Hosts not observing enhanced cleaning protocols

Answered!
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Hosts not observing enhanced cleaning protocols

Three stays in a row,   all listings featured enhanced cleaning protocols:

1)  Host says apartment will be ready at 2pm.    Host and friend in apartment at 2:30pm until after 3:15p fooling with equipment in one bedroom.  Host & freind exit via kitchen,   where they take things out of refrigerator cabinets etc.;   no gloves etc;  pretty clear no enhanced cleaning or disinfecting because *no cleaning products in sight*.  (This host has 1800 reviews for multiple properties).

2) "New French host."    (The one who has no one to bring keys for days;   also had no check-out plan).    In apartment at check-in.   No gloves,  clearly no protocols from state of things (food left open in refrigerator etc);  insists on showing apartment despite checking off contactless check-in.    Ditto cleaning products.

3) Italian hosts running multiple rooms around city.    Self-check in instructions revealed as "meet host in person" 24 hours in advance;   meet in entryway to building,  insist on taking us up one-by-one on a small elevator.   Enter apartment,   host takes mask off;   host enters apartment at other times!;   host and cleaner or assistant enter apartment without notice without masks (aren't mobile cams great?).   (I haven't checked what they have in the cleaning cabinet;  it's possiblethey cleaned beforehand,  but are taking back-to-back reservations at this point).

To be frank,  I don't know where to begin,   but based on this limited experience,   the protocols are just check boxes and a significant number of hosts are just going through them without reading (hey,  I noticed that you have to agree to a contactless check-in!). 

How the heck are same-day turns being allowed?!!?  for that matter.   We are doing very well in Italy and France,   but continuing to do so requires care and vigilance.   The above aren't it.

This is disappointing and concerning (not to start on some behaviors I've seen in Milano in the past days-- my grandfather's temper and some of his most pointed Italian phrases,   almost came out for some teenagers on the subway today).   

Equally,  though,   as a guest,   I chose and paid for those services and there's a problem when those services are not delivered,  at all.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kenneth12  Yep, I wouldn't necessarily believe that all the listings that have said they are doing enhanced cleaning actually are. 

The entering or meeting you without a mask and no distancing is of course not okay at all and I would certainly take it as a sign that they haven't sterilized anything as they were supposed to.

As far as gloves are concerned- I don't see the point of gloves. As soon as you touch something that might be contaminated, the gloves will also be contaminated. It seems far better to just wash your hands frequently. 

View Best Answer in original post

39 Replies 39

@Kenneth12  You do have a very skewed idea of what self-isolation and self-quarantine mean. 

It means you don't go out and about, you don't take public transportation, you don't go out for dinner, or shopping- you stay put in the same place for the required period of time. I don't know how the law reads in Europe re reciprocity- perhaps you can travel between countries if you have your own car and go from point A to point B if you don't come in contact with others, but I'm sure it doesn't mean that it's okay to go out for dinner, which is far more dangerous than a non-disinfected olive oil bottle.

@Sarah777 : 

I in no way have a "skewed" idea of that those terms mean.   (Check with Lori Lightfoot in Chicago,  if you want a skewed idea of what a quarantine may be).

Insomuch as they are changing on a daily basis,    I know more or less what the UK,  French,  Italian (and Japanese-- alas,   it looks like Japan is going to be too much work for too many people) protocols look like and how they are being implemented.    Unless terms of reciprocity change,   for instance,   a French tourist (and vice-versa) may visit the UK,   triggering a 14-day self-isolation period.   They may travel onward or back to France,   by any method,  during this period,   completing self-isolation in the onward destination.    Inside the UK and France,  at least,    compliance is fully voluntary.

People are being quite careful in CDMX today,   or were a month ago--  what is happening in Europe is quite different,  the streets are full,   people are saddling up to one another in-and-outside,  grabbing a drink and exchanging the air they breathe and anything they're harbouring in their lungs.

(Though the terms are being used interchangably everywhere,   self-isolationhowever defined is not true legally imposed quarantine qua 'cordone sanitaire';    I'm using the current pop term,  which government websites,   at least,  are also using in multiple languages,  and which means different things in different places at different times).

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I am getting the impression that 99% of hosts just signed up for the enhanced cleaning protocols because it was the next thing that Airbnb told them to do. I think a very few numbers of hosts actually thought about whether or not they are actually going to be able to comply.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilia42,

I tried the enhanced cleaning protocol for two weeks, and that was long enough for me to say, "I'm out.", and opted-out.  Still to this day, not a single guest has inquired about our cleaning process. 

@Debra300 how did you opt out and did you get further communication from abb about opting out? Has that been a problem for you? I'm in Metro Melbourne where we are still in lockdown with our second wave but my property is in regional victoria where they've recovered from the second wave so trying to work out how realistic the protocol will be to apply

@Emilia42 :

got it and that's certainly the impression I have at the moment.   It's certainly more than easy to just click around and find the answers on ABB's form.    (I did not last night,  finally having a chance;  we implemented our own protocols,  somewhat more extensive,   far before ABB came out with anything,   so I'd been ignoring the ECP section).

Each of the hosts above was different,   and made different mistakes.   I'm inclined to agree with Sarah,  that the gloves portion doesn't matter much.    Other things do.   Just being sloppy and not trying hard enough,   walking into an apartment and cleaning it without a mask,     or running around your apartment without a mask right before you let people in,    probably isn't going to cut it.

My quick take from Italy is that everyone was scared to death and truly isolating,  but never got much detailed information.   So now that things look good and are mostly open,   a lot of people are still staying in,   but a lot of attitudes are also lax / lacking information.

Host #2 here is probably the only irresponsible one,  but #1 and #3 probably need some kind of push / reminder / additional information.

Matt682
Level 9
Hednesford, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 I looked at the enhanced protocol, and did the “training”. The cleaning company I use meets or exceeds all of the standards, but there were one or two bits I didn’t want to follow so didn’t sign up. I still received reminder emails.

I can totally see loads of people treating it as a tick box exercise however, and not giving it due consideration. Especially those who are already really busy and working hard to meet expectations.

Exactly my experience as well @Matt682 

And I haven't had any guests mention the cleaning protocol or cleaning in general. Reviews speak for themselves I think. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kenneth12  Yep, I wouldn't necessarily believe that all the listings that have said they are doing enhanced cleaning actually are. 

The entering or meeting you without a mask and no distancing is of course not okay at all and I would certainly take it as a sign that they haven't sterilized anything as they were supposed to.

As far as gloves are concerned- I don't see the point of gloves. As soon as you touch something that might be contaminated, the gloves will also be contaminated. It seems far better to just wash your hands frequently. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Good point and I personally prefer to wash my hands than wear gloves in this situation.

However, imagine that a listing has been cleaned according to the protocol but for some reason the host/co-host/cleaner/repair person or someone needs to enter the property. I would think that they would need to do so wearing a mask and a fresh pair of gloves, not just walk around touching everything. That would concern me also.

I actually doubt that MOST hosts who have signed up for the protocol are doing it, or still doing it. It's just not feasible to do a lot of those things in between each guest. The amount of cleaning time and product involved wouldn't even make hosting worthwhile unless you are charging the guest a lot for it. I bet you many people did try to do it once or twice before signing up and then just gave up but decided it was best to keep the badge anyway...

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0@Sarah977@Mike-And-Jane0@Emilia42

I saw no reason to fake the funk, and keep the badge instead of properly opting-out of the unrealistic, inconsistent, and not based upon real life cleaning protocol.  So far, I don't see that it's had any impact on renting the space.  In the month of July, only four available days were not rented.  I had four different guests, two were newbies (during the period with the badge) and two were experienced Airbnb users (no badge).  A couple of days ago, we received another reservation for the entire month of August that was booked from a seasoned Airbnb guest. When booking, unlike @Kenneth12, none of them inquired about our cleaning process.  Although we provide cleaning supplies, a couple of guests did arrive with their own cleaning products, and one had a ultraviolet disinfectant wand.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Good for you, but unfortunately, not everyone is so honest! Some people will rationalise it to themselves one way or another (maybe saying, okay, I didn't do it this time but I will try next time...)

No, I don't think it has any impact on my bookings either and still not one single guest asking about cleaning measures, although they are still asking for discounts (yawn)...

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I almost attended college in Richmond a long time ago, and what I remember about that general South London area was that it's not an inexpensive area to live.  I think that folks who would typically live in bed-sits feel embolden by the lockdown, and think that they are now entitled to have a posh lifestyle for a few quid - living a champagne life on beer money.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Debra300 

Richmond is a very expensive area, but it's not at all close to where I live. My neighbourhood is much less posh, more urban and very mixed, both in terms of ethnicity and income groups. However, it is much more central and prices here aren't always that cheap either! The bit I live in is a conservation area because of all the historic importance of the architecture. There really are so many stunning houses, which is why I chose to house hunt here in the first place.

Yes, I reckon I am getting more and more enquiries from people who would maybe not normally be in the running for my place. In the good old days, all of my rooms were easily booked up by people willing to pay the advertised price, which is already very good value. All my friends have told me it's too cheap and one even said he would think it was a scam because the price is so low. 

Since the calendars were unblocked, I've only had ONE guest enquiry not asking for a discount (she didn't book because I started asking her COVID-19 safety related questions) and only ONE booking.

There is plenty of interest, but perhaps from the wrong people. Enquiries are coming in, but not requests to book or instant bookings. Almost everyone wants to pay less and some of them also want to pay less but get more. I had another one yesterday who wants both a discount and for her boyfriend to stay over...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I was brought up near Richmond in South west London @Debra300  and lived there for four years - it's one of the most expensive areas in London.

Where @Huma0  lives in South London is quite different but I love it there. I think any guest would be lucky to stay at her fabulous home. Streatham for me is a great location. Easy access to central London and some fab local places to eat out/drink.