Hosts posting misleading photos of their view

Dee91
Level 1
Stateline, NV

Hosts posting misleading photos of their view

Hi everyone,

I recently started listing my home with airbnb. I have a condo that has an exectptional view of a gigantic blue lake. I use the photo of the view as my cover photo for the listing. Other hosts use a lake view photo as their cover photo as well.  Many of these listings dont have the view that they are advertising, and I believe that this is diluting the value of my listing.  In fact, when I talk to guests of other listings (in the hot tub, on a the ski lift), twice I heard examples of guests renting a place that they thought would have a view of the lake, but did not.

Is a photo of scenery of the area considered a misleading photo if that view cannot be had from the host's property?

If so, does airbnb enforce that kind of thing, or is there a way to have it enforced?

Thanks all

5 Replies 5
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

To enforce it, Airbnb will have to visit every place that lists with them (a million?), so that wouldn't happen.

However, the guests via their reviews will, in all likelihood, correct the misrepresentation; for example, when more than one guest starts their reviews with: "We were dissapointed not to have view, which we were expecting because of the photos of the place, which turned out not to be totally accurate". The reverse will be the case with your place.

And be sure to remind other people's guests to mention it in their review, should you happen to overhear it in the hit tub!

Steve

There are obviously other ways of enforcing rules, besides a site inspection.  Airbnb puts the guests and hosts to work for them, so wht not on this? The other major vacation renatal company enforces such a rule. Are hosts allowed to post photos that are not of their property or of their view on airbnb? Here is an example of ONE way that it could be enforced so as not to dilute the appeal of genuine listings: A photo could become "flagged" by a guest or another host, during the next guest's stay or upon checkout, airbnb could prompt the guest to rate the accuracy of photo in question.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Dylan0You can also put in your photo description "Actual view of from the Spa" or whatever. Also talk up the view in the listing, "amazing lake views from every room", "30' to the lake front from our front door". You have to "sell it" and that means everything from subtle hints to a "monster truck announcement...Sunday,,,Sunday Sundayyyyyyyyy". If the guest don't know you are the obvious choice, you have to tell them that you are the best. If everything in your listing is on point, That means the wording, the pics and the pic order, Then it's just automatic.

I totally agree that you need to "plant the seed" in the guest head about commenting in the review about how amazing the view is At your place. When you get the booking, plant the seed, you are going to be amazed by the views.  When they arrive, direct them to "check out the view!". I think you might be headed in the direction you want just by communicating in a more direct manner. 

I dont have any issue with my listing, or with the reviews that guests leave. It is clear in my listing that my place has an amazing lake view, and every single one of my guests' reviews mentions the view. The issue is that the other listings are using a cover photo that simply dilutes the appeal of my listing, regardless of whether the guest reads any or every review.

To address my question: It this practice allowed? No. these photos should be in the about the area section along with photos of skiiers doing backflips and anglers ripping salmon from a stream. When its an unrealistic view of the lake, it seems to get a pass, and that is wrong. What can be done about it?