House Swaps

Bernard23
Level 2
Castlebar, Ireland

House Swaps

Hi All

I am fairly new to Airbnb, and I was just wondering if the idea of "Swapping" homes with other hosts in different countries ever popped up ?. I think it would be a wonderfully affordable way to holiday around the world ! Any thoughts ??? 

Regards Bernard

10 Replies 10
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It woud not be possible on Airbnb, for one how will you pay Airbnb and secondly, its would require a whole new set of terms and conditions,measures and who will manage those...

Great idea though independent fo Airbnd.

Ama

@Bernard23

If you swap your rental place, you loose rental income during that period.  It would only be economical if the country you visit is more expensive than your home country or the country from where you rent.  

There are quite a few home exchange sites/organisations like HomeLink, Intervac, Homeexchange.

Thanks for the info - can you explain the different levels to me please - I see some people are level 9, others are level 10 ?

Kind Regards Bernard

@Bernard23

The levels refer to how active you are on the forum.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There are other sites that offer home exchanges - different market to AirBnB and pretty much sewn up by those operators at the moment.

Milou0
Level 1
Curaçao

Hi Bernard, I have the same idea. Why not, while my house is open to airbnb guests, I need someone to stay in my house while I am gone, to introduce the guests etc. etc. and I need a place in Amsterdam for a few months and can be a host there! So, I am a searching host! I am from Holland, so my english is not that accurate..but yeah, that is my wish...

Greetz, Milou

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Bernard23 This really isn't a good fit for Airbnb. You'd have to find a host with availability on the exact dates you want, and who also wants to travel to your area on the exact same dates. There are going to be very few matches.

Denise66
Level 2
United States

Hi Bernard,

I use homeexchange and it works like a charm.

best,

Denise

Good afternoon to everyone. I own an apartment in Seville (Spain). Two years ago, I made a non-simultaneous exchange with another family of AIRBNB in ​​Tuscany (Italy) with my family. I have to say, it was our first exchange, and we were afraid of what the experience was going to be like. The owners gave us their apartment and we believe the same. We went to Itallia in summer, and they sold this year at Christmas. He to say, that the experience has been WONDERFUL. My husband was really a type of exchange, but really, you save them the cost of accommodation, and you know your friends, which is to say, they are lovely and today, our friends. There are those who make simultaneous exchanges, that is, that occupies the time that you occupy yours. In these cases there is no contact between hosts.

In any case, these exchanges are made between AIRBNB owners, so we all know how we would like our guests to leave our property when we leave. This year, for personal reasons, we have not been able to make another exchange, but it is our intention to continue doing it. On the home exchange pages, you must pay an amount. Here the advantage we have, is that being owners, we respect ourselves much more, and we do not have to pay anything. It is true that during the time that you lodge your guest, you do not receive money, but you do not pay when you travel. I take advantage to offer my property. Who wants to come to Seville?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mercedes2

Guest to Guest is pretty handy for those with second homes, airbnb apartments etc.  There is no fee to join.