House Rules Violation

Skylar1
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

House Rules Violation

I have 10 guests staying in my apartment right now. We have cameras and the House Rules state the premises are survellienced. Addtionally, they state no pets. The guest brought a dog with them. Last night I called them on it and they made the dog sleep in one of their cars. Which that was after the guest stated the person who brought the dog was going to find a new place. Now day two of their last nigth the just brought the dog back in. What should I do? I'm concerned because I have back to back bookings. People like my family and I are sensitive to pet allergies, further I do not want the couches or carpet to have that dander on them or urine for the next guest. Not to mention damaging our carpet in a modern home. Should I cancel their reservation? How should I approach the situation?

7 Replies 7
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Skylar1, whatever you do, don't cancel. There are strict penalties when a host cancels. Inform AirBnB immediately, describing what has happened, indicating that you want the guests to be removed and rehoused (or least the guest with the dog). One of your major house rules has been broken. 

You could also inform the guest that you're taking this step. Perhaps he'll move of his own accord.

There is a contact number for AirBnB at the bottom of your guest's itinerary, which you should find in your message section.

Skylar1
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Thank you for the information.  I have reached out to both Airbnb and the guests. They are nice but I am irrated with the disregard for the rules. I will work through this with them with hopes everything runs smooth from here on out. To make for a wonderful experience minus the dog. 

Skylar,

In the future you may consider contacting AirBnB immediately upon their arrival with the dog and letting the guest know that the dog cannot enter the premises.  Another way to ensure compliance about the dog is to state that you are making a claim against the security deposit for fumigating the place after she brought the dog on premises in defiance of your house rules which she agreed to. It has been my experience that AirBnB does the right thing if you can show proof of damages. Your health allergies to dogs, and your house rules are proof enough but a photograph of the guest having the dog inside is better.

Jypsie-Rose0
Level 2
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines

What can a host do if the guest violates the house rules? What is air bnb's action against the guest ? There has to be sanctions for those kinds of guests especially those who trash your place and leave it at a mess despite the house rules asking them to keep the home clean.  

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This would irritate me. When it comes to leases, landlords charge a "pet fee" in Los Angeles. Hopefully they're checking out sooner than later. Leave them a 1 star review for that intentional violation of your rules. If they leave you a nasty review in return, people will understand your position AND future guests who are thinking about sneaking in a pet will stay elsewhere.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Skylar1

Do not cancel by yourself.

Call airbnb and ask them to have the reservation cancelled.