Hosts Need the ability to report Guest Fraud.

Stuart177
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Hosts Need the ability to report Guest Fraud.

I just hosted a guest and instantly I knew something was wrong. Had a verified identity who is not who she said she was.

In addition I suspect fraud, this guest checks in stays, makes up a complaint, cancels, then requests and get full refund. Its a common scam that airbnb is doing little about.

I want to protect other hosts but the airbnb website has no facility to report guests!

Contacted customer support and they do not know ? They tell me to report to their 'internal team" but cannot provide an email. 

The report user function only allows you to report hosts via their selection process, it literally railroads you into reporting hosts, guest reporting is not an option.

I have asked 8 times on separate occasions, finally got through to a customer service agent who is going to refer this to the resolution center which seems odd.

Has anyone else had this issue and Im realising we as hosts need to be better protected against fraudulent guests, the identity verification system needs an overhaul and hosts in general need to know that airbnb has our backs. There are some real horror stories on here where hosts have been left high and dry...

Have you ever tried to report a guest for fraud ? How did you and what was the outcome?

8 Replies 8
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Stuart177 

https://www.airbnb.com.br/help/article/548/

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stuart177  There is a flag symbol on profiles- both hosts and guests. Clicking on that symbol is the way to report.

you cannot report guest fraud that way, try it. 

You can only report hosts...

So I have a guest that did not fit the verified ID, I also suspect fraud, I want to report the guest to have this investigated to help other hosts. 

Look how it railroads me a host into reporting a host, these are the options:

I think they’re scamming or spamming me

1. They asked me to pay outside of Airbnb

Ex: Wire transfer, cash, bank transfer

2. They asked me to communicate outside of Airbnb

Ex: Email, phone, instant message app

3. They advertised or solicited something

Ex: Other booking websites, hosting services

or

They’re being offensive

1. They’re being discriminatory

Ex: Racist, homophobic, sexist

2. They’re being inappropriate

Ex: Sexually suggestive, graphic

3. They’re being abusive or hostile

Ex: Bullying, threats, verbal assaults

or

Something Else

1. I’m concerned they’re hosting in my neighborhood 

2. Something on this page is broken

So again which one for reporting guest fraud ? There is none !

@Stuart177  Well, Airbnb doesn't want to admit they allow fraudulent guests on their platform now, do they?

I would check the one that says "They're being abusive or hostile"- I think you get a box to elaborate briefly after clicking one of those, but I'm not sure.

Also, I think there's a report button next to any messages you received from the guest. 

Yes this is what I am beginning to realise. I thought they (airbnb) would want to hear all the details and take appropriate action to protect other hosts but they actually seem argumentative and supportive of the this fraudulent guest, its astonishing, they couldnt care less.

It is very very disappointing that airbnb customer service is so bias against hosts and so poor at resolving issues, I feel totally vulnerable as a host and now I've started reading all the horror stories on here I can see it is a pattern of giving the guest what they want and making the host put up with fraudulent activity or worse. 

I reported a guest that rented my home under false pretense and reported it to airbnb. In return I was suspend. I have not received any negative reviews and the Airbnb cannot tell me the reason why my account is suspended while under review. How can I handle this? I am furious. To me it feels as if a host cannot report a guest without a host being penalized. I've spoke with Yenny in Safety and Security and she cannot tell me why they are investigating and cannot give me an update how Long my account is suspended. This process is frustrating and no-one can give me any answers. Any suggestions? I'm trying to not go on twitter but find other solutions to contact. It is an awful experience.  

F699965E-5AA4-42D2-838B-1EAA2420E6F6.jpeg

 I’m seeing tons of this lately. So sorry and can’t explain why Airbnb is doing this 

Katharine-Kelly0
Level 2
Arkansas, United States

Just had a similar experience over a holiday weekend. Support only provided word salad answers and suggested that I alter the way we run our business (effectively punishing all guests for the actions of one fraudster). Additionally, the support agent condescendingly said "I know you had difficulties sorting this out" in a recap email after the end of the call. In truth, I think my mind wandered as the support agent provided an overly verbose, obviously scripted, and circular "answer" to the problem at hand.

Is an internal system for reporting bad actors really too much to expect? Guests are staying in our properties, sometimes in our HOMES. I believe that an internal reporting system geared toward the protection of hosts, their families, friends, and neighbors is not only reasonable, but a requirement that should be implemented ASAP.