House Rules need to be more prominent, not hidden in a drop-down menu.

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

House Rules need to be more prominent, not hidden in a drop-down menu.

When guests are booking, they need to be highly observant to detail in order to find the House Rules they are supposedly accepting before booking. This means that most guests miss the rules entirely, which causes a lot of problems for listings that are more complex than the norm. The screenshot how NONE of my rules are actually visible during the booking process, unless you notice the "read more" dropdown menu, which needs to be clicked so that the rules are displayed.Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 14.34.20.png

91 Replies 91

Thank you @Sandra856 for your help. Makes me still believe that I'm not just stupid to use my phone. 😉 

@Monika--Elisabeth0 Sorry, wenn ich nochmal nachfrage, wenn ihr im Reisemodus seid, oder wenn Euer Inserat als Gastgeber anschaut?  Habt Ihr iPhone oder Android?

Ich bin in der App in den Reisemodus gewechselt und habe meine eigene Wohnung in Koblenz gesucht und klicke auf die Hausregeln, wenn ich dann meinen ganzen Text lesen will, tut sich gar nix. 😞

Monika--Elisabeth0
Level 10
Vienna, Austria

@Denis-Mark0, ich habe Android und es funktioniert auch aus der Gast-Seite.  Bei uns ist also alles in Ordnung.

Alles klar, @Monika--Elisabeth0 , vielen Dank für Euer Feedback. Ich werde die App mal deinstallieren und neu installieren.

Monika--Elisabeth0
Level 10
Vienna, Austria

@Sandra856, In German everything is fine. This is probably a bug because airbnb is constantly changing things.

Sean95
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

My listing is a bit particular because I don't endeavour to give my guests an "experience". I'm offering an inexpensive and minimalistic option for staying in an extremely expensive city for relatively cheap (my price matches what you'd pay for a bunk-bed in a hostel dormitory).

Running AirBnB is VERY secondary to my job and all my other commitments, so the way my listing is designed is very much geared towards people who read the listing content and take care of themselves, without bothering me or getting in my way. The price I charge is for the space, not for my time. That might sound a tad curmudgeonly, but the reality is that I'm just too busy to coddle my guests and the way I see it, if they want to benefit from my rock bottom prices, then they can bloody well make the effort to understand my system and integrate themselves into it.

That said, I'm always willing to offer touristic guidance. But for the most part, everything is written in one of my documents somewhere or other so that the guests flowing through my home don't break my focus on all my other projects.

For those who are interested, this is the automatic message I send to people after they book:

Hello and welcome to my home!

*** It is highly recommended that you read this message and look through the listing photos before asking questions and especially before arrival. If you are left with unanswered questions after having done both, then please feel free to reach out and I’ll do my best to help. ***

------------------------------

I) OUR INTERACTION

I have an unpredictable schedule so I cannot say whether I’ll be available to greet you on arrival. We might not meet at all or you might find that I’m constantly home – please be prepared for either scenario.

I'm usually very busy when I’m home, so please try to be as independent as possible. That said, I’m happy to provide recommendations and direct you to the appropriate resources if I have time.

II) HOUSE RULES

1. HOUSE MANUAL: Once you have booked, the “House Manual” will become visible. Please read it before sending me questions. It explains everything you need to know about the lockboxes, password, check-in/check-out and parking. Make sure you are able to access to the “House Manual” when you arrive at the door, or else you might not be able to get your keys.

2. NEIGHBOURS: This listing is for apartment #1. Please do not bother the tenants of apartment #2 or the businesses at ground level, as they are not involved with AirBnB.

3. CHECK-OUT: Check-out is at 11:00AM. Later check-out times can sometimes be accommodated, depending on my schedule. If I’m not available to take your keys at the end of your stay, you will use Lockbox B to return your keys (see Checkout Procedure under “House Manual”).

4. SHOES: No outdoor shoes are to be worn inside the apartment. Once you are at the top of the stairs, please remove your shoes BEFORE entering the apartment and place them on the rack.

5. DOORS: Do not lock the main door to the building. The door to the apartment, on the other hand, MUST be locked at all times (even if someone is home).

6. CLIMATE CONTROL: You may adjust the climate of your room to your liking. However, the steps below must be followed to ensure your adjustments do not affect the rest of the apartment.

a) WINTER – If the heat in your room is on, please ensure your window is closed. If you must open the window, then turn off the heat and close your door.

b) SUMMER – If the air conditioner in your room (only present during summer months) is on, please ensure your window is closed. If you must open the window, then turn off the air conditioner and close your door.

The curtains must not be placed in front of the air conditioner because they can block the air intake and cause damage.

7. PETS: I love animals and I allow them! But I love my sleep even more, so noisy animals are NOT ALLOWED (barking dogs, squawking parrots, cats in heat, etc).

8. KITCHEN/FOOD: Food is not included and cooking is not allowed ("kitchen" is shown as "not included" under "amenities"). You may use the fridge, microwave and kettle. You may help yourselves to coffee and tea (French press).

9. DISHWASHER: Do not turn off the water for the kitchen sink when the dishwasher is connected. Do not move, disconnect, or otherwise interfere with the dishwasher.

10. BATHROOM ACCESS: There is a whiteboard on the bathroom door which occasionally reserves a 15-minute period in the morning so I can get ready for work. If you notice a conflict with your plans, please let me know ASAP so I can adjust my alarm clock accordingly.

11. LAUNDRY: The laundry machine is off-limits due to technical problems ("laundry" is shown as "not included" under "amenities").

III) HOUSE MANUAL

The room you have rented is in apartment #1, NOT apartment #2.

Wi-Fi Network Name: Sean's Guest

Wi-Fi Password: airbnbguest

1. LOCKBOX INSTRUCTIONS: Lockboxes are mini safes used for exchanging keys and they allow me to offer 24-hour check-in/check-out. The listing photos display the locations of Lockbox A and Lockbox B. Lockbox A is for check-in and Lockbox B is for check-out.

The password to the appropriate lockbox will be the last 4 digits of whichever phone number is registered on your AirBnB profile.

On the front of the lockbox, there is a black plastic cover. Pull the top of this cover towards yourself to expose the keypad. Type in the password and then push down on the silver lever while pulling it out towards yourself. If you make a mistake or the lockbox becomes unresponsive, depress the black lever near the "0" key to "CLEAR ALL".

Upon retrieving your keys, you must re-lock the box. Type in the password again and push the keypad back into place while sliding the silver lever downward. Once the keypad is in place, release the silver lever so it can re-engage the lock. Give it a tug to ensure it is locked.

2. CHECK-IN PROCEDURE: Since my schedule is unpredictable, I don’t know whether I can personally give you the keys. When you arrive, inspect the pipes next to the building door to see whether Lockbox A is there or not. You will then know which of the below methods to use.

METHOD 1: If Lockbox A is absent, just ring the doorbell and I will let you in.

METHOD 2: If Lockbox A is present, do not ring the doorbell because I am either sleeping, unavailable or not home. Go ahead and retrieve your keys and let yourselves in. Re-lock the box to protect it from water damage and theft.

3. KEYS: The "Canada" key is for both locks on the building door and the other key is for the apartment.

4. CHECK-OUT PROCEDURE: Lockbox B must be used for check-out and it is attached to my apartment door. Lock the apartment door, open the lockbox and place the keys inside. Once your keys have been deposited in the lockbox, re-lock it.

5. PARKING: There are 2 types of parking within a 1-minute walk from the apartment.

a) SOMETIMES FREE: The diagonal parking spots directly in front of the building are free from Monday - Saturday between 6:00pm - 9:00am and all day Sunday. Outside of those times, the meter charges $1.50/hour. This can be paid at the meter or you can download the GreenP app and pay without leaving the apartment, using the meter code 8411.

b) ALWAYS FREE: There are nearby residential streets with free all-day and overnight parking. These spots are listed below and they are also indicated on a map in the Guest Handbook that will be in your room:

Judith Dr, between Northridge Ave and Lankin Blvd.

Coxwell Blvd (NOT Coxwell Ave), between Barbara Crescent and Taylor Dr.

Durant Ave, between Judith Dr and Plains Rd.

Monika--Elisabeth0
Level 10
Vienna, Austria

@Denis-Mark0, dass es im Englischen nicht funktioniert kann auch damit zusammenhängen, dass bisher die Hausregeln nicht auf Englisch übersetzt wurden ( war hier schon Thema).  Oder es ist ein Bug.

Geht es bei dir auf deutsch nicht?

Ich habe gerade als Gast bei dir gesucht und kann die Hausregeln ohne Problme öffnen und lesen.

@Monika--Elisabeth0  Meine App ist die ganz normale deutsche App aus dem Playstore (aktuellste Version). Aber wenn ich auf "Erfahre mehr" klicke tut sich nichts. Ich kann meinen eigenen Freitext nicht lesen.

Und Sandra aus Kopenhagen hat das selbe Problem, sie konnte Euren freien Text auch nicht lesen.

Ich habe es gerade in diesem Moment auch mal probiert.

Nach "Rauchen ist auf der Terrasse nur erlaubt..." ist schluss. Mehr bekomme ich von Euren Regeln nicht zu sehen.

Und wenn das bei jemand in Kopenhagen passiert, der bei Euch buchen möchte, und bei mir in Deutschland, der mit der App buchen möchte, haben wir ein Problem bei einer unbekannten Zahl von Benutzern.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kath9 @Denis-Mark0 @Sandra856, I'm sorry that this is taking a while to get an answer on. The team is still investigating this issue and asked if there were any hosts with an active booking so that they can look into this further. Does any of you have a booking at the moment?

Thanks,

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy Thanks for getting back to us. I don't have an active booking so I can't check, sorry. 

Hi @Quincy 🙂

There is still big problems with unfolding several "areas". I got an inquiry last week and couldn't unfold the guest's message and I couldn't unfold his reviews either in the app. I have contact with the CS and reported it. There seems to be lots and lots of bugs and glitches in the moment :-(. Hopefully everything will work soon.

@Quincy A guest is arriving tomorrow but I don't have any guests staying currently. 

I couldn't unfold these two "read more" sections in the inquiry :Screenshot_20191018_031202.jpg

Hi @Quincy no active booking right now. My next guests will arrive tomorrow and friday. 

But this technical issue is causing more problems for guests who want to book. I already re-installed the AirBnb-app on my phone, switched to traveller mode.

I can't see those house rules written by guests in any listing.

Because as @Sandra856 mentioned before, I am not able to unfold the text, too.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thank you all for the heads up @Denis-Mark0 @Sandra856 @Kath9! I will pass this on (again). I will get back to you as soon as I have an update. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen