Hosting with a dog

Rachel585
Level 2
Wakefield, MA

Hosting with a dog

I'm a first time host, we have several visitors booked so far for this summer, and I'm trying to figure out how to make sure our guests aren't disturbed by our dog when we aren't home. We are renting out a basement unit but the dining area and bathroom are shared on the first floor. Our dog is very friendly and we made sure to mention her as well as include her in photos. The potential problem is that she doesn't like to be separated from people in the home, and I don't want her to be noisy whining or barking if guests are in their unit. I was thinking of leaving her in my bedroom (on the second floor) when we are away and guests are staying in the unit. Would it be odd to mention to guests that they are welcome to let her out if they want to spend time with her, and to let us know if she is making a lot of noise that we will come get her? As a guest how would you prefer this is handled? All she wants to do is sleep in the room where the people are - if she is on the second floor and guests are in the basement I doubt she'll even notice and will just sleep as she normally does during the day. I just worry if they are hanging out in the dining room she will be upset and noisy. It may not turn out to be an issue, but back when I had house mates at a different property she had to be in the room with them or she would make a fuss (this was while she was much younger so it may not happen again).  Any advice is appreciated!

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think the best strategy is to discuss the dog with the guests and solicit their input.  Your listing is a very large suite and most of the time the guest will probably stay in the guest space.  I have a dog that loves all the petting and attention and no one complains about her.  In fact, I think she is  a part of all the great review.

Your dog is a young one and probably needs to be with her "pack" even if temporary.  Perhaps you need a plan B such as doggy day care if you get feedback from any guest that is bothered but probably you won't have problems.  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Rachel0 ,

I had a dog, I love dogs, I'd like to have one but I don't.

I don't have a dog for the exact same reasons You are bringing up in Your thread.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Rachel0 I have a big friendly dog and friendly cat. They are residents here and I make that clear to my guests. Almost every guest is super pet friendly and they choose my place because they are traveling without their pets or they just like pets. So, my advice is to just make it clear to the guests via message that your dog has the run of the shared areas of the house, as it is his home. If the guests are not cool with that, they will cancel.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

If people are renting your space, possibly for a vacation or work or who-knows-what, it might be a bit of an imposition to suggest that they be responsible for your dog in some fashion. We did several 'test runs' with our two big dogs to see what they did when we left and guests were there. Did they pace, whine, bark, etc when we 'left' and/or when hearing guests? 

We didn't notice any of these issues. Still, when we leave them, we crate them in their big crates (dogs feel safer crated when left alone, this is proven by research as well), and we also text our guests and let them know that we are going out and if the dogs disturb them for any reason we will come home immediately to attend to them. Haven't had a problem thus far - Many times the guests ask to meet our dogs and/or go with us when we walk them on the beach, but I never assume that they should attend to them at all, for any reason, as this could intrude on their time vacationing in our rental.

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

@Rachel585

I don't let guests anywhere near my dogs when I'm not home. What if a guest gave them chocolate, or hurt them intentionally?  What is a guest claimed one of my dogs bit them? They never would bite, but you're leaving yourself vulnerable to someone looking for a quick pay day lawsuit. One of my pure bred dogs isn't fixed yet (she's a puppy). She's worth around $3,000. My dogs are in a locked room when I'm not home, period.

As for whining at the door;

Spend an afternoon or two sitting by the door with her and giving her a treat every time she ignores whatever's going on in there. 

Attach a citronella sprayer to the door. It's activated by the dog's bark and they HATE it. To people it smells like lemons. 

If you do have to resort to a shock collar, it's usually temporary. We had a shelter dog that barked constantly. We used the shock collar for a day and had to change his name to "Silent Bob". Get the kind that's activated by the dog's bark, not the kind you press a button as the timing is essential.

Paige

Alicia242
Level 5
Salem, MA

@Rachel585 How has this been working? My rescue dog is arriving this Saturday. He is just a 15 lb terrier mix & Im told he is good with people & other dogs, so I am hoping he will a good co host with me. Im self employed so not gone for 10hrs a day some days home all day or out and about ( and he will be with me) I have been a Superhost for 3+ yrs and I was on the fence about getting another dog as I havent had one in a long time and was thinking about what will happen when guests are here.  Instead of a crate I am opting for a mud room off my living room with a gate keeping him separate, safe and confined.  The goal is to never be gone for more than 6 hrs. The rescuer who he has lived with for 3 wks says he only barks if a stranger walks in the room and for the first few mins she put him in the crate when she had to go to work.  My guests arent allowed in my LR. Still Im concerned if they here them on the 2nd fl bathroom there guestroom is also on the 1st and mines on the 3 rd Im wondering if he hears them will he bark UGH, I guess it will be trial and error. I can put him on the 3 floor need be...   I am not allowing dogs as guest for many reasons.