House Party Prevention

Jordan9
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

House Party Prevention

My partner had 3 separate reservations on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this weekend and ended up with 3 separate guests that lied to us about the intent of their stay, each throwing their own party with numerous guests (20+) in our home. We did not catch the Thursday night party until after the guest checked out Friday so there was little we could do.

Friday we drove past the home shortly after midnight and found 20-30 people over. My partner kicked out the guest immediately after breaking up the party.

Saturday we drove past the home at 11PM, but later found out the guest had multiple people over for a party that went until the early hours of the morning. The house was left a mess and smelled like a dirty night club.

All guests were told that we did not want any parties, and to find another home that permitted large groups if that is what they intended to have. We were assured by each guest that a party would not occur. We are quickly learning that guests can be dishonest and that additional measures to protect our home have to be taken. 

A couple preventative measures we have implemented this far are:

1. Be cautious of single night reservations, especially on weekends.

2. Drive by the home to check-in on it if you suspect something doesn't line up with your guest’s reservation.

3. Let neighbours know to call you if they hear or see anything out of the ordinary. 

4. Do not have any stereo's in the home (although 2 of 3 guests this weekend brought their own stereos)

5. Communicate Clearly. Communicate to the guest explicitly that parties are not permitted. Make clear your definition of what constitutes a party so that lines can clearly be delineated. Set expectations for the number of guests in the home with a quantitative number and avoid phrases like "a couple", or "a few", or "a small gathering". One of our guests argued that 20-30 people did not constitute a party and that because they weren't actually sleeping over at the home, they technically were not considered guests.

6. Check the guest’s history and look for past reviews. Be cautious of guests that live within short driving distance of your home and question why they are booking it.

We are considering putting in a security camera on the outside of the home at the front door or using our alarm to monitor how many times our exterior doors open and close, but we don't want to infringe on our guests' privacy or make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Does anyone have suggestions of how we can prevent parties or catch them early enough? Thoughts? or suggestions? 

51 Replies 51
Ana5
Level 3
Sao Paulo, Brazil

I state in the house rules that third parties are not welcome and the place is for guests only. It is a wonderful rule once people are usually like "is it ok if my mom comes over?". Of course it is fine and people who want family around will ask you that, but the party dudes won't choose your house probably.

Another stratedy is leaving nothing but the essential. They cannot trow a party if you dont have enough dishes, for example. 

of course they can Ana 🙂 They will buy plastic cups and plates... ordrink d irectly from bottles and cans

Anyone who rents anything bigger then 25 m2 studio apartment will get party animals sooner or later

Rob43
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

I am an Airbnb host and have had similar issues. I found a new company that does noise monitoring for Airbnb hosts. Its called NoiseAware (website is www.noiseaware.io) and it isn't very expensive. I get alerts via text message when my guests are too loud during set quiet hours.  I told my neighbors about NoiseAware and they wanted one for their kids, ha 🙂

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Single night reservations for a large property - sounds like asking for trouble unfortunately....what a pity

I think as you suggest,

- beefing up house rules,

- putting deposit to highest,

- installing CCTV in 'common area' eg: on approach to front door and in front hallway (but making sure guests are aware of this for security reasons). You can even get dummy ones that look very realistic

- No other guests allowed on the property at any time of day, withouth prior agreement

- No noise audible outdoors after 11pm and before 7am - peaceful residential area

Amanda-and-Kate0
Level 3
Menlo Park, CA

I found a discount for Superhosts who want to monitor their homes (particularly larger properties) if they don't live nearby.  It avoids the use of cameras...  and it's an extra precaution / peace-of-mind I've come to love.  It's similar to NoiseAware except that it counts phones to measure activity levels.  I also use it to know the approximate time of guest arrivals/departures -- which helps my cleaners a lot!

Anyway - I thought the coupon might be useful to other hosts...

https://www.partysquasher.com/news/superhosts-get-30-off/

Amanda & Julie from Silicon Valley

What is the recommended placement for the Party Squasher box?  Can I hide it or does it have to be connected to the router?  I have the router in a bedroom closet in my Airbnb, and I'm afraid nosy guests might find the box and take it or disconnect it.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Simple answer - tell them you live next door 🙂 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Rob43 This looks great! Is it pretty clear when it is a party vs just people being loud? I rent a fairly big house and do not want to barge onto a big family just having a loud conversation after a couple of drinks vs an actual party out of control

Gracie5
Level 2
Pico Rivera, CA

I invested in arlo cameras. Best investment ever. Would you believe my very 1st guess threw a party and when I showed up I scared the heck out of them. When they left the next morning the house was clean and air BNB support helps me collect the extra  Guest charge.

Unfortunately I have had several parties at my house without my knowledge. The guest lie. My listing states no parties no smoking and they do both.  

I dont like the smell of cigarettes and I dont like my housing being trashed.   I end up putting out more trash bags in a weekend then I would in 2 or 3 months combined but the deny a party.  100 plastic red solo cups in the trash te house smells.    I shy away from the young renters with no ratings.   I prefer familys.  My homeowners association is against the Airbnb thing and these people ruin it for others.

I have decided to get a door camera so I can track who is coming and leaving.   

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

We allow parties with authorization, we charge them a fee and run it thru AirBnB and have a contract they must sign. We hold weddings/parties up to 125 people outdoors or 52 in the Villa indoors on the 6 acre property.

In my rules:

Personal parties and events are allowed but must be authorized by owner and additional costs apply. Unauthorized parties or events will ensure a $3,500 fee, be shut down and you will be asked to leave the property immediately.

My property/venue manager lives next door with her police husband 🙂 so it works for me.

I'm super curious how you price for events! 

Hello,

I have a property in Australia, a penthouse, that advises a strict no party, event or any extra guests rule. Yet over and over again I run into trouble. I have also now put a 'fine' in my house rules for parties. Have you ever had to apply your fee for someone that has had a secret party? And if so how was it enforced through Airbnb?
I'm finding it difficult to even get payment for damages caused by guests from Airbnb, let alone a fee on top of damages!

Thank you in advance!

Shannon

is there any way you could share your contract as a sample for us to follow?
We have had several parties now and want to nip it in the b---.

Also...how do you collect the additional costs? They pay you directly?

Great information....Thank you for sharing.