House Insurance especially Contents UK

Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

House Insurance especially Contents UK

Many will have read that you may not be covered if you do airbnb. I have found that most of the usual insurers will not even quote to cover you for contants insurance. Many of those that do just quote as if you are either (a) running a B&B business, (b) have a lodger or (c) are a holiday let. These are all very expensive. However after much (and I mean 2 days on the internet & phone) I found that Admiral have specific terms for airbnb. They give you B&B insurnace with exceptions for those who use platforms such as airbnb. Much cheaper, specifically tailored and no unreasonable demands such as bolier inspections, fire extinguisher, what you can have in the room, intruder alarms etc. This is not an advert for them but is most certainly a recommendation of how to make sure you do not invalidate your insurance without spending hours phoning round.

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Here are the key points you need to know:

1. Cover for homeowners who advertise their main residence on Airbnb, Wimdu, Onefinestay and Homestay. Admiral Host Insurance can't be used by those who live in rental properties
  2. If you need to make a claim you can just call us and we'll sort out the rest - you won't have to try and resolve the issue directly with your guests
  3. The maximum number of paying guests staying in your home at any one time cannot be more than double the number of bedrooms. For example, no more than four paying guests in a two bedroom property
  4. You don't need to tell us every time you rent out the property and it can be occupied by paying guests for a maximum of 90 days throughout the policy term
  5. Host Insurance can be added to any of the three tiers of cover
  6. The most we will pay for loss or damage to your listed high risk items caused by theft, vandalism, malicious acts or accidental damage is £5,000 unless they are kept in a locked safe or removed from the home.

Has been discussed before, maybe Ok for the occasional Hst.

David
Nikki39
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I did not just mean host insurance. I was also making the point regarding people's "usual" contants insurance. I know it has been discussed before but I suspect many have not told their insurers about airbnb and have invalidated their insurance, so I thought was worth a reminder. Also although I knew, I always look around for the best deal and on this occasion I found I was left with one choice.

Also I note from your post:

In greater London, the maximum number of days you can let out a room (for a continuos period of less than 90 days - if longer they are then a lodger) is a total of 90 days in a calendar year. If more, you have to apply for change of use for the building (to a B&B) So in London, UK, less than 90 in the period of insurance is not an "occasional" host.

If you are in rented property, you must ask your landlord about letting out a room, as this is subletting. If you don't tell them, you risk being evicted.

In you post you use the first person plural but I assume that is just when quoting from the policy and that you are not employed (or own) Admiral.

Another company which does 'normal' home insurance but is fine with you being a host (so long as you tell them) is HomeProtect - at https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/airbnb-insurance 

Best wishes

Helena

Paul-And-Sarah1
Level 2
Dorking, United Kingdom

Thanks Helena - I just got our place insured with Home Protect after reading the above

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Nikki0

Thank You so much for  sharing this  very  important information regarding insurance for all us Britsh hosts here in the United Kingdom.

Hi can you do airbb and also have a lodger? I'm finding it hard to get insurance to cover both!

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi all,

Also try Towergate Insurance in the UK.

Just type in Airbnb Insurance in the search bar.