Advice for hosting travel nurses for long term stays?

Answered!
Lesley60
Level 2
Saint Louis, MO

Advice for hosting travel nurses for long term stays?

Hello, 

I'm curious about experiences in hosting travel nurses for long term stays. 

What kind of rates have you offered them, and what rental prices do they often look for?  I certainly understand that different locations and markets affect pricing here -- I would mainly appreciate some anecdotal details.   

I've had many contact me over the months to stay, and even when we offer them substantial discounts and price cuts for our listings, they typically never respond or negotiate.   I'm never too upset about not hosting them -- I keep good occupancy rates without long-term stays necessary -- but having a responsible, long-term guest can always be of benefit.  Any experiences or knowledge on hosting travel nurses would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Don't do it. 

I don't book long term stays through Airbnb but I am a landlord in another property and travel nurses have contacted me on both of my properties.

They want a discount. 

They want to stay as long as they feel like and not through any lease terms (and you WILL need a real lease for this group.) They cite their job changes as a reason not to honor their commitments. 

They work a lot and strange hours so they tend not to do basic home maintenance in terms of cleaning and being tidy.

There are hotels that can accommodate this group-- suites, long term stays. etc. They are much better suited to those platforms with daily maid service, do not disturb signs, and more flexible check in and out. If I was a travel nurse, I would not want the added responsibility of keeping someone's home tidy. I would just book a hotel and let someone pick up after me.

View Best Answer in original post

43 Replies 43
Katie23
Level 3
Lake Oswego, OR

We've received about 5-10 inquires from folks claiming to be traveling nurses and it's always the same. They start by requesting a discount of between 40%-80%. Sometimes they do this by claiming that "the price was different yesterday" and asking you to "honor it". 

Then they are vague on the dates they want to stay and request extra things, like bringing pets, when you don't allow pets, or wanting you to refund them if they leave early, or having you block off your calendar so they have option of extending (at the reduced rate, of course).

Our first year hosting, we entertained hosting people claiming to be traveling nurses. It was just a hassle that ended one of two ways:

1. They just goes silent after claiming they're going to book.

2. They come back a day or two before their stay was going to start and are upset that the unit was booked by somebody else. They feel as though it should have been held for them.

My recommendation - don't give an inch to anybody claiming to be a traveling nurse. They're not going to book anyway and you'll just get frustrated.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Don't do it. 

I don't book long term stays through Airbnb but I am a landlord in another property and travel nurses have contacted me on both of my properties.

They want a discount. 

They want to stay as long as they feel like and not through any lease terms (and you WILL need a real lease for this group.) They cite their job changes as a reason not to honor their commitments. 

They work a lot and strange hours so they tend not to do basic home maintenance in terms of cleaning and being tidy.

There are hotels that can accommodate this group-- suites, long term stays. etc. They are much better suited to those platforms with daily maid service, do not disturb signs, and more flexible check in and out. If I was a travel nurse, I would not want the added responsibility of keeping someone's home tidy. I would just book a hotel and let someone pick up after me.

Confused- If you have such good occupancy rates, what are you posting this for? Traveling nurses use Furnished Finders first. The owners treat us very well and understand our contracts and shift requirements. .They usually know a nurse personally. We have college education and tend to be quiet tenants. We don't bring 2-3 El Cheapo families and shove them into your home on cots and bunk beds. We have licensure issued by multiple states. Because Air B&B is  cot hot, maybe you arent even speaking to real nurses, but some cheap family riding on our tails and yours.

Next, nurses have 13 week assignments that often extend to a year. Who would rather rent to a Weekend Warrior?  This makes no sense. 

There are flakes out there, but personally I have never rented once from this site. I look, but always wind up with VRBO, an apartment,  or Furnished Finders.  I don't find the owners interested in long term commitments and that is most likely the main issue. 

"I don't find the owners interested in long term commitments and that is most likely the main issue. "

That is, to a large extent, because the Airbnb platform doesn't provide enough safeguards for hosts on long term reservations. I don't have any knowledge of how Furnished Finders works, but I would venture a guess that the property owners are allowed to ask you for the same sort of personal info, references, that a landlord you were renting from on a lease would. Plus take a security deposit, etc.

It isn't so much that Airbnb hosts wouldn't be happy with a long term booking from a responsible, hassle -free healthcare professional, but that Airbnb doesn't provide the type of support for hosts should that booking turn out to be someone lying about who they are and what their intentions are.

@Renee453

@Renee453 

I respect your response and thoughts. I would like to ask you a favor, look at my listing and tell me if you see or think of anything that might attract nurses for the occasional long term stay. Please and thank you

@Leif42 

Your place is gorgeous. Would love to vacation there.

We have to duplicate expenses which means we have a home with upkeep and we rent at our present assignment. This home would be larger than our usual rentals with an expensive nightly cost. 

The only way to bring in travel nurses at this nightly rate would be to present it as "per bedroom" while hosting several nurses.  

@Laura_R 2592

CORRECT!!  For people who have such extreme standards for cleanliness from the host, they sure are terrible in their own habits.  One of the travel nurses I hosted clearly NEVER used a broom and there was popcorn all over the floor in a month's time.

Jason114
Level 3
Mountain View, CA

I've hosted plenty of traveling Nurses and enjoy having them. They are overall professional and good to have in our home. I offer the same as any other long term stay and it works out well. I definitely recommend it.

That's encouraging to know! Do you ask them to sign some kind of lease and agree to some terms/conditions? I am about to host travelling nurses and all these reviews/experiences about them is scaring me. Also, since you have hosted plenty of travelling Nurses on your airbnb, what would you suggest are the tips to make them happy as our client and have them keep coming back? 🙂

One big thing to consider is that they often are working a night shift -- so blackout curtains for day sleepers are important.

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

Between myself and my hosting partner, we have 9 properties that we have on both airbnb and furnished finder and almost only rent to traveling medical professionals in town on 60-90 day contracts.  

We have been doing this for a few years, and have been very satisfied.  Yes, schedules change, yes, contracts get cancelled, yes you have to be flexible.  What you get in return are amazing guests that treat your property with respect.

Yes, you make less money.  In my experience folks are getting a housing stipend which depends on where they are going.  Also it is my understanding if they can get housing for less then their stipend they get to keep the difference, hence the haggling I think.  We just had to figure out what the stipend is for our area and don't ask for anything over that (they certainly aren't going to pay more than their stipend, then it's coming out of their own pocket)

We rarely have vacancies, and we are still making about double market rent, so we don't have much to complain about.

That's awesome to know Julie. How do you find out what is their stipend in your area? Do you ask them directly or are there other resources like websites etc?

How are you attracting medical professionals to your listing? Have you adjusted your minimum stay? We’re right by a hospital yet haven’t gotten any requests from travel nurses. We’re on Air bnb and Furnished Finder! Furnished Finder hasn’t been very useful to us either. 

Anna1459
Level 2
Savannah, GA

if someone say they are a traveling medical professional, then they should be able to supply you with the following information:

Traveling company name, Recruiter's name, contact length, hospital they are working for, medical specialty 

We have a team member who is a traveling surgical tech and this information is not sensitive. you can look up the companies number and talk to their recruiter to verify their contract length. Also allows you to talk to them if an issue arises and you can't get ahold of the traveler. 

note they don't have control over their schedule or contract length, they sign up for the contract and sometimes the hospitals cancel the early. they cost 3 times more than a regular staff member.

Daniela1586
Level 4
Del Rey Oaks, CA

Hi Everyone - This is a pretty spread out conversation.  I received a request from a travelling nurse today.  Price is below what my listing is for.  I asked if she could come up in price and she did.  However, she does not have any AirBnB reviews.  Is it acceptable for a host to ask for credentials?  How would I receive the credentials?  I don't mind giving discounts to nurses as they truly deserve it - especially now.  How can I validate if they are legit?  Thank you for reading and your feedback.