How do I properly educate guests on Hot Tub Etiquette?

Answered!
Marty-and-Amanda0
Level 2
Mobile, Canada

For instance, our guests had the cover off the hot tub for like 2 hours.  I said in the orientation - that the water cools really quickly when the cover is off ... and it takes a REALLY long time for it to heat back up.

I don't want them to be disappointed with their stay - but is there another way I can communicate things like that?

House Manual and listing description ... but ... I don't know if they actually read it.

Is there a notice that I could put up, that says something subtle and polite, but still communicating the importance?

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

This is such a pain in the neck that we almost don't want to offer tubs, but guests love them. We have (large) signs posted by the tubs reminding guests of the rules for safe/efficient use and also have the rule about showering in our house rules that guests must acknowledge when booking. Still people don't pay attention, but it helps somewhat. I wouldn't worry about being subtle... yes we have had all of these issues.

• To protect your own health and safety and the integrity of tub and linens, all guests must shower before and after using hot tub.
  • No pets of any kind or size in hot tub, please.
  • Please leave spa covers on and secured after use. Spa cover is for insulation only and is not designed to support weight. Please do not stand or sit on spa cover.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi Marty and Amanda: Could you possilbly write/paint "Please Replace Cover" right on the cover itself? It could even have some light humor along the lines of "Our Hot Tub gets chilly without its blanky" Just a thought.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

This is such a pain in the neck that we almost don't want to offer tubs, but guests love them. We have (large) signs posted by the tubs reminding guests of the rules for safe/efficient use and also have the rule about showering in our house rules that guests must acknowledge when booking. Still people don't pay attention, but it helps somewhat. I wouldn't worry about being subtle... yes we have had all of these issues.

• To protect your own health and safety and the integrity of tub and linens, all guests must shower before and after using hot tub.
  • No pets of any kind or size in hot tub, please.
  • Please leave spa covers on and secured after use. Spa cover is for insulation only and is not designed to support weight. Please do not stand or sit on spa cover.
Marty-and-Amanda0
Level 2
Mobile, Canada

Thanks guys. 

Painting in the cover itself is a good idea.

Also... Ive never thought of tje damage to linens.... I haven't been asking them to shower after hot tub use  I will now, thanks  

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

I am disappointed. 

I thought this might be along the lines of "please don't squeeze strangers thighs in the tub". Obviously if shared by more than one unit. 

Maryalice0
Level 2
Kittery, ME

I have a delicate subject - sex in the hot tub. How do I politely ask that it does not happen?  I definitely get more business by advertising my hot tub, but I want to make it clear that tub is for relaxation only. There are so many reasons why "no sex" is required: 1) I go in there too. Ewwww... 2) sanitation 3) body fluids cause yucky foam 4) my neighbors can see and hear hot tub activity. I tried a polite "no body fluids" sign and that didn't work.  I also am good at declining young men who ask "is the hot tub private" before they even book (a sure sign he wants to bring his partner for a romp in my clean tub.) Does anyone have suggestions? The hot tub is a great way to relax after sports, warm up, have coffee or cocktails, etc. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Maryalice0  Unfortunately, given that the majority of guests don't read or follow the rules, the reality is, you can ask and require all you want, but as long as guests have access, it will still happen. The best thing I can think of is to emphasize in the listing and in direct communication with guests before booking, that the hot tub is for their use, but the area it's in is not private and is visible to both yourself and neighbors. Maybe that will help, then again, maybe not in some cases. The only sure way to avoid the issue is to not give guests access.