Hosts watch out on overstayed guests

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

Hosts watch out on overstayed guests

As an experienced host, I experienced the most horrible event in 5 years hosting. A guest was supposed to check out 11 am overstayed and refused to leave. I called police and police showed up. Guest told the police that he extended the stay and there is a positive covid case in the house. Police gave me a call and refused to provide help since he could not verify the contract and would not verify the contract with airbnb.  

The guest finally left after I came to property on site and two officers came to the property.  Just to let every host know. In pandemic, police probably would not remove overstayed guests and hosts need potentially go through eviction process to evict a guest through court. 

This guest had 2 five star reviews before he checked in. Honestly specking, any host could face the same problem I faced. Watch out every one. 

Btw, the guest left an 1 star review on my account and Airbnb refused to delete his review since he did not use offensive words in his review. He yelled me at my face using the B word and F word multiple times. after I gave Airbnb police report that shows his overstay, airbnb still refused to delete his review. And weeks after his overstay, his account is still alive/under Airbnb investigation. 

Hosts really need to watch out on guests with fewer reviews in this pandemic environment. 

12 Replies 12
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Mar125  Your guest Jacob has many, many stellar reviews.  Your review of him didn't mention any kind of squatting, only that he complained.  This is a he said/she said situation and Airbnb won't remove his review.  But you have enough good reviews that you should be okay.  If I were you I would forget about it and move on, and perhaps see if there was anything that could be improved.

Mar125
Level 10

Jacob was a lier, but he didn’t overstay or leave a mess. Obviously, this person probably has been banned by airbnb. 

Overstaying in california is not something host can get over easily.

Sorry about your upset but I am very confused about the facts here. You said that he refused to leave, yet above you say “he didn’t overstay.” Also, you said he had only two reviews, yet his account shows, as Ann mentions, many reviews. Again, sorry about your bad experience, but it is had to see a clear picture here.

@Nikolai12  -  I believe @Mar125 is talking about a different guest, someone who has since been removed from the platform.  I didn't understand that from her original post.

Mar125
Level 10

bingo. you got it. Jacob B wasn’t the guest who overstayed. guest who overstayed probably already got banned by airbnb.

btw, this jacob b also wasn’t an honest guy. he damaged my fridge, but he left fine.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Mar125 sorry you had to deal with this. Did you have another guest moving in the same day? Would it have been an option to extend his stay for a fee? In Chicago police would not do anything Covid or not. I have a contract with a private security firm. I’m actually yet to use them but nice to have as a back up. Airbnb also allows you to file a claim for the overstay, even if it’s late check out.

Mar125
Level 10

I offered 50% off to allow him extend, and this guest didn’t pay after 3 days. He simply lied to the police that he had an airbnb extension that he is granted by airbnb or something. Neighbors are around asking the police. Police refused to do anything. 

It’s a nightmare.

post here so that everyone shall be aware.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Mar125  I'm a little confused as to why you feel the police would interfere in a civil matter relating to your STR business? 

if your guest won't leave it is up to you/your co-host to go to your property to ensure the guest left .  I'm not sure why you would have offered him a discount when overstaying without your permission

Nor why you wouldn't have been honest in your review to warn other hosts @Mar125 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Helen3,

I understand your points, but calling the police wasn't inappropriate.  Hotels often call the police if a guest won't leave, and property owners call them if someone is trespassing.  As long as a guest's status hasn't converted to tenant, a host can rightfully engage the police to remove an overstaying guest after a reservation has ended, because they are committing theft of services.  

Mar125
Level 10

is this not a standard practice in UK?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No it's not. Police here deal with criminal matters. @Mar125 

Someone overstaying is seen as a civil matter.

If we want to evict someone who is a tenant rather than a guest we would need to get a court order and then court baliffs are sent in to evict the tenant.

The police would only intervene if a criminal act i.e. violence occurs during the eviction.

Mar125
Level 10

From what you described, I’d think you understand the law wrong. UK law seems to treat overstayed guest as trespassing, and it’s a crime. Very similar to california law. Police will enforce the manner as trans passed guests. As long as the residence has not been established, police can remove them.