House Rules need to be more prominent, not hidden in a drop-down menu.

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

House Rules need to be more prominent, not hidden in a drop-down menu.

When guests are booking, they need to be highly observant to detail in order to find the House Rules they are supposedly accepting before booking. This means that most guests miss the rules entirely, which causes a lot of problems for listings that are more complex than the norm. The screenshot how NONE of my rules are actually visible during the booking process, unless you notice the "read more" dropdown menu, which needs to be clicked so that the rules are displayed.Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 14.34.20.png

91 Replies 91

Hi @Quincy 🙂

Thank you very much for your reply. I also got a Huawei an P20 PRO. What brand is your phone @Kath9?

I still can't unfold those 2 sections - the location section and the house rule section. It's strange that it is only some sections and not all of them. 

@Quincy @Sandra856 I have a Samsung (A8 I think). I just checked and I am still unable to expand the house rules. Thanks for getting on to this Quincy.

Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

@Sean95 Android, actual version. or might be an issue because I'm using the app as beta version? I should test to reinstall the regular version and leaving the beta program. 

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

I think is less tiring this way.. I mean if you reading it properly, I don't think you will miss "read more" cause it is quite a common button.. some time they are just lazy, i don't think is the layout..

if the layout is tiring certainly it cause more miss out than an easy to read layout.. 

is just a click.. like an agreement you can just sign it or read it just write win 20,000 USD and say is a joke at the end.. hehehhehehe

Jeffrey Bong
Eugene78
Level 3
СПБ, Russia

100% agreed!

Nobody cares to read dropdown info thoroughly hidden in the caves of this site. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

...aaaand yet another barrier to booking removed/concealed by a rather convenient "glitch". Gotta keep those bookings rolling in, one way or another. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

{ @Sean95  I totally agree that hiding rules so deep down is a nonsense. I have it written in my house rules if the guest read everything till the end to let me know and he will get a chocolate on the pillow. We hosted 150  groups in the last year and maybe just 2 of them mentioned it.

We printed our house rules on the paper and we leave it on the table in the apartment next to the wifi password

@Branka-and-Silvia0 What a great idea why didn’t I think of this. I’ve had a few horrors in the last month and I know for a fact they either didn’t read my house rules or promptly forgot them on arrival and proceeded to make life miserable for everyone else living in my home. 

@Branka-and-Silvia0 OMG I LOVE THIS!! I'm going to do the same. Need to buy some nice Lindt chocolates from Costco - an expense I normally cannot justify for myself but if it can reward people who spare me the aggravation, then it's totally worth it LOL. Maybe I'd hide the mention of a "gift" at the 3/4 mark through the text instead of the very end, so it doesn't pop out as much for people who didn't actually read everything.

@Sean95  well, you could mention Milka at 3/4  and Lindt at the end of your house rules :))) Don't buy them upfront, the date will expire before you hear the first feedback 😄 😄

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

I rarely use AirBnB as a guest, but I remember being very disappointed by the layout of booking details. I believe they put experiences before important information for guests, which was not awesome.  It's really a bummer given how important house rules are to good guesting.

Besides hidden a drop down menu, the house rules appear after the coments of the guests, almost at the end of the Airbnb page.

Lola230
Level 2
Smyrna, GA

Totally agree. If anybody cares, I found a pretty effective workaround.... I set one of my Automated Messages to go out to the guest the day they book, with the house rules. It’s like a gentle “in case you missed it, here are our house rules” type of email. Since it’s automated, I’m not worried about a guest not seeing it. It’s been working well for me. 

@Lola230  As far as I know, there's no way to "schedule" a message to be automatically sent on a particular date..... I used pre-written messages as well, but still need to manually select and then them. Do you know a trick that I don't?

Hi. I use SmartBnB for my message automation. Sorry I should’ve mentioned that. I set my house rules as an email to go out 24 hours before check in. Here’s my verbiage ... it seems to help set the tone without being too harsh. 

Hi there!

Again, we are so glad you chose our property for your stay and we strive to make sure it’s memorable. 

Upon walking into the home, you will be pleased to see how well kept, clean, and undamaged it is. We attribute this not only to our keen attention to detail but mostly to our guests! 

We have been fortunate to have guests that take care of the home and follow the house rules thereby allowing the next guest, like yourself, the chance to enjoy it the way they did. 

We are fine with our guests having company and entertaining a few friends. Having fun is what life should be about! We do, however, expect every guest to honor their agreement to respect the house rules. In case you haven’t had a chance to review them, we have listed them below. Again, enjoy your stay and let us know how we can assist you in any way! 

HOUSE RULES:

Smoking is absolutely NOT allowed inside the property. NO VAPING either. NO SMOKING OF ANY KIND, whatsoever, inside the home. The smoke detectors are very sensitive and will activate in the event of smoke. 

NO LARGE PARTIES or excessive drinking. 
Small gatherings are ok but NO MORE than the allowed 6 guests can stay overnight. Additional overnight guests past 6 guests will be charged $25 per guest. We have to be strict about this so that the wear and tear on the home is kept to a minimum. 

Please use Uber or Lyft or traditional Taxi services if you feel your extra guests cannot drive home safely.  

Do NOT tape or pin or glue or adhere anything to any wall at anytime. This will damage the paint and will assess a charge of $75.00. 

Do NOT light any candles or create any open flames inside the home. The grill outside is the only controlled fire that is allowed outside. 

Please respect the neighbors. Any loud outside gatherings should end by 10pm or be moved inside the home.

Again, these rules are not meant to detract you from having a good time. We have these rules to ensure a positive experience for both the guests AND the hosts. 

We thank you in advance,

Lola

and here is my link for my property if anyone cares 🙂

https://www.airbnb.com/h/beautifulbungalow