Hosts: Would you pay for a local artist to paint a mural on your wall(s)?

Mick42
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hosts: Would you pay for a local artist to paint a mural on your wall(s)?

Hi everyone - 

About three years ago I launched a social network called "FStop" to connect visual artists to one another.  It was a fun project (it even earned press coverage: http://fstopfm.presskithero.com/articles) but the costs were prohibitive as we never quite hit a tipping point where monetization made sense, so it's now on autopilot and is currently no more than a proof-of-concept.

I'm now wondering if there's any value in pivoting this platform towards homeowners and painters.  I have a big blank wall in my home and have decided to commission a local artist to paint a mural on it.  I'm very excited because this project will make my condo unique while supporting the local arts, and I was surprised by just how many talented artists responded to my Craigslist gig.  It seems there's a great supply of artists at all price ranges offering their services, but I wonder if there's some hidden demand for those services out there (among AirBnB hosts especially).

My question to you is:  Would you pay for a local artist to paint a mural on the wall(s) of your listings?  If so, why?  If not, why not?

Reasons I see for:

1. It supports local artists (directly by paying for their service; indirectly by exposing their work to a constant stream of guests)
  2. It personalizes your listing in a unique, culturally valuable way (possibly a competitive advantage)
  3. It may be cheaper than wallpaper, depending on the "tier" of painter you hire

Reasons I see against:

1. It's more expensive than standard paint
  2. It may be a turn-off if the style isn't aligned with guest preferences

Thoughts?

1 Reply 1
Anna-Marie10
Level 2
Coogee, Australia

Sad to see you never got a response. I'm pondering the same and struggling with what I'd like to pay vs thinking that artists should get paid more!