Hosting!!

Nathan232
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

Hosting!!

How do you make your listing more available to the public? I have recently set up an Airbnb, and I am unable to find the listing through the search.  How can I better advertise my listing so that it sees more eyes? 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nathan232 I'm not sure about what to advise as to your question, but I have a couple suggestions re your listing.

First of all, there is a typo in your first paragraph. Then you put your email address in the description, which Airbnb has blocked. You can't put personal contact info in the listing description, so edit that out. You really don't want guests having your personal info anyway until they have a confirmed booking. You and your guests will receive phone numbers and a coded email address after the booking is complete.

Your place is lovely and the view is killer. But where is the bedroom in your photo gallery? Guests want to see the bedroom and the bed. Also no bathroom photos- you need to have that.

Is there a ton of competition in your area? Is that why you don't see your place in the search, it's way near the bottom? Did you enter the correct filters to search? 

Thank you for your feedback. It's valuable, and I appreciate the time you have taken.  I have updated the information so that no personal information is given,  and I have fixed the typo. I will update the photos over the next few days.  It's difficult now,  because we are still living in the space,  and need to de-personalize the bedroom and bathroom yet.  I figured I could get a jumpstart in case of running into issues.  There really is not much competition within Macau.  There are quite a few places that pop up nearby within 10 miles, but are technically outside of the country.  

Does it help to get views?

So you'll want to pay attention to SEO (search engine optimisation). According to the articles that I've read, you can do certain things to boost your ranking. For example, by updating your calendar regularly, you could boost your ranking. It's all quite technical, but this blog post explains it quite well - https://www.airbnbtips.com/listing/airbnb-seo-get-more-bookings-on-airbnb/

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nathan232  Well, most of us can't really figure out exactly what boosts listings in the search rankings- using IB is one, (but many hosts, me included, won't use it- we want to dialogue with prospective guests before accepting). I do think views help.  So ask a bunch of friends to view your listing and see if that makes it more visible. Also if you have friends or family with Airbnb accounts, get them to click on the heart to wish-list it. Some hosts may even get friends or family to book the place so they can get some reviews up. You can just have them book, whether they actually stay or not, write a review, then you can re-imburse them what they paid, so you're really only out the booking fee. 

And it might be worth it to spend a day depersonalizing and setting up the bedroom and bathroom for photos, even if you're not quite ready to move out yet. Because as your listing looks now, anyone checking it out will think "But where will I sleep?".