Advice for hosting travel nurses for long term stays?

Answered!
Lesley60
Level 2
Saint Louis, MO

Advice for hosting travel nurses for long term stays?

Hello, 

I'm curious about experiences in hosting travel nurses for long term stays. 

What kind of rates have you offered them, and what rental prices do they often look for?  I certainly understand that different locations and markets affect pricing here -- I would mainly appreciate some anecdotal details.   

I've had many contact me over the months to stay, and even when we offer them substantial discounts and price cuts for our listings, they typically never respond or negotiate.   I'm never too upset about not hosting them -- I keep good occupancy rates without long-term stays necessary -- but having a responsible, long-term guest can always be of benefit.  Any experiences or knowledge on hosting travel nurses would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Don't do it. 

I don't book long term stays through Airbnb but I am a landlord in another property and travel nurses have contacted me on both of my properties.

They want a discount. 

They want to stay as long as they feel like and not through any lease terms (and you WILL need a real lease for this group.) They cite their job changes as a reason not to honor their commitments. 

They work a lot and strange hours so they tend not to do basic home maintenance in terms of cleaning and being tidy.

There are hotels that can accommodate this group-- suites, long term stays. etc. They are much better suited to those platforms with daily maid service, do not disturb signs, and more flexible check in and out. If I was a travel nurse, I would not want the added responsibility of keeping someone's home tidy. I would just book a hotel and let someone pick up after me.

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

My experience with travelling nurses is similiar to yours.

A lot of talk. No results.

Before you start to hand out discounts, require proof

Very good point, Paul. I have been concerned that some of these requests were not even legitimate, but few are very interested in negotiating, which seems odd. 

my friend who is a traveling tech says that is true because they are only given so much in their contracts for housing and most would like to be at or below it so they aren't too much out of pocket. example, my friends living limit for each month in Wyoming was 850, she got an airbnb for 3 months for 835 a month, so she got to have and extra $45 for food. traveler's have to really budget. they are reimbursed mileage to the contract but returning home is all out of pocket.

This is a good point Paul, what would you count as proof of being a traveling medical professional?

Thanks,

Susan

just ask for their credentials. most travelers are very proud of what they do and will rave about their company, recruiter and their specialty. just ask the which company they are contracting with. you can look it up and verify by calling them. 

Shannon218
Level 2
Columbia, SC

My experiences with travel nurses has been 80% negative. They don’t communicate well. Their schedules change and they expect to be refunded or get a free night. When they sleep  all day over the weekend, it’s a major hassel to try to be quiet. One of them lied about my pulling a weapon on her to get out of paying for her stay! I’m curbing having them as guests. 

I feel sad that you wrote what you did. Especially since youre not a nurse. Nurse shifts are 24 hours a day. When we come home from a shift its hard to wind down and cant go to sleep right away.  That said I was not witness to your account. However you do NOT wear nurse shoes and for you to see t)em as all ( Im sorry 80 % negative ) shows me you are narrow minded and need to take math over again. 

@Shannon218 wrote:

My experiences with travel nurses has been 80% negative. They don’t communicate well. Their schedules change and they expect to be refunded or get a free night. When they sleep  all day over the weekend, it’s a major hassel to try to be quiet. One of them lied about my pulling a weapon on her to get out of paying for her stay! I’m curbing having them as guests. 

Darci, I get it. Nurses are not valued as they need to be. They work like slaves, desperately need rest, and just want respect.

If someone hosting, were to ask you for proof of working in the medical field,

1# would you be offended?

2# what would you present

3# how would you suggest presenting that sensitive question to a professional?

As hosts, people seeking lodging are not always what they present themselves, I'm sure you know this, we are all just trying to find our way for the highest good of both sides.

Thanks so much,

and thanks for your dedication to the medical field which helps us all.

Susan

@Shannon218

Mine, too.  I think the system sets us up to take the fall when employment contracts are terminated or the nurse gets transferred out.  To get out of their reservation, they are tempted to create negative issues so that they are not penalized.  My ONLY negative feedback is from travel nurses, and there have been outright lies.  I asked one of them to clarify what she meant by problems with cleanliness (there were none) so that i could do better for the next person and of course got no response.  The point is that the system is designed to damage hosts and Air doesn't protect us.  "Curbing them" seems the only option.  I found my experiences with them so demoralizing (after so much work and providing blackout curtains and not having any contract work - no handymen, no repairs, no yard work) during the daytime hours that I have almost decided to leave Air altogether.  One even said "Don't take it personally" but that's just an additional insult!  Of COURSE it's personal, and our reputation and feedback are everything!!  Given that you, too, have been victimized by falsehoods, you might be interested to know that there is no pathway to a mediator or upper level management to even discuss this - I've tried.  Failing that, I did leave comments describing how we are being used as fall-guys with the online interface person in hopes that it would be forwarded.  The false report of a weapon is ludicrous since they don't pay you directly, and it could have put you on a list with law enforcement.  So unfair.

Yep same thing happened to me. Her contract got canceled so she called Airbnb and said that I accessed her property without her permission. I showed Airbnb the text thread where she asked to fix the bathroom light which we did and then several days later she left in the middle of her reservation and got a full refund from Airbnb. Never hosting a travel nurse again. Airbnb does not do a basic investigation and always takes the side of the guest. 

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Long term will never pay as well as short term. My MIL might do $800 -$1000 long term, $2000-$3000 on Airbnb. But you have to manage the 'guests' so as we all know it's not easy money...

I use to think this was true. But you have to account for the days it isn't rented. Plus you have to pay ALL utilities, usually cable. Traveling people use lots of electricity.  I've done both long term and vacation rental and in the end, I always netted more with a long term tenant. 

My recent experience hosting a travel nurse for 3+ months was exceptionally good. However, prior to booking with this person, I did message with maybe 3 others in that profession who were not a good fit or did not get back to me. I wouldn't rule it out.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Lesley60Just like other guests, you may get good ones and you may get bad ones. I have hosted four travel nurses for 1-3 months each. All of them were pretty good.

I did get 3-4 more inquiries from travel nurses without booking from me. That is normal too because I have had inquiries from people who did not book.