunds them. And yes, if they destroy things, you are not covered. It is a big con. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 @Huma0 @Branka-and-Silvia0

Sarah, a great post, and you are absolutely right! A friend once said to me when I said I was going to use a hosting platform...."Don't put anything out there you are not prepared to loose"!

My feeling is however, it is lovely to come into a listing that is homely, welcoming.

But you do need to furnish in a way that says 'this feels like home'....'but l don't want to take it home'!

We have a few hundred books in the cottage library, they are all good titles, but not irreplaceable! Some of them do date back 150 years though.

I have had guests take books at odd times but they have invariably returned them, one way or another.

I have a picture of my mum out there in the cottage, Sounds stupid but most guests comment on it and  say what a nice touch it is when they find out it's significance. 

My Mum thought she was ugly and she systematically destroyed every adult photo she could find of herself. This one I have, to my knowledge, is one of only two adult pictures that remain of her.....

CAM02316 (480x640) (2).jpg

So why would I want to hang something like that which is not replaceable, in an original sense, in an accommodation facility,

Because it makes people feel like they belong...... like I have opened my soul and they have entered a part of my life....and because of that they tend to respect what I offer more than they would if it was just Ikea and carried no personal attachment!

....and besides....who is going to steal a picture of my mum???

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 your mother was a beautifull woman 🙂

Fortunatelly there are ways how to equip and decorate the place to look like home without spending a fortune. Second hand furniture is affordable, DIY decorations cost next to nothing etc... and , in the other hand, it can look very generic even if the fortune is spent.