Hosts: Would like to see flat rate cancellation fee for first 48 hrs after booking.

Kathy59
Level 3
Buckhorn, Canada

Hosts: Would like to see flat rate cancellation fee for first 48 hrs after booking.

For the second time in the last month, I have had a guest cancel within 48 hrs of confirmation.  One was for 6 and one was for 12 guests.

In each case, I spent a lot of time, with messages back and forth as inquiries before booking.  These continued after confirmation, (and, of course, the listing was off the market at a peak time).  Then the guests cancelled because they found a hotel instead.....

I did speak to AirBnB and they said they would add my request to suggestions.

So, just putting it out there to other hosts:   I would like to see a flat rate (maybe at the discretion of the host or in consultation with AirBnB) that could be charged for compensation on any cancellation.  Even $50 or a percent of booking.

Another word to hosts, I have learned through these cancellations not to give out directions or other information until after maybe 3 days (also as recommended by AirBnB).  

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Good idea

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Kathy59 I agree but I doubt it will happen.

ABB corporate exists to please guests, not hosts. So long as that guest who canceled booked somewhere else that is advertised on ABB, they really don't care that one host lost money.

I had this happen recently. Guest booked then decided she wanted a longer stay elsewhere at the last minute with a pool for her dog to swim in. I know exactly what listing she booked-- it is another host in the area 🙂 So I lost out but they gained-- zero sum for ABB. Maybe if they could take a fee out of the cancellation fee, they would be interested 🙂

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

In each case, I spent a lot of time, with messages back and forth as inquiries before booking” 

There’s a reason why I don’t invest much time in people who ‘Inquire’. I actually prefer to encourage them to go away, having learned early on that they rarely pay off. Just not worth it. 

@Kathy59  Interesting idea, but I can’t see Airbnb implementing anything that benefits host to the detriment of guest. Unless of course there was something in it for Airbnb, as Laura says…a fee tacked on, lol.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Kathy59  I actually would not support that at all. We are in the hospitality industry. The entire reason that we are on the platform is because we are selling something that we want others to buy. Part of the "sell" is spending time answering questions, reassuring guests, and catering to their needs. 

You'll never actually know how much the pre-booking messaging pays off. For every situation in which you get a cancellation within the 48 hour window, you may have gotten many other lovely bookings due to your pre-booking messaging. Really, it's part of the sell. The airlines give a 24 hour window. I think 48 hours is reasonable for lodging. It's gives the traveler a couple of days to manage any logistics that may be hanging. I also like to think that most people book with good intent, because they actually need a place to stay in a certain place on certain dates. Maybe I'm naïve....