Hosting using a corporate legal entity

Jon1
Level 1
United States

Hosting using a corporate legal entity

I want to add additional properties but I want to do so using a corporate entity like LLC to provide some legal protection to myself personally. Currently my profile is just me and with a verified ID.

Does anyone else have experience hosting as a LLC? Can I edit my account or can u make a new one?

Lastly, if this isn't possible how are other hosts of multiple properties managing the risk involved, beyond just rental property insurance?
12 Replies 12
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

I host under my name, but my payments go to the bank account of my LLC.  I've been doing it for two years, and my accountant understands how it all works and we pay corporate taxes and personal taxes.  My profile has nothing to do with the LLC, it's just the LLC that owns the property/rents the property, depending on my listing.   We do a bit of finetuning every year, as we're learning as we grow - but this is how we work things for now.

Thanks for the feedback, Maria. A follow up question though: The LLC owns the property, but a guest is renting from you personally through the site. If the guest has some catastrophe, wouldn't he/she be led to sue you personally, since it's you that he has a "contract" with through the airbnb platform? In this case, the LLC doesn't provide you that protection you need?

Also, have you found anything else online from Airbnb or elsewhere relating to this? It seems like it's relevant to all full-time airbnb properties? 

Thanks

Hi Jon,

We just came out with this very content for rideshare drivers and in the process of tailoring it for Homesharing Hosts:

http://www.sharedeconomycpa.com/blog/should-i-incorporate-or-llc-my-rideshare-income

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Best,

Derek

HI, We own a summer home as an LLC and are thinking of listing on Air BnB.  Would you mind sharing what you have learned about this?

thanks

HI, We own a summer home as an LLC and are thinking of listing on Air BnB.  Would you mind sharing what you have learned about this?

thanks

Hi Jon - 

Was just wondering if you found answers to the questions above? We are getting ready to list our home for the first time and are in a similar situation where our LLC actually owns the property. Trying to figure out the best way to list our home to ensure the liability falls to the LLC instead of us personally. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Maria and everyone else,

So in the end, where or how should I incorporate an LLC for a listing in NYC? It seems like there are a bunch of folks trying to offer services to do it, but don't know who to trust or how exactly to do it. Any tips?

J

A single member LLC (ie. one that has only you as a member) can be created online at sites for legal zoom for less than $200.  After that it is a matter of filing the paperwork with the appropriate department of New York State.  There are usually some minimal filing fees, etc.  You can just google it and it's not very complicated in most states.  You don't need a lawyer....unless you have partners and there need to be bylaws etc.

Elaina5
Level 2
Huntington Beach, CA

In my situation, my home can not be a LLC because it is my primary residents where I live. It is technically not a rental. 

Robert5356
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Hello all. I have been hosting for over a year now and I've grown the business into a corporation but despite following all of AirBnBs directions I'm still seeing the 28% automatic withholding from my revenue on the app. So all of my revenue is going to my corporate bank account but being personally taxed 28% before it gets there. AirBnb is really forcing my hand here. Any help or advice someone can offer to make the withholding stop would be appreciated, thanks so much

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

I'm like @Maria-Lurdes0 

The only difference- my LLC rents the property.

Taxes, insurance, etc. are the same.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

What sort of legal protection are you looking for? Slip and fall, fire insurance, etc? Are you renting a place that you own in your name? If so, this sounds like they'd be able to pierce the corporate veil. Just get an Airbnb insurance rider on top of your homeowner's insurance (if this is a property that you own).