Hosts should submit feedback to Airbnb if guests violate house rules

Emily491
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hosts should submit feedback to Airbnb if guests violate house rules

Hello Airbnb Community,

I'm a superhost and have a 1 bedroom apartment that I rent out with a maximum of 4 guests.  Recently I've had 2 separate reservations book for 2 guests but they brought in 12 guests instead and partied all night.  For one of them there was vomit in the entry way and trashcans, and for the other there was marijuana residue and smell when they left.  Not to mention the noise they made throughout the night clearly bothering neighbors!  

In my house rules, I list clearly that there are fines for breaking rules like bringing extra guests, partying, or smoking, but the real problem is that Airbnb doesn't enforce these rules.  If a guest doesn't want to pay a fine, they just don't and there's nothing that Airbnb can do about it according to their policy now.  I think the only way to help hosts trust that their guests will follow the house rules and be respectful to our properties is if Airbnb changes their policies and allows hosts with evidence like video surveillance or pictures of vomit, cigarette butts or marijuana, to actually charge these fees and have the guests pay them.  Right now, guests act however they want because they know they don't have to pay any fees if they break the rules.  Instant book or not, hosts need to be able to rely on enforcement from Airbnb if these blatant violations happen and right now this just isn't the case with Airbnb's current policies.  

I've submitted feedback to Airbnb and I encourage other hosts to do the same because that's the only way they might listen:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

6 Replies 6
David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb do NOT listen. Period. Any new hosts, please lower your expectations! 

@Emily491 Airbnb is only a listing service - as the owner of your property, it's solely your responsibility to protect it. You can at least pursue a claim in the event of physical damage, but Airbnb has no intention of battling reversed charges on your behalf over arbitrary penalty fines. So your best recourse when guests are breaking your rules is to immediately terminate the booking and remove them from your property, before they have a chance to cause damage and disturbance. 

It's far from ideal, but renting an apartment to unvetted strangers off the internet was never going to be a low-risk enterprise.

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Emily491I have to agree with Andrew.  We would all love for Airbnb to take more responsibility, but they are strictly a booking agency with extremely loose booking terms.  As hosts, we are forced to look out for ourselves.  I don't ever rely on Airbnb to "have my back."  I think the rental world in general is high risk, including long term rentals.  I remember my days of renting an apartment where the landlord would do a credit check, ask who my employer was, and ask for maybe 3 personal references.  That was all they could do to safeguard themselves.  They had their own insurance and I conduct my rental in the same manner.  I don't trust Airbnb to cover me at all or even partially in the event of a destructive tenancy.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Emily491   I agree with both @Anonymous  and @Susan1404 . You have two lovely listings with a large number of positive reviews, however, if the "party group" is beginning to show up, you need to tweak your listing.  Just having rules does not mean there is any way you can enforce them.  The security deposit is about damage not bad behavior.  Your review addresses bad behavior.  Perhaps there are booking and availability changes you can make that reduce the chance of the party group.  Do not allow same city booking.  Have a minimum 2 day booking.  That will not be the magic bullet, but it will reduce the odds of a party crowd.  Have a camera at the front door to monitor entrance into your listing.

Like all businesses, the buck stops with you.  You need to own a good vetting system that is not so potential guest friendly but is about guest suitability for your listing.  After 4 years, I have modified my listing availability to encourage guests having expectations that fit with what I offer and what I want to deal with.

Air BnB is a global company wanting your money with minimal risk  No with no risk!!

I don’t use Airbnb much any more I just have it all for advertising there’s other platforms out there that allow you to host or the owner of the property to take their own bond.

I have terms and conditions I have house rules and I don’t allow my guests access until they reply back with government ID and answers the nine questions including “have you read the house rules” before access to the property but I get a lot of slack from a  certain type of  Frustrated  guest that they have to supply government ID and answer the 9 administration questions before we give access to my properties. The  Airbnb guest that don’t like normally have turned out to be  fraud or have extra guests damages done. They are way too spoilt by other hosts just opening up the door without even asking for ID. Airbnb is now known for party houses. Some Air BnB guests  Are like spoilt children if they can’t get their way they just throw a tantrum and Air BnB gives in.

Andrew0 I noticed you only share out a room so majority of the time you would be there there’s a lot of people that just hand the keys over to strangers. You don’t need to show Air BnB much to become a guests. Airbnb need to allow host  to have more control over the  security  deposit, appropriate ID and for guests to have to agree in writing they agree to your terms and conditions 

Hillary73
Level 2
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA

Hello everybody we are new to Airbnb and reading this is a great help.

@Emily491 what a terrible experience I am so sorry you went through this. Great to know that we can't depend on Airbnb for more protection. 

For our rental place we do required a government ID and will try to add stronger rules. I love what @Kate204  wrote, "I have terms and conditions I have house rules and I don’t allow my guests access until they reply back with government ID and answers the nine questions including."

I hope this never happens but after reading it anything is possible and we sure don't wish to have crazy strangers raising hell and screaming when our home is in a very quiet residential zone. 

I will make sure to add something to our terms in case any guests who breaks any of the rules, including arriving with more guest or a large party, where the contract is terminated and they will forfeit the full payment  and must leave the  property or cops will be called. Is that what some of your also have in your contract?

Any advice is welcome.

BTW I am sharing this if it can help too, we responded to a social media influencer (in other words a freeloader)  who asked to stay for less than 1/2 of the price we are asking.  

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we are unable to reduce our standing rates. We wish you the best and enjoy your trip."

My best to all and a great 2020!

Hillary